ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apex... Are they that bad??

As above, just generally wondering, are they as bad as people make out?

With Eibachs seemingly rising in price, to the point where coilovers may be a viable option for a few quid extra, would Apex cut it?
Are they really crashy, s**te etc?

Cheap for a reason?

I'm obviously wanting Sportlines, as I know that they're good, but I don't fancy the price tag atm - I'm actually on the lookout for a cheap second hand set, as I want some lows before CSS. ;)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
they're not "bad" as such. It would be difficult to make a bad spring, but they're totally mismatched rates to standard shocks. I prefer PI springs as the cheaper option personally, they're certainly a much better match for standard shocks.

Shocking imo only had them on the car for 1 day and removed them (Apex)

they give the perfect stance though

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Why didn't you buy Wick's set you r****d?

Apex aren't as bad as everyone makes out, but they do accentuate problems with shocks I've found.

Eibachs are by far better quality.

Don't be so tight.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not convinced there is any quality difference in terms of the material (maybe the powder coating but even then not much in it) between them and the eibach, but they require a shock with more resistance as they lessen the amount of travel which means that there isnt sufficient movement to allow the standard shocks to absorb corrctly as they are meant to.

I use a set on the rear of my turbo but with H&R shocks and that seems to work well, with the standard springs though they were too bouncy.

Edition 30
After reading people calling them back breakers, I've had 40mm on for 6 months and they feel fine.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Pm t21ads for his input as said cheap for a reason I had AVO springs on mine shocking (took em off after 5 days !) I now have sportlines best mod I have done they are dearer for a reason.
NEVER buy apex !! They should be given away free :D

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pm t21ads for his input as said cheap for a reason I had AVO springs on mine shocking (took em off after 5 days !) I now have sportlines best mod I have done they are dearer for a reason.
NEVER buy apex !! They should be given away free :D

I keep seeing people saying stuff like that, but never once have I seen anyone actually describe a problem that doesnt simply describe a mismatch between shocks and springs.
What do you think is actually wrong with the Apex then?
Are you just another "I fitted them with some random old shocks and I didnt like it" sort of person or did you find that the spring rate of the left one was massively different to the right one or something like that which would imply they were poor quality?

Astra H vxr
I was searching for some springs when I first got my clio every one told me eibachs sportslines are the best to go for but ain't that low so I decided to go for them which I was disappointed in not much of a drop soo took them off and now have Apex on had them on now for 4 months , seem fine when driving ain't crashy either as people make out and perfect height IMO

I had raceland coilovers on my car, then apex springs.

The racelands were more comfy and they are the crashiest things ever.

Eibach dont even look like they lower a car imo. The apex how ever do.

Half decent 2nd hand coilovers an option and just lower it slightly?

Evo 8 MR
I keep seeing people saying stuff like that, but never once have I seen anyone actually describe a problem that doesnt simply describe a mismatch between shocks and springs.
What do you think is actually wrong with the Apex then?
Are you just another "I fitted them with some random old shocks and I didnt like it" sort of person or did you find that the spring rate of the left one was massively different to the right one or something like that which would imply they were poor quality?

I had them on my old non sport and I bought the Apex shocks and springs, they were horrendously crashy. To give you an idea of what I mean whenever I drove over a pothole it was like driving over a massive speedbump at 90mph.

Arctic 182, GTD
I got apex on my 182 and tbh I think their alright, perfect drop for looks fro cheap and handlings still really good I think. Let's be honest depends what the roads like really ain't. If the roads are terrible their'll make any spring bad on standard shocks.

They were on the rear of my 182 when I bought it, I've since replaced them with standard springs but there was nothing "wrong" with the apex, much stiffer than the cup ones I put back on so I would recommend some stiffer shocks tbh.

Interesting views.

Don't get me wrong, unless a stupidly cheap set on my doorstep come up for sale, I will not be putting Apex on the car. I just wanted to know people's views on them, as they have varied views about them.
Sportlines are my preferred option. I do feel coilovers are a bit wasted on me though too tbh.

Whats this about PI springs too? What are they like in comparison?

Edition 30
No idea, they must be similar? What drop were you thinking, mine are 35mm.

They must be similar, no?

I think the 1*2 drop is 40mm on Apex. Sportlines are meant to be 30mm. PI are 25mm. Prolines are 10-15mm iirc.

I'm only wanting about 30mm tbh. 40mm is the absolute max that id go. I only want to reduce a little bit of arch gap.

Had them on my first Cup and loved them tbh.
This is the reason for my OP.

A lot of people who have actually had them, say that they're alright (many still say they don't like them). Then the masses, which many may not have had, say they're terrible.

Anyone know much about PI springs?

SQ5
My old one sat perfectly on Apex and handled really well, killed rear shocks though.

DSC00106.jpg

(I miss seeing these cars in mint condition)

Then uprated to coilovers which were a lot better. I then owned another Ph1 and put Apex on and ride quality wasn't as good, possibly due to knackered shocks or slightly bigger wheels.

4d098134.jpg

I'd say they're fine if your shocks are in good order!

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
I opted Apex over Eibach springs on my 1.4, however, if I could go back and choose again I'd have the Eibachs.

The Apex springs were pretty stiff. Comfort wise I don't rate them much. I had comments from passengers in my car like *these road surfaces are terrible!* noooo, that'll be my springs. I found the car bounced around a fair bit too.

Aesthetically, they looked great, the arch gap was reduced and the wheels sat lovely in the arches. The car handled a lot better with the Apex's, which is to be expected really.

I'll be getting Eibachs over any other springs when I get my 182. It's worth spending a little more over a better quality product IMO.

Evo 1,ph1,supersport
I've used them on 5 or 6 different rs clios with slightly varying results, very much damper dependant! If your dampers are healthy they are fine imo but will amplify any effects of slightly tired dampers. The best results i had were apex and koni adjustables which i thought was a great handling and not crashy at all setup just nice and firm......koni's are mega expensive now tho :eek:

Mk1 16v brooklands
I had some, and found them stiff, but i didnt actually mind it, gave the car a decent stance aswell.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I've used them on 5 or 6 different rs clios with slightly varying results, very much damper dependant! If your dampers are healthy they are fine imo but will amplify any effects of slightly tired dampers. The best results i had were apex and koni adjustables which i thought was a great handling and not crashy at all setup just nice and firm......koni's are mega expensive now tho :eek:

I totally echo this.

My Phs2 with apex and koni dampers was an absolute HOOT to drive

Dont be blinded by she Eibach bumming sheep until you have tried some. If you dont like em, sell em on for the same price. No biggy

285532_10150725449845096_536780095_20241616_4785259_n.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive only ever used them on non RS cars, i fitted just a set of -60mm springs to a DCI and it was horrible, on 2 sepperate cars though ive used the full apex -60mm kit with springs and dampers and it was more than up to the job! so as said, match them with a better matched set of dampers and they are fine!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
This is the reason for my OP.

A lot of people who have actually had them, say that they're alright (many still say they don't like them). Then the masses, which many may not have had, say they're terrible.
The ride isn't nice with standard shocks, they're very bouncy. I still see a fair number of cars with them and test drive most of them

Anyone know much about PI springs?

What you want to know? They're better suited to stock shocks (when the shocks are fresh) than Apex, and cheaper and lower than Eibachs. I've used them on loads of cars for years.

Here's a172 with PI springs
296831_228939000493262_1620260176_n.jpg