ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autocar’s Top 100 Used Cars..

This will stir it up a bit....

Ive just been flicking through the Autocar Sept 28th and inside they have an article on the top 100 used cars from £2000 to £25000. Cars included are the Clio 16v and the Williams, the 0-60s quoted are 7.4 for the 16v and 7.7 for the Willy.....Normally its 7.7 for the 16v and 7.5 for the Willy? The info is based on their road tests I presume.

It then goes on to say the Willy drive is crammed with memorable moments, on the limit finesse. "Gods own hot hatch"........for all you Willy owners that must be the ultimate in praise!

The 16v article reads "Lives in the shadow of the brawnier sexier Willy, but thats good news because you can pick them up cheaper. There are hotter thrills but this is a well-judged hot hatch package.

Thatll do me, may even bump the prices up a bit??

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 06 October 2004

it also says it gets beaten by the pug 306 gti 6:confused:,which rather ammused me

ian
It probably does on paper if theyve got the figures wrong as above! Plus the GTI6 will be more comfortable so that may be a road test factor.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 06 October 2004

Pete, Ian lives his life by what magazines and papers tell him though, lets not burst his bubble eh? ;)
Pete,the jesus sucks eggs and does not no of another car unless its blue and has chav gold wheels

0-100 in all mags puts the pug ahead of the willy

ian

Its not about 0-100 but lets not get into that one, figures and statistics can be made to prove anything you like!

Anyway are you the ones that loves TVRs? Proves you have no taste whatsoever! ;)

And whys everyone suddenly aiming their posts at me? :confused:

tvr ? did someone call for a car with a chassis made out of old prams and bodywork made out of a combination of old bathtubs/p38/p40 and spit? very pretty cars but complete sheds, lol

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

but still posts the fastest figures this side of 20k

find me something that beats 0-100 in 8.5 like a 16k cerbera

The t350 beats an evo 8 330 round a track but because its made from elbow grease and spit means its crap...lol.....its also british and built the same way as the fantastic noble brand

i like nostalgia and british spirit and hanmade engines like astons(exept a russian owns it now..lol)

whats wrong with that

ian

[Edited by ian 172 on 06 October 2004 at 10:35pm]

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

1 persons op on a car is not convincing enough.....christ this is a clio website where there are a half dozen gripes a day,but we still keep buying them

ian

Err ok you wanna hear my mates opinion?

Well he nearly died a year ago (actually it was a ago year on tuesday gone) in one of your nostalgic and british spirited fantastic cars (Cerbera)! He hit a patch of diesel on the road which caused the back end to swing round like a pendulum due to bad weight distribution, he hit a lampost. On impact the pedal box (from a 1980s designed ford sierra) collasped through his feet and due to the weak fibreglass shell the door (one of the few metal bits on the car) crushed both his legs. He lost 8 pints of blood in one day, 4 at the scene and 4 during the 3 operations he had the first day, he spent 4 months in hospital (including xmas) not being able to walk and I think he lost count at about 20 operations while they tried to save his leg, eventually two days before xmas last year he had the agonising decision to make of having a lifeless limb (his right leg) attached or having it amputated, he made the choice to have it amputated as the doctors advised that hed have a better life with a false leg. He is still to this day having treatment and physio to get himself up and about with no pain (altho the docs think getting rid of all pain altogether wont happen). So considering a couple of days before the accident we went up to the dealer near ipswich and test drove a Tuscan with a view to replacing the Cerbera, do you think he went through with it and would buy/brought another one?

Id been out it it numerous times before the accident, it was rattley, smelly (burning fibreglass is a horrible smell) and reminded me of the Ginetta I built for a f**k load less than a TVR costs. Its reliability was worse that any Renault Ive ever hear of, it spent more time in the garage than on the road!

hanmade engine? (err most of them are rover engines!)

