ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone heard of Alterpower

Found this on the internet and have heard of racing teams using similar. Does anyone know anything about it?

ALTERPOWER

Though strickly speaking the alterpower is not new, I feel it needs to be brought to peoples attention as it is the best value performance increase per £ spent at £125. It works by stopping the alternator from charging at full throttle only, just when you want maximum power whilst accelerating. Most people do not appreciate how much power an alternator absorbs and one of the best things about it is that becuase most cars have similar alternators and equipment fitted to the car, the performance benefit is proportionally bigger the smaller the power of the engine, as the saving is the same regardless of engine size. EG. Say 8 bhp (at the wheels not flywheel) will be far more beneficial to a Saxo VTR with 70 BHP at the wheels, than a BMW with 200. We tested a Xantia on our rolling road, the minimum gain was 5 bhp and the max, with the lights, heater, heated rear window etc was 12 bhp. The point is, it is a conversion that you can feel when driving, not one of these, "I think it is better than before" jobs.

Just checked this out myself, seems a bit ingenious. According to the site a 1.9 205 saw an increase of 6bhp!

Sounds a bit too good to be true. If it does as it says then im sold, £125 for approx 6bhp increase its a bargain! Mind you i think Rhys has a point, wasnt the ecotek supposed to add bhp??!!

http://www.alterpower.co.ukwww.alterpower.co.uk

Anyone got one?

Been having a think about this again - sound theory if you think about; manufacturer bhp figures are quoted with the standard alternator hooked up so if you disconnect it at full throttle its gonna unleash extra bhp (engine can divert more power to ignition system etc). The fact racing teams use this (unlike ecotek) also makes it convincing......for 125quid can worth a go...

It is a very simple method of getting a few extra bhp, and does work.

You could wire up a switch yourself for a lot less £s but the alterpower is slightly more technical than just being a switch.

you could place a switch under your accelerator pedal so when you floor it, it pushes the switch which goes to a relay on the alternator and disconnects price £10 from Maplin lol