ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my tyres legal?

2012 Clio 200
Can anyone tell me if these tyres are legal?

2 are quite bald on the inside edge (see photo), but are fine everywhere else.

One if the others has a bit of a chunk out if it. (See other photo)

shoild I get new tyres?

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 698
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 991
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 759

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I'm not 100% sure about the thread wear, however the tyre with a split in the wall definately wouldn't pass an MOT.

Personally I wouldn't use them.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
The one with the chunk missing is illegal.

The one with worn on insides, you might get away with it. It would really depends on the police officer on the day who stopped you. VOSA would no doubts say that is illegal though.

I would get new ones anyway, judging by that tread pattern they are ling longs or something else awful.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If that split is less than an inch it's legal. And just measure the thread dept, over 1.3mm is legal.

2012 Clio 200
The one with the chunk missing is illegal.

The one with worn on insides, you might get away with it. It would really depends on the police officer on the day who stopped you. VOSA would no doubts say that is illegal though.

I would get new ones anyway, judging by that tread pattern they are ling longs or something else awful.

I'm going to order some new ones today. The ones with the wear are federal tyres, the others are yoko.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
They looks ok tbh, if the pattern on the inside/outside is less than 1.6mm they will be illegal, but if not your fine!

I got stopped one night for my small plate and they checked my tyres too, the outer edges bald and they gave me a ticket and made me get them changed, i was tought in my driving lessons that it just had to be 1.6mm accoss 3/4 of the tyre but thats not the case!

If the one part of the tread pattern is bald then the tyre will not disperse(sp) water correctly and could cause aquaplanning apparently, which makes them illegal.

Changes to often
Change them don't leave them, I did that and mine ended up looking like this lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360602997386.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360602997386.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 326
all of those tyres are perfectly legal and fine , the first 2 have rim protector damage , 3rd is fine just the edge is feathered .

rim protector edges are just stuck down again by dealers all the time and happily pass and mot .....

the pic in the post above has been rubbing on something , yours will NOT fail in that way .

They looks ok tbh, if the pattern on the inside/outside is less than 1.6mm they will be illegal, but if not your fine!

I got stopped one night for my small plate and they checked my tyres too, the outer edges bald and they gave me a ticket and made me get them changed, i was tought in my driving lessons that it just had to be 1.6mm accoss 3/4 of the tyre but thats not the case!

If the one part of the tread pattern is bald then the tyre will not disperse(sp) water correctly and could cause aquaplanning apparently, which makes them illegal.

you were issued an incorrect ticket or what you describe is not what they saw

http://www.etyres.co.uk/images/tyre-law-depth1.gif
Tyres MUST be correctly inflated to the vehicle manufacturer’s specification for the load being carried. Always refer to the vehicle’s handbook or data. Tyres should also be free from certain cuts and other defects. Cars, light vans and light trailers MUST have a tread depth of at least 1.6 mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and around the entire circumference. Motorcycles, large vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles MUST have a tread depth of at least 1 mm across three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and in a continuous band around the entire circumference. Mopeds should have visible tread. Be aware that some vehicle defects can attract penalty points.
Law CUR reg 27

thats the law in the pic above feathered edges with no pattern on is fine

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
It may be fine but coppers can still get arsey especially. Had it myself from tyres where they have been driven on hard.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I always understood it to be needing 1.6mm across 75% of the width of the tyre and visible pattern only on the remaining 25%.

Are you really saying that the outer edges (12.5% on each side) can be warn completely smooth and they'd still be legal.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Measurements are across the centre three quarters. As long as that cut isn't down to the cords and you can't feel the cords through the remaining rubber with say a screwdriver, its good to go.

It's what keeps you in contact with the road, do you really need to ask? Any doubt get it changed.

the sidewalls don't , and have you any idea what a rim protector is on a tyre and what is for ?

they have nothing to do with structure , they stop you curbing rims and its fine to stick bits down again .

the outer edges on our s4 are worn .... they are fine across the rest of the tyre and passed the mot fine , as the tester said they are legal , i had 2 new rears fitted and the fitters said fronts needed changing ..... again , no they didn't !!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Harvsurry, i cbf quoting all that haha.

The centre of my tyres were fine, legal i thought! But the outer edges, the outside strip of the tread pattern was smooth, and they gave me a ticket to get them changed and checked then take the ticket back to the police station, so when i got the tyres done i went to the police station (took my 'bald' tyres too) and handed in the ticket and asked for some advice.

The police man came out to the car and had a look at the old tyres, i asked him what he thought and he said that 1 of the tyres was illegal and the other was on its way there!

After being told by 2 police men at different times then i believe that they were illegal.

I asked my cousin and my mate who are both mot testers and they said that they would of passed a MOT.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
the sidewalls don't , and have you any idea what a rim protector is on a tyre and what is for ?

they have nothing to do with structure , they stop you curbing rims and its fine to stick bits down again .

the outer edges on our s4 are worn .... they are fine across the rest of the tyre and passed the mot fine , as the tester said they are legal , i had 2 new rears fitted and the fitters said fronts needed changing ..... again , no they didn't !!

Rim protector? Mmmm no sorry I know nothing about cars, at the end of the day there is no canvas on show on the cut on the sidewall so based on that it would pass a mot so in theory is safe, but i doubt it it is above 1.6mm over the centre 2/3 of the tyre so would fail on that.

change the tyre.

Changes to often
all of those tyres are perfectly legal and fine , the first 2 have rim protector damage , 3rd is fine just the edge is feathered .

rim protector edges are just stuck down again by dealers all the time and happily pass and mot .....

the pic in the post above has been rubbing on something , yours will NOT fail in that way .

I can say 100% the tyre was no rubbing this happens due to the tyres been old, they were Michelin pilot sports, and still fully inflated amazingly. It was on half the tyre not all the way arround.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360609433620.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360609433620.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360609455483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360609455483.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 171
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360609483691.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360609483691.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 121

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Good old Michelins, they all crack really bad. Failed loads of them for split walls, cord exposed etc.

Rim protector? Mmmm no sorry I know nothing about cars, at the end of the day there is no canvas on show on the cut on the sidewall so based on that it would pass a mot so in theory is safe, but i doubt it it is above 1.6mm over the centre 2/3 of the tyre so would fail on that.

change the tyre.
the thick strip of rubber shown in the picture is a rim protector , its thick rubber and designed to stop your rim hitting a curb before the tyre when parking
they often get cut and are safe to stick down and do not need a new tyre

if the very edge is smooth but the rest of the tyre fine then again legal and in my opinion fine

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=149

2012 Clio 200
Just ordered a set of toyo t1r. Got them for £216 for all 4 which I thougt was pretty good.
If anyone wants to buy any of my old tyres give me an offer ;).