ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ARB's and strut braces

Clio 172
Hi All
I am currently having a 182 built to Clio the k-tec 182 championship spec.However, this is just a base before I add more parts.

I am looking at getting a set of ARB's from either k-tec or pure Motorsport (pure come in two thickness or 19mm or 22mm) so wondering which to go for? And also where to get a front and rear strut brace from?

Cheers
Josh

BG Clio 182
If you're going braces then you need to evaluate why. The OMP ones look good admittedly, but do nothing and just drill into your strut towers. The Pure motorsport one actually works as it uses their top mount kit and bolts to that. If you're wanting solid top mounts then that's the way to go.

RARB you want whiteline or PMS. The PMS one is thicker so you'll have to evaluate your use for it. For track use you may be better with the PMS thick one but for road use perhaps the whiteline would be a good compromise. I'll be going whiteline and know most people do.

Clio 172
Hi Bear Head, many thanks for the reply.

I will be using the car purely for track-days.
With the cage fitted, would it need a rear strut brace or would just a front strut brace suffice?
With the k-Tec suspensions, would you still need to get there top mounts?
Where would you get the white line arb from?

Cheers
Josh

BG Clio 182
Hi Bear Head, many thanks for the reply.

I will be using the car purely for track-days.
With the cage fitted, would it need a rear strut brace or would just a front strut brace suffice?
With the k-Tec suspensions, would you still need to get there top mounts?
Where would you get the white line arb from?

Cheers
Josh

If it's track day use only I'd get the stiffer larger bore PMS (pure motorsport) RARB. This qould be directly from them. The whiteline roll bar from anywhere, demontweeks, ktec, loads of places mate.

A rear strut brace will be pointless as will a front strut brace to be honest.

The only thing worth doing is fitting the pure motorsport solid top mount kit as well as their specifically designed strut brace kit that works specifically with their solid mounts. This is because it ties to the top mounts and not the strut towers (like all the other braces) it actually works.

I am pretty sure you can only use their top mounts as they have a fitting that connects to the brace I think.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
PMS all the way. I have the 22mm RARB and it's a serious bit of kit. I only have this as it was being sold second but un-used at a lesser price of the Whiteline new at the time I was going to purchase one. But fitting it I would say it is worth the extra money.

I also have their solid top mounts. And as Bear Head said if you want to run their strut brace now or in the future you have to use their top mounts, providing you drill the strut tops on a certain way!

Hi, if your building the car to the 182 750mc championship spec, the you will have to use KTECs own top mounts, KTEC do a specially designed front strut brace that bolts to these top mounts (like the PMS one). The PMS one wont wont fit on these.

If you do use a front OMP style strut brace the make sure its bolted to the strut tower's with large washers and HT bolts (M8) to stop any form of movement. I believe the fronts on those Spax's are in the region of 800lbs for reference.

Dont bother with a rear strut brace due to the nature of the rear beam set up.

I have run the whiteline and 19mm RARB for 2 seasons, personally depends how you like your car set up. With the rose jointed rear beam and upper rear top mount bushes (black series) I found the rear to be pretty stiff. Remember that the 182 champion spec is almost production spec where no lightweight panels area allowed so the car will be much heavier than the average racer on here.

Are you going to be racing in the series or just building a car to that spec for better resale value?

Clio 172
Hi
It is having Ktec Clio 2 RS race coil over kit with Ktec solid top mounts.

I won't be racing no, as I work offshore. It's mainly for just a starting point after selling my E46 330ci track car.

It will eventually have (hopefully) polycarbonate Windows and further lightning.

I will be at Snetterton on the 22nd March testing for the first time if anybody else is going.