ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone painted their car themselfs?

Ph1 T
Alright, ive been thinking for a while now about having my ph1 sprayed as i think silver is boring and what something abit lairy its come down to either:

Orange
RB
White

Now over the next year the car is literally going to just be used on track as hoping to get another daily (fabia VRS) so dont fancy paying 1k+ for a paint job when i can spend that money on better things for the car..

so been thinking about giving it a go myself in the week and half i have off over Xmas. Now im not really experienced in painting done plenty of sets of wheels and other little bits and bobs but nothing like this. any tips from anyone whos done it before?

Im not too fussed about a 100% perfect job as my brakes and bits of tyre will no doubt ruin my paintwork after the first few trackdays so just after something good.. Id rather pay someone to do it if can get it cheap enough if not ill be having a crack myself..

So to anyone whos done this before any advice would be great.

Thanks Dan

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Painting is the easy part, its getting it prep'd properly that will determine how good the finish is.

My painters favorite saying is ''If you can piss, you can paint''

Ph1 T
LOL at that saying...

dont get me wrong im no numpty and am quite handy at a fair few things i agree i thought the prep would be the hardest..

i imagine plenty of sanding so that everythings perfectly smooth and filler if needed (allthough shouldnt be) before hand

if you plan to do it over xmas and have no way of heating the area you are planning to do it then don't bother and wait til the summer

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you're handy yourself, why not buy yourself some white vinyl and wrap it???

Its a lot easier to put right if you fcuk it up, unlike painting it!

I thought wrap was quite expensive?? May not be just something I had in my head

to just buy the vinyl isn't that expensive at all, will actually cost less than having to buy all the consumables/paint/spray gun etc to do a paint job

Ph1 T
Would this be an easier option than painting then you reckon? Tbh I think id be more confident in painting it than wrapping wouldn't have a clue how to do rear quaters properly with cuts and that

wrapping isn't hard at all, just need a heat gun, the vinyl, a vinyl applicator to remove the air bubbles, a scalpol and a spray water bottle

loads of guides on youtube

if you start messing up on a panel you can just lift it and reapply

Do it in a matt finish, will look hard as f**k on a track car and there's a lot less scope for it looking s**t than a gloss finish.

I agree with the above, I am going to re wrap my car when it comes back from painting :) I will try and find the people who supplied me with the vinyl! Will be less than £100 for materials so a lot less than decent paint will cost you and unless you have access to an extracted spray booth that can bake then the final results will be much better too :)

Ph1 T
Suppose your right,, I'm going to have to ring around a few vinyl shops then and get some quotes I'm swaying towards orange ATM

Do it in a matt finish, will look hard as f**k on a track car and there's a lot less scope for it looking s**t than a gloss finish.

if you are on about painting, painting a matt finish to a good standard is alot harder than any other finish

if you are on about painting, painting a matt finish to a good standard is alot harder than any other finish

In my experience it isn't, you don't have to worry about orange peel/it looking "dry" for a start, and dirt nibs will show up a lot less in it. As long as you get an even coating it's simple.

In my experience it isn't, you don't have to worry about orange peel/it looking "dry" for a start. As long as you get an even coating it's simple.

very easy to get un even coating/finish, alot of time can't be seen until you roll it out of the booth into daylight, shows up patchy alot of the time

Ph1 T
I agree with the above, I am going to re wrap my car when it comes back from painting :) I will try and find the people who supplied me with the vinyl! Will be less than £100 for materials so a lot less than decent paint will cost you and unless you have access to an extracted spray booth that can bake then the final results will be much better too :)

Did you wrap your yourself mate yeah if you could fire me a link to the people you bought it off that would be great £100 for materials is spot on also a lot cheaper than paint

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
go for it.

make sure the area is clean/ free from dust etc, warm. prep the paint well. wet an dry it with a very high grit to get rid of all the gloss from the paint then spray, flat, lacquer, flat, polish flat.

thats how id do it anyway :p

if its going to be a track **** you have nothing to lose :)

i vote ST orange

very easy to get un even coating/finish, alot of time can't be seen until you roll it out of the booth into daylight, shows up patchy alot of the time

I've never had a problem with it personally. An amateur painting a gloss finish is going to look worse than a matt finish I'd reckon.

Ph1 T
Tbf after these comments I think wrapping will be the way to go now colour choices opinions please,

So going to be track car ph1

ST orange
RB or similar of can get that wrap
white
matt black

What do you reckon

Ph1 T
I absolutely love that blue ph1 on here thts what gave me the idea

Like you say though orange I haven't seen before and would stand out

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
vaxuall vxr metalic green !

painting is easy. prep is the key.

as for anything else i can think that will be usefull to you. dont buy cheap s**t lacquer !

Ph1 T
Had a few people tell me now painting is easier than wrapping :/ confused what to do think I'm going to attemp to wrap it then if that fails go ahead with painting