ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Assetto Corsa Competizione

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
With my new-found liking for racing sims recently, I decided to opt for Assetto Corsa Competizione on the PC. As you'd expect, its from the same team that brought out Assetto Corsa, but focuses solely on the Blancpain GT series.

That in itself is a double-edged sword. It dramatically reduces the amount of choice in terms of vehicles you get to drive - along with the number of circuits. However, that smaller scope brings with it a significant level of detail to the cars themselves, their handling characteristics and backing audio.

I jump straight into some practice laps at Laguna Seca, knowing the circuit quite well and picked the compulsory Porsche GT3. Go balls out and selected Expert Mode and why the hell not - made the practice late evening.

Seconds later, I'm sat in the Porsche, headlights reflecting brightly back from the facing pit wall. Press the accelerator and nothing. Engine start? I can see a 'Start' button on the left-side of the steering wheel itself but have no idea which key is needed to activate it. I press random buttons on the G920 wheel and notice traction control settings being changed and stop immediately. Quit back to the Option Menu and scroll through the inputs - apparently 'S' is the button needed for starter. Ok - back I go.

Holding down S sees the driver's thumb press the button whilst a spinning starter motor being heard. Still no engine start. Hmmm - Alt&Tab to Google and a quick search later revealed that I needed to press Shift&I in order to switch on the ignition. Back I go again and try it - this time the driver's right hand flicks a centre console switch and I follow that up with the S key. Sure enough, the car fires up and having engaged 1st, I crawl down the pit lane and out onto the track.

With the headphones at a decent volume, this sounds immense. Down to the first left-hander and working down the gears, it's popping and banging like the best McDonalds Focus ST. The brakes are way too cold and I almost head straight into the litter, managing to have the right-hand wheels rumble on the red and white strip at that side of the track. Nail 2nd, then into 3rd before easing through the apex onto next right hander. Turn 4 comes up as does 4th and 5th shortly afterwards, before dropping back to 3rd for the left hand rise through turn 5.

I find that Expert Mode is that perfect challenge. It is difficult and laced with minutiae like the starting sequence - but in the same sense it is bloody rewarding. Push too hard and you lose the car - simple. Try to find those nine-tenths and the speed and momentum you can carry though the corners is impressive. It's not forgiving, but it's far from pummeling you into submission in every corner.

Hats off to the developers and the studio for taking the brave decision making something so focused. It could have backfired tremendously, but it works and works very well indeed. It has even got me considering venturing out into online multiplayer races as this is the kind of sim racing that I think (and hope) will be devoid of knobheads out on track. I've added a couple of quick screenshots from the inky blackness of nighttime Laguna Seca - nice little touch how the backbox is glowing orange too.

1583136840364.png

1583136858882.png

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
I just think its too focused. And while anyone interested in cars or racing would 'get it' as a game - it just doesn't have the garage and car ownership appeal of the likes of Forza and many others.
Isnt it meant to rival iracing as opposed to forza?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Isnt it meant to rival iracing as opposed to forza?
It is - but from a strictly commercial perspective, that clearly doesn't work as well as an open ended/car collecting driving game. Fairplay to them to push the hardcore sim route as personally, I find it much more rewarding to play. It would just never sell as well as the likes of Forza and others.

I'd just love the option of importing the original Assetto Corsa cars into the Unreal Engine of this game - strictly speaking, the Mazda 787B in particular. Then again, that's paradoxical as I'm asking for something to be added to ACC that clearly shouldn't be there to begin with. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like ACC's roadmap of releases is a good one - certainly for this year and the next. I didn't realise that the Intercontinental Pack that's out now had only been released for the PC.

Apparently the British GT Pack is going to include the circuits of Oulton Park, Donington and Snetterton.

1585643075528.png

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Paid DLC I assume? c***s tbh.

I’m looking forward to PC3, never really likes AC and I’m struggling to get into ACC, I don’t have enough patience in honesty :p

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've seen a few videos and seen your Darren, it does look and sounds very impressive like, i heard it's going to come to console in the near future

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Definitely in devolpment for console. Because so many have set ups and also the cosoles are powerful, we c an get the graphics and FPS required to replciate it!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Paid DLC I assume? c***s tbh.

