ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audible 'rotational' clunk from the rear under light braking

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Any thoughts in general about a noise I can hear on my car, guys?

Unless it's one of those weird travelling-noise issues, I am 99% convinced that the noise is coming from the rear of the car, when I'm driving it. Under gradual, slow braking - say coming up to a set of red lights, I can hear an audible clunk, clunk.....clunk...........clunk - the gaps getting longer as I'm slowing down, hence I was thinking it was rotational.

It doesn't do it every time, but I heard it approx two months or so ago. Since then, I've removed the failed, hanging heat-shield from above the backbox and had a new pair of rear discs (along with the bearings obviously) with a new set of pads. It's also had it's MOT a week or two back and passed that without issue - but still the noise is there. I heard it for the first time in over a week this morning - driving into work.

Any ideas what it could be? The other prime suspect was a damper - but the car handles fine and the noise only ever occurs under light braking. I'm sure I'd hear the crashiness of a failed damper more often. More than happy to proven wrong on that though!

Cheers,
D.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
What car?

It's best to have a look underneath and spin the wheel to find where its coming from. If it's a mk2 Clio make sure the slide pin for the pads to sit on is still there and the pads are in properly as a lot of people dont line up the little stud with the notches in the caliper piston

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Stone in the tyre tread

fractured brake disc (common!)
First day I got my Clio😂😂

FB_IMG_1576051905191.jpg