ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audio Gurus! Advice please...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Since i'm keeping the car now, i'd like to add a few bits that can easily be swapped over when i do change it. I'm not exactly clued up on ICE, i'm more of a mechanicals fella, so please don't go jargon mad. ;)

I currently have a completely standard setup.

Basically, i want to know how much the following would cost me, and what would you recommend?
  • A HU that i can use my iPod with.
  • A set of four decent components that i can ideally run off the HU?
  • A decent amp and small sub. As OE-looking as possible.
Thanks in advance,

Chris

I'm running a monoblock alpine v amp and a 10" sub. Does the job if you just want a bit more punch and doesnt take up much space in the boot. I'm still running the OE speakers and tbh when they're not having to deal with the bass they dont sound that bad although I'd go the route of components too.

clio 1.2
Alpine 9886-R headunit.

i have this headunit, its brilliant, ive had many ipod headunits pioneer etc but this is by far the best, also only paid £120 for it brand new off ebay from america and they over £220 here:)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mint.

So that's the HU sorted. Will it run the four components without an external amp?

Also, which small sub and amp would you go for? How much for the Alpine setup, Si?

clio 1.2
tbh mate, you dont need 4 components just spend the money on a quality set up front and trust me they will be loud enough, just keep the standard coaxials in the back for abit of rear fill

Mint.

So that's the HU sorted. Will it run the four components without an external amp?

Also, which small sub and amp would you go for? How much for the Alpine setup, Si?

Mine is about 3 years old now so cant remember offhand fella. I'll have a look and see if I can dig out the receipts tonight. TBH probably wont be too expensive as audio equipment seems to have come down alot in the last couple of years.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
SWD-2000 is neat

supra_trd_1090593006_img_0053.jpg

TBH chris i'd save your money on the speakers.

I'm still using the OE 182 ones and they sound great with the std HU.

Dont buy the HU from the us whatever you do, it might be cheaper but it wont be right.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Vibe CBR Active 10" chris.(sub)

Small but powerfull, built in amp and takes up hardly any space. as for comps, iv got some 13cm pioneer beasts in the front and some 6 x 9's in the back from theloudest.com.

Last edited:
  Ph1 172 + Combo van
best to probally get on to car audio direct or car audio security and look at subs and amps for your budget. how much are you looking to spend?

as for speakers. if you get components up front you only need coaxils in the rear so either get some better coaxils or just keep the renault ones.

it would be better to amplify your front speakers but its up to you with how much effort you want to go to.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
SWD-2000 is neat

Dont buy the HU from the us whatever you do, it might be cheaper but it wont be right.

You reckon? I'm not into really OTT bass anyway, i just want a bit more clarity. Oh and that sub/amp setup looks spot on! More info please?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Vibe CBR Active 10" chris.(sub)

Small but powerfull, built in amp and takes up hardly any space. as for comps, iv got some 13cm pioneer beasts in the front and some 6 x 9's in the back from theloudest.com.

Ahh cheers Luke. How much was the sub/amp combo?

SchwepTek™
SWD-2000 is neat

You reckon? I'm not into really OTT bass anyway, i just want a bit more clarity. Oh and that sub/amp setup looks spot on! More info please?

i like that sub!

Chris i'm gonna putting my HU back to standard soon. Fancy a JVC DVD headunit? ;)

SchwepTek™
Yum

Ipod connector?

Has an aux out but you can buy proper ipod control for £30 i think. Could even get an ipod video out cable and plug that in LOL so it displays whats on the screen.

Oh and i have just seen them go on ebay for £200 not £250.

SchwepTek™
Mines wired up to an amp and 10" sub. I accidentally put a hole through the sub so taped it up and it now sounds even better for some reason LOL!

dont need 2 sets of comps,you wont notice it,if you really want some rears a set of co-ax's will suffice,whats your budget?if your not bass mad then get an underseat sub,saves loads of boot space but adds the bass required that the comps etc cant produce

Ian

Focus TDCi
Is the 1-bit DAC any good on the Alpine HU? Thought that meant you've got a really low resolution, so sound conversion won't be as good as the 24-bit Alpine models? Ignore me if I'm talking utter tosh, but I'm looking into a similar setup too.

Alpine CDE-9880R £129.99
Alpine KCE-422i iPod Cable £14.99

jbl gt12's can be had from £20 each.
JBL GTO14001 £199.99
1200W RMS x 1 Channels at 4 Ohms
1500W RMS x 1 Channels at 2 Ohms
the gt12's can take an good amount of power.
the prices given are rough,if you look around you will find,
the jbl 1201 amp gives out about 1000 plus rms.
for £80 and upwards

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you don't want crazy bass just go for an active sub. I bought the Fli 8" active and it goes way louder than I ever listen to, maybe not as good quality when that loud as seperates, but it only cost £70 with a wiring kit.

Stock tweeters could be worse, and the wiring involved if you get components is a nightmare.

I'd just source some decent 13cm midbass speakers for the front door, put in some £50-60 3 way speakers in the back and you're done. It'll sound way better than standard. The biggest improvement comes from the HU, but obviously getting slightly better mid range in the front and giving the job of bass to a sub helps too.

to be honest, im compleatly overhauling my 182 with a compleate system, 2 subs, 1 sub amp, 1 component amp, 2 components speakers, 1 powercap, new wiring, Dynamat extreme, a new HU and *so far* 30 hours of work. it will go over 100 hours.
I reccomend www.mega-watt.co.uk, they are 5 mins from me in runcorn, just off sandy moore and them guys know their s**t.

before you do anything or spend a penny, go see them or ring them.

they are without question the experts and offer great prices.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
Actually yeah - quick google does say something similar. Doesn't say whether there's any space left though, but I would doubt that there would be enough for a sub to fit in. An amp maybe though¿?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I've decided on the Alpine 9886-R head unit, standard Cabasse speakers and that Alpine SWD 2000 that Tom posted. I chose that sub over a cheaper one, as i've decided to keep the OE speakers.

Any thoughts on that setup? Will i see any real benefit from changing the front speakers?

I'll be ordering it all tomorrow. Where's the best place to go to order online?

Thanks

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A straight swap with the OE ones then? No new wiring?

I won't need the crossovers will i? Since i'm not running those tweeters?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No you don't need to use crossovers.

You might need to solder a bit here and there, and you'll need to dismantle the plugs that come on the Clio speaker wires. Just try to leave as much wire as possible. I fucked mine up a few times and it started to get a bit tight (there wasn't much visible wire left in the fronts and could only just get the speaker out before you started pulling on the wire).

1.2 Dynamique billabong
i wired mine differently, i removed the OE speaker from the door, cut the plug n play connector off it and added some more length of cable to run the crossover which i hid behind the door card, i then fitted the tweeter in the door card and ran cable from the crossover to the tweeter and the new door speaker.
i left the standard tweeters in place / still working. its good to use the crossover as its splits the input into bass and treble and also amplifies the signal

11-4.jpg

8-6.jpg

6-10.jpg

Last edited: