ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are Speedline 2118s Ok?

Are these decent wheels for track days? I'm looking at some to whack some track day tyres on.

I know they are 15" so tyres are a little cheaper but is there any other benefit or drawbacks?

Cheers

DB.

BMW 440i
Doubt there the lightest wheels, but would be fine for track. Some people take these things too seriously.

Lovely wheels too!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
2118s will be lighter than standard which is better as its rolling weight (so is better than just static weight like removing a seat say).

At 15" they will be cheaper for tyres and also suit the Clio as well. I dont know what are lightest wheels, but 2118s are a good choice. :)

Ph2 172 Track Toy
I wouldn't be too sure that they're lighter than standard. They're heavier in 15 than turinis in 16 I think.

Audi A5
Their the strongest wheel on the clio scence but they weight a tone! They are a very track oriented but do you want to pay £500 for a set of track wheels? I'd rather get some oz f1's and put the £300 your save to other stuff.

Italian 3.2 V6
Oz F1's would be a better choice for track, alot cheaper and a fair bit lighter!

I just don't like the look of OZ F1s otherwise I would. I'd rather pay the extra 200 quid and get wheels that I think look very nice.

But I understand now they are not the best track wheel option.

What are Pro Race 1.2's like for track? They are much more expensive though aren't they..

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
1.2's are a very good wheel, extremely light for unsprung weight.
IMO they are priced well and a good choice if you really are conscious about weight saving in the right areas.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its for track wheels, does it really matter much what they look like within reason?

Personally I would sooner have the ozf1 and save pounds (in both senses of the word)

We use mainly prorace 1.2 and OZf1 due to weight

I have 2118's - VERY strong (handy if you cut the corners a bit deep) but heavy too

I like the OZ ultralegerras or superlegerras - they seem very light and a nice looking wheel for the Clio
Might swap next year

If its for track wheels, does it really matter much what they look like within reason?

I know what your mean, but I like the look of my car, I look back at it as I walk out of the drive or on the street. I wouldn't feel the same about it if it had F1s on it. I'm sure they are a good wheel but I just dislike the look of them.

Pro race 1.2 look pretty decent too though. I hear that these are really light. But does that make them prone to cracking if you hit a curb hard??

Also I thought 2118s were priced well for a brand new set.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why would it be on its track wheels when sat on your drive for you to look back at though?
My mrs has some nicely refurbed turinis that look pretty for her daily for the reason you mention, but when she is on track its normally on snotty old pro race or f1s, who cars so long as it goes well and doesnt actually look hideous?

Pro race are a good blend of weight and strength IME

Well I'd have them on to drive to and from track too. I don't know I just can't agree with F1s lol. Maybe if they were black and perfect condition.

I guess I just wanted to treat myself to some nice spanking new wheels and slap some track tyres on them for some good usage.

Where's best to buy Pro Race 1.2s do you know? Looking at a few sites. Not sure where would be most recommended.

looks like around 450 delivered. http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/?cmd...model=533&size=3&brandValue=52&wheelModel=671

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
We have a set of OZ F1s and a set of speedline 2118s.... both decent wheels, can't complain. I think the 2118s are more solid, but that's because we have cup racer spec versions. The weight of the 15 inch wheel and tyre is not much different to the 16 equivelants, but the important thing is that the tyres for them are far far cheaper and more suited for track use. 195/50 R15 is a very common size and you'll easily get a new set of good rubber for 400 quid.

Also, if you get a cheap set and want to refurb them, there's plenty of "alloy wheel refurbishment" companies that will dip and paint your wheels for 20 to 30 quid a corner. Definitely worth it if you don't already have sandpaper and paint etc, 'cause it all soon adds up.

RS172 Flamer
Pro race 1.2 look pretty decent too though. I hear that these are really light. But does that make them prone to cracking if you hit a curb hard??

I have known two of my friends to have the 15" Pro Race 1.2s and they have slightly cracked. I think the 16" 1.2s are stronger but in the interest of cheaper tyres I would stick to 15" as mentioned.

I would agree that the Oz F1s are not appealling to look at but they are a middle point for Pro Race and 2118 alloys with regards to weight :)

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
How do you know which are Palmer? I just got a set that are steel bit have the recessed writing on the face.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i use oz superleggera, pretty light, lightest wheel i've seen in terms of actually weighing a bare rim, they came in at 5.2kg a corner with spigot and centre cap. belive some of the jap stuff is lighter, enkei and rota's are light but never owned any so no idea!

pro race 1.2's were 6.4kg

williams speedlines are also fairly light, 7.1kg

these are all in 15" flavour by the way

i intend to weight my 16" turinis and i have some F1's i can weigh as well. once i get the 2118's i'll weigh them too, could compile a little list if needed :)

I also have OZ superleggeras and they are bloody light,iirc 1 bare 182 wheel weighed the same as 2 bare superleggeras.

I can vaguely remember that a superleggera was 12.2kg with tyre(Hankook v12 evo) and a 182 wheel was 17.6kg with the same tyre, Which i think lead to a 5.4kg per wheel and tyre saved and a 21.6kg rotational mass saving.

Ph1 T
F1's all the way probably cheapest out of lot and don't look bad at all IMO,,

If there track wheels you won't be getting out looking at them that much as you'll be out on track

Save the £300 difference and get some quality rubber

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I also have OZ superleggeras and they are bloody light,iirc 1 bare 182 wheel weighed the same as 2 bare superleggeras.

I can vaguely remember that a superleggera was 12.2kg with tyre(Hankook v12 evo) and a 182 wheel was 17.6kg with the same tyre, Which i think lead to a 5.4kg per wheel and tyre saved and a 21.6kg rotational mass saving.

ai they are darn light, i have a couple of sets and i weighed about 4 of them across both sets of 5 and they were all pretty much 5.1-5.3kg, book weight is 4.9 i think so slightly more but still v. light :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have you cracked one before like? Never had no problems so far with any of mine

Relatively easy to bend them on a pothole, but cracking them is very uncommon.

They're more than strong enough to be suitable for trackdays IMHO