TVR dont make me laugh, cant touch a list of other supercars if you want to put them in that catagory, I however put them in the glorified kit car catagory and not as good as a few kits Ive seen! And a Evo is not a supercar! Give me a 911 anyday and yes Ive been in both so can comment.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

would love one....you dont buy a car to crash it....imagine a 10 yr old valver hitting a lamp post it would wrap round it like newspaper....still my heart goes out to your mate....wouldnt wish that on anyone.....

The cerbera had the first engine that was fully their own,called the AJP engine which was one of the strongest v8s ever made and all their own

996 turbo is better made but you pay an extra 80k for that privelige and its not as quick...remember the clarkson shoot-out with them all linned up on an airstrip and the cerbera wasted them all

ian

id sooner spend 35k on a 993 turbo thats been fettled and will be faster, handle better, look better, be better built and wont collapse the second it hits something more solid than a dog. ok its more expensive but it wont break down every weeks is a far superior car and will retain most of its value when its time to sell on.

Clio 200 Cup packed

My mate recenlty wrapped his 206 xsi round a lampost after hittting diesel on a roundabout.

Copper said he would of been most certainly dead if he had is seatbelt on and so would anybody sat in the back seat, he was a amazing he was alive.

Luckily he wasnt wearing a seatbelt and the guy who was meant to be in the back seat decided to stay home because i was on my way round to fix his pc.

So will you never wear a seatbelt again? will you never carry passengers? Should lamposts be banned?

just a thought....

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 07 October 2004

would love one....you dont buy a car to crash it....imagine a 10 yr old valver hitting a lamp post it would wrap round it like newspaper....still my heart goes out to your mate....wouldnt wish that on anyone.....
Did I forget to mention he was only doing 40mph? Youd walk away from that in most other cars.

Have you actually been out in one? Seen anyone upclose other that the perfect examples they like to show of at shows?

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 07 October 2004

Didnt the Cooper win, or was that for new cars?
Wouldnt be surprised, small, reasonably cheap and with a BMW dealer network behind you!

The Jinx

That Autocar article is balls.

The 16v is listed as a 1.7 for a kick off. The Willy gets beaten by the Saxo, with no explanation why. The GTI6 is in the under £5k bit wheras the similar Xsara VTS is in the under £10k section (these can be picked up for less than the 306)

Some cars are left out since they are deemed classics. This being that their price is determined by condition rather than age and mileage. So why include the Willy then, on that basis?

The Corrado VR6 finishes a loooong way down the list.

Complete horse-pap IMO.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

i think the willy was behind the saxo purely on age...cant see any other reason

cant believe the willy was in front of the fiat 220 turbo,corrado vr6 or sierra cosworth 4x4.......much better cars imho and much quicker

ian

cant believe the willy was in front of the fiat 220 turbo,corrado vr6 or sierra cosworth 4x4.......much better cars imho and much quicker

ian
Like I said in my post waaaaay up there ^^^^^

do we know what the testing factors were?

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

I was up very close to a blokes tuscan once, i could see at least 10 build quality problems, back of seat falling off, rubber sills around the windows comming off, paint peeling off..... I could go on all day! Would never buy one! Not in a million years! And sorry to hear about your mate pete.....

Horrible cars fullstop!

The Jinx

Seemed hypocritical to include the Wily given other cars such as the E30 M3 were excluded on the basis that their price is set by condition. The Willy is the same.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 07 October 2004

ian
Like I said in my post waaaaay up there ^^^^^

do we know what the testing factors were?
It says at the front of the article it goes on cost and performance to try to rival big names,like lamborghini gallardo for a 1/4 of the cost but is faster(cerbera)

ian

Ian, the best brittish supercar is the Delphino, which new would prlly be around the same price as a Cerbera new... but is as quick as a Mac F1 to 60... thought u might like to know this seeing how 0-60 is how you view a cars performance ;)

anyone got any eggs?

hehe im happy

my car came 4th not the best i know but look at wat beat it ;)

behind a supra TT and E36 M3 cant be bad, just dont like scoobies lol