ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone with a good Radar Detector

I need a RADAR DETECTOR!! ...I just wanted to come on and ask for anyone that can tell me what radar detectors they are using?? and what ones BEST detect the (van) speed traps...and the Gatsos etc? I was told once, that they can also be ignored after a while, as they can give so many false signals.. unless you buy a decent one!? There are so many out there, but which ones are better?

There were so many Speed cameras around Essex last night.. about 10pm (night time is not good for spotting the speed traps) coming home through Brentwood, 30 mph road...with a van parked with tree coverage around it! (snipers).. would have been all too easy to do 40mph+ down there as its a huge road and downhill... but I just had a sixth sense something was down there...and was right! Started to flash drivers coming the other way.. as there was another trap there side ... then looked in my mirror to FIND yet another Police van following me (and was just waiting for him to nick me for warning the other drivers!) in the end just pulled over, coz he was driving so dam close... was doin my head in....let him go by... staring at me as he passed by! They love to intimidate anyone thats got a decent car.....t*ssors! I agree, not Speeding around Schools or Towns.. but being away from all this...and finding these hidden traps is just easy revenue for the snipers! The largest main roads, with the lowest Speed limit (30mph) are the most common target.
Then joined the A127 from Brentwood to come back home towards Southend, had a very new and shiny blue EVO drive past at about 80mph as I was sticking to 60mph....still driving like an old lady at this point! Then was amazed that until I was totally level with it... spotted ANOTHER (van) speeding trap stuck right back behind the hedge on the side of the A127! Yet again....saved myself from another ticket! I havent driven this sensible for a while...and it was just as well!! Could have had 3 tickets by now... in a space of 20 minutes. Would normally drive down there around 75mph (or lots more if being silly) 60mph feeling like walking pace.

So.. feeling very relieved today!

This was all too close for comfort... If you have a radar detector, or can advise on the best buys... can u let me know before I lose my licence??

Cheers!!

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Road Angel mate, use it over here, and when I did the Gumball last year it was easy to get the information for the States as well.

i had a top of the line non GPS one and i sold it because it really wasnt that great. i would recommend a GPS one like a road angel. Gatsos send out weak signals so even the best dectectors only detect them at close range when you get too close. Also my snooper did ive many false alerts.

Embarrassed to say

On the A127, was it a guy holding a some kind of device near the bridge. 2 people i know have been done by this one. Think I could be the third myself and had my flipping dvd on at the time.

the 127 is murder i stick to about 70 with foot ready to plant the brake ( got a rough idea where they are)

i never speed up or down that road seen to meny people been caught

cupsport... yes, they were completely hidden just next to the bridge as you come onto the A127 from Brentwood.. the van was behind the hedge.. but what made me look to my left as I was almost level with them, was they had the black box sitting on the pathway, which was almost invisible at night!.. at that moment there werent any hand held devices being used. But, I read in the local paper that the police were about to swarm this area with police radar guns and mobile units, so looks like this is the start of it.

Going to buy the Road Angel... just been researching them on the web, and they are the best option at around 380 quid...and highly rated! Download the camera positions from the web onto the Road Angel and can also be used in friends cars if its there turn to drive. Also has a 360 laser detector!

Heres the link.. http://www.radar-direct.co.uk/roadangel.asp?Range=RoadangelRoad Angel

Just another quick warning... I must have been eating lucky bstad pills as I was slowed down by some traffic ahead in the fast lane the week before, on the A127 yet again~! To find we were overtaking a very well disguised Mobile Safety Camera van in the slow lane...that you wouldnt see if you were on a fly by... and then its too late. It just looks like a plain white van as your approaching it from behind, and the usual tinted out glass in the back and sides with the gatso camera printed on the side. Be Careful!!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

and dont get a Snooper 715i either. Although it does pick up radar, it also picks up automatic doors on shops, lamp-posts coming on at night, dogs urinating, old women picking sweet wrappers up and anything else it wants to beep at. The trouble is, with a 1 mile 360 degree radius, if youre in town then the thing is constantly beeping because is picking things up a mile away for that 360 degree radius. Not what you want when youre trying to listen to Tina Turners Greatest Hits. Not that I have it...it was a friend...ahem.

ps Just to clarify, that Tina Turner section of the paragraph was not true. It was Hansons Greatest Hits. Mmmbop et al.

I have used a Valentine One radar detector for a few years, one of the best for radar (although damm expensive), but have recently started using a Road Angel as there is so much the Valengtine cant pick up. If I bought again would probably spend a few more ££s to get the Origin B2 over the Road Angel, looks like the daddy!

Snooper S6R Neo. Non are that good tho unless you can mount the detector and GPS in a suitable place due to the reflective windscreens. Ideally the radar detector should be behind the grill but theres no space on my 172 so have to have it where cut out is on bottom of windscreen, but then you get inteference from wipers. The GPS goes on the parcel shelf. Halfords were selling these on Boxing day for £250, usual price £450+ !

Police dont use radar anymore and a road angel or B2 willpick up gatsos using GPS and also have a laser detector. Road angel should set you back £320 (see radargirl.com) aand then find a price matching company who will give a further £5 off!

If you want a detector thats good for gatsos and vans and hairdryers, try the Bel990/Bel550 (whatever its called now). About £300 and is superb on these. No GPS but then if youre in Essex theres no Truvelos or Laser ones. (Yet.)

I have one and I love it!

Embarrassed to say

Stay away from the snooper s5r, thinking it would be cheaper and with no subscription charges. I made the mistake of buying it and its totally useless. Makes loads of false alerts and when it is working it doesnt give you enough time to slow. Worst detection so far "K BAnd radar" voice alert as i went by the camera.

111s

Ive got a road angel for sale if anyones interested. £295 to your door. I dont do enough miles out of my local area to warrant keeping it. Money could be better spent elsewhere. (Exhaust)

Clio 197

As far as radar detectors are concerned, the Valentine is the best in my opinion. They also detect laser. Not cheap, but really super devices.

Hello All,

Currently use a Road Angel and Ique 3600 sat nav.

Road angel was the best when I purchased my radar GPS detector at the time.

Not that familar with the B2 but the Road Angel comes with 12months free updates then after that:-

£50 for a year

£79 for 2 years

£99 lifetime

I went for Lifetime. However I had to purchase the laser alert option as mine was one of the first. Never had the oportunity to use it though!