ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple Pay

I've found using the regular wireless cards much more convenient than using my iPhone.

1st time I used it at McDonalds and it popped up security check so I had to use my card anyway and the 2nd time it took a couple of goes in Boots. It was successful on my phone but not the till so I had to do it again.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
How are you supposed to look baller paying by iPhone?

Any council scummer with 45 kids can get a 6+ 128gb for a fistful of benefits per month.

But pulling out a walletful of non-sequential 50's, not any slackjawed northerner with a vagina can do that.

But in answer, no, I wont be using it. But I do like how the first-use examples are

Wetherspoons
Subway

Class.

To be honest in the pub will be one of the best uses! Drives me mad when people are paying by card for a couple of drinks... a few of those and you're stood for half hour waiting on a Friday/Saturday night. If this really catches on it could be seconds per person rather than minutes.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Obviously I'm just talking about contactless in general I guess, it's just all new to me as I never actually bothered using my contactless bank card for some reason!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be amusing when people think they can use it everywhere, and then go without their wallet. Oh, and then their phone gets lost/stolen :smiley:

In a slightly similar vein, I was stood for about 45 seconds touching my card on a card reader before the person behind the counter pointed out it wasn't contact less.

I have no clue what took them so long to point it out, I don't know what sort of mental episode they thought I was having, just touching my card for a few seconds, then sighing.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
"Do you accept Apple pay?"
"Yeah"
"Great!"
"f**k, batteries dead"

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I just don't get it, they seem to be using technology just for the sake of using it and making stuff more complex & convoluted than it needs to be. (Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Shell scratch and sniff pay)

It's like the apps to control your TV from your phone, pick up phone, unlock phone, swipe through pages to find the app, launch app, go to the right screen, press the button, TV channel changed.

or.

Pick up remote, press button.

Listerine & Poledo
In a slightly similar vein, I was stood for about 45 seconds touching my card on a card reader before the person behind the counter pointed out it wasn't contact less.

I have no clue what took them so long to point it out, I don't know what sort of mental episode they thought I was having, just touching my card for a few seconds, then sighing.
If I was still in retail, and we didn't have Apple pay, I'd still let people try. For as long as they like.

Watch as they start questioning their life choices.

How will they ever get to recover their scene points from this......how many trips to Charity shops will it take. How many sets of lens-less glasses will they need to wear.
How many porker eno Uni girls will they need to rifle in the back of their '97 Jetta.

All because someone they don't know saw them fail to use their iCash somewhere...probably just best if they ironically threw themselves in front of a train.

Fiesta ST-3
I've used it more than once, would I use it over my actual contact less card? Nope.

It's only real use for me has been when I've left my wallet at home or in another location and I fancy a quick bite to eat.

Fiesta ST-3
Edit I have used it in conjunction with my justpark app. Made life more simple than taking me to safari to log into PayPal. Would you like to use apple pay, yes, thumb print, done.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I just don't get it, they seem to be using technology just for the sake of using it and making stuff more complex & convoluted than it needs to be. (Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Shell scratch and sniff pay)

It's like the apps to control your TV from your phone, pick up phone, unlock phone, swipe through pages to find the app, launch app, go to the right screen, press the button, TV channel changed.

or.

Pick up remote, press button.

Yeah but it's not more complex... hold iPhone to payment terminal with thumb on button. Done.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Just used it for the first time!

Phone was locked at the time. Hold it up to contactless, card appears on screen and asks for fingerprint, scan print - done! Very very impressed!

Then updates you on how much you paid and who you paid it to.

I prefer it to my bank card contactless as this requires a fingerprint and is therefore more secure!

I really like it lol

SQ5
The only difference is you can put your thumb anywhere on the card, the iPhone just needs it in the correct place.

172 Turbo
But miles more secure! I'd rather have the "inconvenience" of placing my thumb on a reader than having a card that needs no authorisation at all!
But the daily limit is so small and I'm sure the bank would refund any contactless payments made if you reported the lost card.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
At the minute the limits may be small but there are some retailers pushing for the removal of limits and it's only a matter of time IMO before the banks do.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yup that's it... with Apple Pay the limit is £20 at the moment, soon to be increased to £30 and eventually... limitless, advantage Apple.

SQ5
I wouldn't want an NFC card with an endless limit, but having a phone with fingerprint recognition makes the security on it second to none.

Would be very easy for some to buy a PC or high value item in a found NFC card, makes it easier than the good old day of signatures!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I find it frustrating that not everywhere that has tap to pay has it advertised... I think it's going to take a while before you can really reply on this (NFC card or Apple Pay)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Because I forget to look then look like a mong tapping my iPhone on to a card reader that doesn't accept it! Rather it was all or nothing...

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just put my two bank cards on my Passbook, do I simply put my phone on the card machine and then put my thumb on the reader? I don't want to look even more stupid than I already will using my phone to pay. Thanks!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Just put my two bank cards on my Passbook, do I simply put my phone on the card machine and then put my thumb on the reader? I don't want to look even more stupid than I already will using my phone to pay. Thanks!

That's how it works with one card, I assume if you have a second it'll ask you to select the card for payment?

SQ5
Halifax up and running now, have used it twice. It's very good and just as quick as using a normal card, actually quicker as I didn't get my wallet out ;)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I use it probably 5 times a day or more. So much easier. My wallet stays in my back and my phone is always in my pocket. Plus the contactless on my card seems to die off after a couple of weeks. Love it.

Golf R/Leon FR
I set this up on my 6S, called Halifax to verify the card, then did a back up and restore and now it's asking me to call Halifax again to verify? Any way around it?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
The NatWest advert for Apple Pay...

I can't help thinking if there was an attractive young girl studying in a coffee shop and I asked for the barista to make her a coffee and deliver it to her table and I'm paying for it, he'd look back at me like I was a sex offender or lurking pervert.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Anyone tried this with One Stop? Tried a couple of times now and it always crashes there machine and doesn't go through properly! Only place I've ever had trouble.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've tried this twice, once at a pub and once at my uni cafe. It says 'done' on my phone but they say it hasn't gone through, and I tried over and over.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm quite interested by the idea of this tbh.

The idea of it is brilliant, but I'm sure there'll be a fair few teething problems with it

The NatWest advert for Apple Pay...

I can't help thinking if there was an attractive young girl studying in a coffee shop and I asked for the barista to make her a coffee and deliver it to her table and I'm paying for it, he'd look back at me like I was a sex offender or lurking pervert.

Or she'd be like "wtf have you done to this?"

dk

911 GTS Cab
not even set this up yet, can't see the point, my debit card is contactless and is always in my front pocket, as is my phone, so its quicker to pay with the card as i don't need to press anything or set anything up.

I can see me using it when the limit is upped to something like £100, that would be useful, but when its the same as a contactless card, can't see me ever setting it up.