ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple got something wrong!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So my MBP has been having a strange issue where it won't wake up from sleep. The clamshell will be open (and remain open), the display will goto sleep, the front LED will start to pulse.

Now sometimes when you go back to it, you move a mouse, push a key, the LED will go out (and sometimes not) the keyboard will light up, but the display backlight will not recover. Sometimes you can even see the mouse moving if you hold the screen against some light so you can see the LCD without a backlight. Either way the only thing you can do is hold the power button and reset it.

I once even had an issue where the backlight came back on, but stayed set at a low light, you could even use the buttons to adjust the backlight and the OSD notification would display, but the actual backlight wouldn't adjust. Again, a reset fixed this.

Rang Apple quite a few times, they took me through diagnostics and p-refresh or something like that. Didn't fix it. Took it to Apple, they did a few hardware checks, everything was fine. They recommended I try reinstalling from scratch to eliminate software bug from the equation, it didn't.

Finally took it again and they held onto it for a week, went back and it had had £850 of work done :dead: Thank the lord for 3 year Apple care!

New battery, new screen, new keyboard, new battery. Result.

Opened it up and they've put the pauper gloss screen on it (I had the anti-glare option) and it's not even the hi-res variant. Obviously they'll fix it but they've got to order the part which is now going to be January and if nothing else it makes me extra glad I originally went with the hi-res anti glare option.

Still, it's a bit annoying this is still going on but I do love this new keyboard smell!!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So basically, you had an issue, they tried to resolve it, failed, so replaced everything for free... They then made another mistake, which they'll also rectify for free, and you're complaining?

If that was a sony/dell you'd have waited 10 hours on the phone to tech support, had to box up the laptop, post it off, wait for assessment, they'd try to fix it, send it back, then you'd have had to repeat all of the above to rectify the second fault.

Bit weird - logic board doesn't involve replacing the screen

Sounds more like the extent of the work was so high that they put your hard drive in another macbook pro and gave you that - but with the wrong screen

BMW M4; S1000 RR
So basically, you had an issue, they tried to resolve it, failed, so replaced everything for free... They then made another mistake, which they'll also rectify for free, and you're complaining?

If that was a sony/dell you'd have waited 10 hours on the phone to tech support, had to box up the laptop, post it off, wait for assessment, they'd try to fix it, send it back, then you'd have had to repeat all of the above to rectify the second fault.

And what?

What did they replace to the value of £850?

Battery, screen, keyboard. But I remember 4 entries on the receipt, but the one they emailed to me only has the keyboard on it (the screen was a result of being broken whilst repairing the keyboard).

Not really the end of the world as I will have effectively a new unit, but it's a PITA going to the Apple in the shopping centre as parking is always a nightmare. I would prefer it to have not gone wrong in the first place as if it goes wrong like this again in 2 years I do not have a warranty to cover a £800 repair.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Nice shot.

I only bought the 15" because I couldn't get the anti-glare on the 13" and sometimes wondered whether the extra 500£ was worth it. Now actually owning one with a glass front I have to say yes, and that's not to mention the resolution difference.

You have AppleCare. Phone them, ask for the case reference number then call Group 8 in England and get them to collect it FOC.

Maybe as they were fixing the machine they thought they'd fix the screen and give you a good one?

LOL exactly what I was thinking. Glossy screens are FTW.

EDIT: New keyboard and screen etc. I think what actually happened was you got a refurbed MBP of a slightly different spec and your hard drive put in it.

I feel your pain. I hate my 13" MBP due to the low resolution. My 17" is much much better, but still nothing like an iPhone 4/S.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Apple messed up my repair too, which annoyed me as its not cheap to have to keep driving to the apple store.

Complained, suggesting they either reimburse my fuel, open an apple store in Leeds or give me a new one. I got a brand new replacement, not bad, would of preferred a local store though!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
What happened for them to give you a new one???

Went in for intermittent wifi dropouts, sd reader not working and right hand speaker crackling. They replaced airport card, logic board and speaker. Quoted 10 days, was ready in 2 which was really good.

Got it home and both speakers now crackled, had a really tinny sound to them too, so emailed them and got a call the next day saying come in and you can have a new one, new 3 year AppleCare too :)

Ohhhh nooooo, they have honoured the extended warranty....messed up.....and replaced that too.....shoot them all!!