ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audio Setup Advice

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Audio gurus,

I've had a little problem with my front left passenger door speaker, basically it's farting and crackling on songs with a bit of bass, even with the volume and base settings turned down low-ish.

The car came with two Fli 6x9s installed into the parcel shelf, but they aren't wired up. I have the OEM Head Unit installed, but the little key holes look a bit worn so I'm guessing an aftermarket HU has been installed previously. Also, there is no sound coming from the rear speakers.

So at a guess, the previous owner had an aftermarket Head Unit set up so that the 6x9s are providing the lower frequency sounds and the bass, and the front OEM components were providing all the mid-high frequency sounds.

So basically, I want to copycat this set up, to start off with. Eventually, I'd like to replace the 6x9s with a sub in the boot, and perhaps some better quality front components, and have them amped.

So to copycat the previous owners set up all I need to do is get a HU that will allow me to send the low freq. to the 6x9s and the high freq. to the front components, is this correct? I won't need any amps for the 6x9s?

And how is this Head Unit? It's a Pioneer jobbie... http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-deh-8300sd_p-26740.htm

Will this Head Unit suffice if I upgrade to a subwoofer, amps and new front components?

Cheers in advance for your help!

2003 1.2 billabong
the pioneers just have one crossover for all the speakers.

look at kenwood they have hu's what have sepearate filters for the backand the front pal :)

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
the pioneers just have one crossover for all the speakers.

look at kenwood they have hu's what have sepearate filters for the backand the front pal :)

Cheers, my knowledge on car audio stuff is limited. What's crossover and why do I need more than one? Sorry if this is a n00bish question, but I'm not clued up on this sort of stuff tbh.

2003 1.2 billabong
crossover - low pass filter/ high pass filter

with the pioneer you will be able to filter out the lows to the speakers but it will be all 4, so the 6x9's would be playing the same frequencies as the fronts. kenwood units tend to have a filter for front and rear speakers so you can set it for 6x9s

if you can wait a little for better sound, go for the pioneer and just filter the mininmum from the speakers untill you get a sub, get a sealed sub ( sealed will sound better quality than ported unless you want to go buildong sub boxes to spec ) then filter around 80 - 100hz, do the same om the sub ( filter anything above the figure you limited the speakers to play down to ) then just deal with rattles haha

2003 1.2 billabong
just seen the head unit you are looking at is the older model of mine, great audio quality hu and perfect to amps and subs ( has a 4volt pre out for the amps, the more volts the clearer and less line niose you will get with amps )