I’m looking forward to PC3, never really likes AC and I’m struggling to get into ACC, I don’t have enough patience in honesty :p
The thing is with DLC - I like the concept. You get to play the core game and enjoy it, but if you want to expand on it - buy the optional DLC.

The beauty of this is that invariably you end up with all the DLC being bundled into a Game Of The Year Edition or similar at some point. So with the likes of DIRT Rally 2 on Steam at the minute. £9.99 for the core game, or £22.49 for the GOTY Edition. If you normally buy all of the DLC individually, that comes to £92 in its own right.

I guess they are targeting the midnight-shop-stalkers who MUST simply have the newest and latest feature that was released a minute ago. For the rest of us, wait a little while and get the whole lot cheaper than what the core game was released at initially.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I thought I'd give this a go so bought a copy yesterday. I quite like it and hopefully will be able to put a few hours into it soon. However, I'm on gamepad (on PC) and it definitely would benefit from a decent wheel and pedal setup.

I installed the game and jumped straight into a simple practice race with dumbed down opposition. I dumbed them down a little too far in hindsight.

R26.R & 200T
Can’t wait to get this game. Me and my mate are currently buying everything for a sim but unfortunately I won’t be able to put mine all together until I’ve moved into my new house.
Personally I love the gt3 cars, I know it’s not to everyone’s taste but it’s one of, if not the best series in the world.

Iracing is supposed to be good but only thing that puts me off is it’s a subscription.

The thing is with DLC - I like the concept. You get to play the core game and enjoy it, but if you want to expand on it - buy the optional DLC.

The beauty of this is that invariably you end up with all the DLC being bundled into a Game Of The Year Edition or similar at some point. So with the likes of DIRT Rally 2 on Steam at the minute. £9.99 for the core game, or £22.49 for the GOTY Edition. If you normally buy all of the DLC individually, that comes to £92 in its own right.

I guess they are targeting the midnight-shop-stalkers who MUST simply have the newest and latest feature that was released a minute ago. For the rest of us, wait a little while and get the whole lot cheaper than what the core game was released at initially.

What winds me up with DLC is when it feels like it was going to be in the game originally but they pulled it out to sell later for more money. Like DLC that's announced on release day or sometimes before.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
How are you getting on with it Andy? @SharkyUK
I'm really enjoying it mate despite still playing it on game pad (which is far from ideal). There's a guy selling a full motion sim rig about 8 miles away from me - DIY kit, very quiet, 100mm of travel, 3 DOF, Arduino powered... but I can't get over there to see it due to the lockdown. He built it a couple of months ago and can't use it as he has some sensitivity to the electrics and coil whine that triggers his migraines!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really enjoying it mate despite still playing it on game pad (which is far from ideal). There's a guy selling a full motion sim rig about 8 miles away from me - DIY kit, very quiet, 100mm of travel, 3 DOF, Arduino powered... but I can't get over there to see it due to the lockdown. He built it a couple of months ago and can't use it as he has some sensitivity to the electrics and coil whine that triggers his migraines!
Sounds like his wife worked out how much it cost and now he has to sell it

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing like jumping in at the deep end is there 😂
I wasn't planning on going full-throttle (pun intended) on a sim-rig straightaway (pun intended) but it wouldn't hurt to have a look, would it? If it's still for sale after lockdown then I'll check it out. I've asked for some pics and vids. :ROFLMAO: I might chicken out though anyway as I've got a lot of bills, tax and insurance to pay this month and next. I might have to call on the old man-maths! :p

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bought the GT4 DLC last night but have only managed to have a quick practice this morning so far.

Being the GT4 class, the whole sense of speed and acceleration has shifted down slightly and is far less frantic. Picked the Alpine of course and headed of around the full Brands Circuit. Looking forward to some proper racing in this class.

1594883398922.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The GT4 PACK DLC includes:

• Alpine A110 GT4 (7 new liveries)
  • Aston Martin Vantage GT4 (7 new liveries)
  • Audi R8 LMS GT4 (4 new liveries)
  • BMW M4 GT4 (8 new liveries)
  • Chevrolet Camaro GT4R (2 new liveries)
  • Ginetta G55 GT4 (1 new liveries)
  • KTM X-Bow GT4 (3 new liveries)
  • Maserati MC GT4 (1 new liveries)
  • Mclaren 570S GT4 (5 new liveries)
  • Mercedes AMG GT4 (10 new liveries)
  • Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport (4 new liveries)
The GT4 vehicle category will be fully integrated into Assetto Corsa Competizione for the DLC owners:

• Championship Mode: GT4 Season available
  • Multiplayer: the relative game update allows players to assign their vehicle to default category slots. So it will be possible to have a preferred vehicle for GT3 only races, one for the mixed class racing, one for GT4 racing, one for Cup and one for SuperTrofeo. This allows everyone to have their preferred racing car and livery selected prior to Quick Join matchmaking and entering Competition Servers.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I picked up ACC a couple of weeks ago and must say it's very enjoyable, bit different to F1 2020 but I do feel immersed in it all.
Need to put some serious time aside to get into the career and get the difficulty settings a bit more realistic.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I picked up ACC a couple of weeks ago and must say it's very enjoyable, bit different to F1 2020 but I do feel immersed in it all.
Need to put some serious time aside to get into the career and get the difficulty settings a bit more realistic.
I'll say again with ACC - the game itself is very impressive, but the audio I just don't know how they have got it so good. Watched a bit of the replay of that Alpine earlier and the tonal changes in the engine and small backfires and the over-run - just so realistic and not out of place.

I think the GT4 DLC makes ACC more approachable for people - rather than the hyper-real speed session that the more powerful cars have. I like how you can have the GT3 and GT4 cars on the track at the same time as well - rolling traffic!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I'm enjoying this on PS4, quite difficult at first coming from GT Sport. I enjoy learning to drive the particular cars, like the 2018 Porsche GT3 R I was finding I was trail braking and then spinning out (noob). Solved that now and I think I'm quite fast in it, however I'm using the G29 and I'm noticing a few issues with the game, glitches with force feedback, button assignments working in one race and then not working the next i.e. Pit limiter, that's a pain half way through a 40 min race and then getting disqualified for speeding in the pitlane. I just want the god damn DLC, I want to lap Laguna Seca.

RS Clio 182
Has the PS4 version recieved any patches since release? How is it playing performance wise? I think i'll pick this up later in the year,and try and get the DLC packs with it..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has the PS4 version recieved any patches since release? How is it playing performance wise? I think i'll pick this up later in the year,and try and get the DLC packs with it..
I'm not too sure on the consoles. For PC, it's v1.5 with some pretty impressive updates just to the physics alone...

PHYSICS:

• Fixed tyre pressure reset on used tyres when pitting without tyre change.
  • Motec control channels frequency upped to 60Hz.
  • Fixed Motec bad offset when comparing laptimes
  • Kerb, slip, G-force and ABS vibrations added to physics API.
  • EBB (active electronic brake bias) feature activated and implemented.
  • Torque vectoring differential activated and implemented.
  • Pirelli DH and DW tyre model implementation, all dimensions required and used for GT4 European Series cars.
  • Updated and improved implementation of caster physics (also affects visual appearance).
  • Porsche 991II GT3 Cup tyre model update and fine-tuning.
  • Porsche 991II GT3 Cup update on spring rates and bumpstops as per endurance homologation

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Had another dabble on Laguna Seca on Friday night, trying to set some decent lap-times.

Would be good if we managed to get some laptimes posted and in what car (along with any tweaks/changes)

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Had another dabble on Laguna Seca on Friday night, trying to set some decent lap-times.

Would be good if we managed to get some laptimes posted and in what car (along with any tweaks/changes)
Be good to get some comparison.
Ive knocked up a Google spreadsheet for anyone to drop their times in.
Anyone can edit so add any columns necessary.
I'll try and post some times tonight

CS Assetto Corsa Lap Times