ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my Pads or Disk on their way out

The first couple of times i use my brakes when its been left for a while the back brakes seem to grind a bit but then goes after a while. Is it just where they stickin or or they goin?

They are rusting fast in this cold weather. New discs dont rust as quick, due to the surface being slightly resistant to oxidation. The older they get IMO the faster they rust up in this kind of weather. Dont think its means they are worn though.

Easy to check if your discs are worn, just feel for a lip when you work from the outside of the disc to the inner. If its level then youre in the clear.

Ditto, have been having concerns about mine for ages now on and off, sometimes tehy feel like i have no brakes and others they are fine, i hav a lip around the edge of the discs, and the disc is quite grooved, obvously where grit and similar has got onto the pads. Am gonna take the wheels off and have a butchers at the pads in a few mins, how much of the pad, ideally should i have left, and if i need new pads what are the best to get for a mk1 1.2?

ok took my wheels off, but couldnt get the pads out for lack of an allen key:oops:, but from what i can see of the outside pad i have about 4mm of pad left, there is definatly a ridge around the disc, about 1/2mm from the outside of the disc on the outside, and about 5/6mm from the outside of the disc on the inside. Sound like a need new discs?

It will still slow you down as the other 3 wheels are braking, but there is only about 85-90% total braking power being used, so if you have to suddenly stop then it is gonna take longer, i would gte it fixed.
Gavquiet - as its only done 8000 miles i presume its still under warrenty?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by lunner on 05 February 2004

ok took my wheels off, but couldnt get the pads out for lack of an allen key:oops:, but from what i can see of the outside pad i have about 4mm of pad left, there is definatly a ridge around the disc, about 1/2mm from the outside of the disc on the outside, and about 5/6mm from the outside of the disc on the inside. Sound like a need new discs?
allen key? dont undo that because your caliper will fall apart.undo the 13m bolts instead.

Where are the 13mm bolts? I just felt the two allen bolts behind the caliper, takes the top bit of the caliper off?

I dunno i was just looking at it, neva seen one before, maybe time to invest in a haynes manual