ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my topmounts broke?

Range Rover Sport
Will let the pictures explain.

2i06a08.jpg

15oxrbn.jpg

I'm guessing that's not normal as the passenger side one seems flush against the turret.

Range Rover Sport
Yes I did read that thread, no this is when the wheels are straight, just concerned as surely that means there is 10mm shortfall somewhere in the suspension?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They just look like they arent done up TBH

There is a gap but it shouldnt be that much IME.

Do they make any noises when you turn the steering?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes I did read that thread, no this is when the wheels are straight, just concerned as surely that means there is 10mm shortfall somewhere in the suspension?

Those mounts are only there so when you go over a humpback bridge the shocks dont drop out, in theory you could remove them and your car would still drive exactly the same under normal circumstances (but DONT!)

Range Rover Sport
They just look like they arent done up TBH

There is a gap but it shouldnt be that much IME.

Do they make any noises when you turn the steering?

They've always made a 'knocking' noise from day one of me owning it. I just thought it was down to a) being pretty low b) having cheap coilovers fitted. Only noticed it today, wasn't like that last week.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They've always made a 'knocking' noise from day one of me owning it. I just thought it was down to a) being pretty low b) having cheap coilovers fitted. Only noticed it today, wasn't like that last week.

Well they are either loose (looks probable by the lack of thread showing out the top of them but TBH its been ages since Ive had standard mounts on any of our clios!) or the mount under the turret is FUBAR'ed and allowing the shock rod to come up too high.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In fact, if you look in that thread George182 linked to from here, you can see how much thread is poking through the top of the nut in the mount, so I am 99% sure yours are just very loose!

Range Rover Sport
Well they are either loose (looks probable by the lack of thread showing out the top of them but TBH its been ages since Ive had standard mounts on any of our clios!) or the mount under the turret is FUBAR'ed and allowing the shock rod to come up too high.

Thank you Chip, is there a way of narrowing it down without taking the suspension/coilover off?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Both the Alan key part and 'nut' extremely tight?

You need a swan neck spanner (24mm IIRC) and an allen key so you can spin the top mount without it spinning the shock rod.

Either that or just get a nut gun on it but dont let it spin and spin as it can damage the seals in the shocks.

Range Rover Sport
You need a swan neck spanner (24mm IIRC) and an allen key so you can spin the top mount without it spinning the shock rod.

Either that or just get a nut gun on it but dont let it spin and spin as it can damage the seals in the shocks.

21mm, struggling to get the spanner as don't have any 'sean' neck version however when the spanner is sitting on the nut they are extremely tight.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks that way, although I still dont see how they are right with so little thread sticking out the top, what shocks are they?

Range Rover Sport
Cheap coilovers, I believe K-tec supplied a fair few years ago. (Raceland springs to mind *pun intended)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well if the mount now sits higher, and the thread has always been the same above it, then something on the mount under the strut top must be knackered