ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are De-cat’s illegal

Are de-cats illegal? If you declare you have a modded exhaust to your insurance would that cover a de-cat? If for example you ran someone over and your car was inspected by the police would you get into serious bother for having a de-cat?

I know what the answer is going to be but just want to double check before I fit it.

I f your cars over a certain age it is compulsary to have a cat im just waiting on my system comin and its decat but will have to fit cat bk on for MOTs thats the government for you doin everything possible to slow us youngsters down :devilish:

Quote: Originally posted by 3D CLIO on 06 February 2004

I f your cars over a certain age it is compulsary to have a cat im just waiting on my system comin and its decat but will have to fit cat bk on for MOTs thats the government for you doin everything possible to slow us youngsters down :devilish:
WRONG! It is not compulsary to have a CAT, the law does not state every single car after 93 must have a CAT fitted at all times, manufcaturers must fit the cars with a CAT but if the car passes its emmissions tests without a CAT no matter what age that its fine. I know many a people with N-reg and newer cars whove got decats and have passed there MOT because the cars produced less emissions then the test dictates.

If you dont tell your insurance company its illegal as your insurance is void

If your emmisions are too high without it its illegal and they check cars in laybys up here sometimes.

If the noise of the exaust becomes too loud thats iilegal too.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 06 February 2004

I would say decats arent illegal if the car passes the emission tests.
Correct...

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 06 February 2004

007 do you know what they could do to you if they did a road side test and you failed?
You must not past go and you must forfeit your get out of jail free card.

Youll be required to remot the car and produce the new document in 14 days, I assume. Can you honestly see a copper climbing under your car to check its got a CAT? You cant even get under my car unless you spend 5 minutes jacking it up on the Renault jack then putting a hydraulic jack under to get it up enough. Theyll stick a pipe up your zorst to check emissions.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 06 February 2004

007 do you know what they could do to you if they did a road side test and you failed?
They give you a producer and you have a certain period of time to rectify the problem...

Erm.

Too Loud - no one can test it.. its like, very very hard to test.

Emissions, ok.. can fail an MOT on it.

Not Illegal..If you dont tell your insurance, it might be, but depending on the policy it might not be! It all depends on the company I guess.

Quote: Originally posted by ValveroDeath on 06 February 2004

Yeah but every car after that needs a cat.....
Not if with a de-cat, it still meets emission rules..

Some cars do pass MOTs with a De-Cat.

Quote: Originally posted by ValveroDeath on 06 February 2004
Yeah but every car after that needs a cat.....

Does anyone read what I post or does the fact Im not admin mean no-one listens???

READ WHAT I POSTED, cars DO NOT need cats no matter how old they are, if they pass the emissions test without one, it DOES NOT need a cat.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Well My 93 16v went through 2 mots without one ;) so ur wrong hehe.

my 94 EVO will go through too without one.

Seriously though, my mate is an mot tester and he said that some pass without them. so kick out more emissions with a cat because if the cars never booted the cat gets built up with sh*t.

What if after the emmisions test your car starts to run sh1t and thus wouldnt pass the test but was good at the time ?? Is this illegal because you should be running with a cat ??

clio williams, Ph1 172

You lot worry too much! If you have a decat and it fails the emissions just fit the cat and get it tested. no big deal hehe

Im not worried just wondering how they could possibly do you ?? I dont think they can ?? If youve declared a performnace exhaust and they dont ask " does this include the CAT " how can they say youre not covered ?? And no copper is going to get his nice uniform dirty checking under your car just in case you have baked bean tin instead of a CAtT ??

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 06 February 2004

Erm.

Too Loud - no one can test it.. its like, very very hard to test.

Emissions, ok.. can fail an MOT on it.

Not Illegal..If you dont tell your insurance, it might be, but depending on the policy it might not be! It all depends on the company I guess.

I know a lad that was done for breach of the peace for his exaust being too loud - its has and can happen.

Roadside tests on emmisions are being done to cars this week in Aberdeen - they also test diesel cars for red diesel.

Your insurance is void if you dont tell them about a mod like a de-cat - whether you insurance care or not is a lottery but if they can get out of a payment for a crash they will.

I usually run a de-cat pipe as the cat is quite restrictive (more so than an original back box) and because if a catalyst fails its expensive to replace.

I just have it fitted again at MoT time and have never had any problems - touch wood! ;) While people are right to say that you could have your emmissions tested, its rare and seldom done on a random basis: i.e. if your car is smokey or looks dodgy, then youll get roadside tested. This isnt much of an issue for a car like my otherwise standard and mint car.

As long as ur car passes an emissions test without 1 ur car is legal

If u got an on the spot test from the police u would get 14 days to rectify the problem just like an older car would if it was pumping out blue smoke

neil

I wouldnt have though a de-cat would give much more than 1-3bhp at peak on a 2.0, but might allow the power to peak a little earlier?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if a car passes the emissions tests on a mot then it will pass the mot wether the cat is there or not.however with the cat removed on a car that should have one im not sure how you stand in legal terms with the police in the case of an vehicle inspection due to it was a law that states the vehicle should be produced with a cat fitted.i would have thought decat pipes come with a disclaimer from the manufacturer stating that they are illegal for public road use.

^^IF IT PASSES EMISIONS TEST WITHOUT A CAT THE POLICE CANT DO SH1T^

sorry for shouting but do you guys not read others posts?As long as it can pass mot without the cat it dosent matter a flying fluck if it came with a cat or not.If the police check your emissions and there fine but they look under the car and you dont have a cat what are they going to say?

Come on lads dont be stupid!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

well the law told manufactures to fit cats after a certain date so surely there is the possibility that the police could make a case against you if they really wanted to even if it passed emission tests at the mot.

oh and why do decats come with disclaimers if there legal?

Im guessing, because theres a high chance itll make the car fail emission regulations.

In the odd case, it doesnt make a difference..

They are probably just covering themselves.

the laws have changed , it used to be that if it had a cat from factory it had to have 1

now as long as it passes the emission test on a mot it dosent have to have 1 fitted

neil

I would say that as it doesnt get through an MOT its is surely illegal??

Youll be fine as long as you dont get stopped by a random roadside emissions test. Surely - as the cats on there to make sure it complys with regs - if its not on there its gonna fail?

Quote: Originally posted by 16vneil on 07 February 2004

the laws have changed , it used to be that if it had a cat from factory it had to have 1

now as long as it passes the emission test on a mot it dosent have to have 1 fitted

neil
^^^Thank you^^^

Found this http://www.renaultsportsclub.co.uk/forum_3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9687http://www.renaultsportsclub.co.uk/forum_3403/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9687

It says:

"The newer Renaults with twin lambdas are not suitable for de-catting, these setups are there to comply with European regulations, there is a lambda before and after the cat. Basically if you remove the cat then the rear lambda gets a reading that its not to happy with thus the car tries to compensate for this result, which leads to crap running except on open loop mode."

Is that true?

Neil, no its not true, as has been started before you dont get crap running or anything, you simply unplug the second Lambda and it runs fine.