ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone use Wordpress? Help/advice please :)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm completely new to this so please bear with me.

At work, I've been asked to create a site for a charity that we support. It needs to be a CMS, so essentially I create it, and hand it over to them if they wish to add anything to it in future. So it seems like Wordpress is the way forward.

I plan on using the .org variant, rather than the .com. Although the latter is a lot more simple to use (they host it on their own servers, etc), I find the lack of customisation limiting.

Now, in my head it was going to be simple. I find a website to host, pick a domain and then use install wordpress to my machine, to work in conjunction with the host's server that I've just sorted.

Apparently though, the charity is actually paying the hosting costs as they do with their current site.

How do I go about installing Wordpress on my machine but on their current host's server? Is that possible?

Hope that makes sense! I tend to stay away from web stuff.

Cheers,
Luke.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I may be reading it wrong but can't you just get the login details for their hosts server and fire the HTML/CSS etc on to there yourself? If so its pretty straight forward. You would need to transfer the domain also so that it points to that server.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I may be reading it wrong but can't you just get the login details for their hosts server and fire the HTML/CSS etc on to there yourself? If so its pretty straight forward. You would need to transfer the domain also so that it points to that server.

^ sounds bang on to me.

It wouldnt be on your machine, you would just change files and ftp them up, or for minor changes do them within the CMS in a browser pointed at thier host.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers gents, I'll look into it.

I was just under the impression that I'd need to download the WP framework on to my machine, and to do so would need a host - which they have.

I'll try to get their host details now.