ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autofinesse Desire vs Sonax Protect & Shine

Ok so let's do a quick review of these products.

First of all please excuse the quality of the pictures, they were taken on my iPhone and uploaded with tapatalk. I hope they come out ok.

A few weeks ago I spent a day on my car, full decon, polish with menz polishes via da and a coat of illusion. Today was just a wash with Britemax Cleanmax and incredimitt. First time using this mitt. Love it! Recommend it to anyone. Best mitt I've used by far. So with the wash done now onto giving these products a try.

So I bought the Sonax P&S because I wanted a product that was fast to apply yet offered incredible water behaviour.

I applied Lime Prime lite to the front wings to see how each product would react over this base. The bonnet was given an IPA wipe down.

I put Desire on the drivers side and Sonax on the passenger side of the car.

The products I used

e2upevag.jpg

Application and removal

Desire: effortless on/off. I can almost do the whole side of my Clio with just a few dabs of the pot. Can't fault it.

Sonax P&S: now this product isn't so straight forward! First of all I applied a couple of sprays onto a foam applicator and it spread very nicely, I did half my bonnet with a few sprays and I was starting to think this product was a doddle. I quickly grabbed my microfiber to remove it and it was very very grabby. It came off ok but it wasn't that nice to use. Same feeling on bare paint and over lime prime lite.

I then went over to the rear quarter and just sprayed it straight onto the panel and wiped it over with a microfiber, this time it was a lot better and started to flash like a qd would do.

Finally I sprayed one light spritz into the microfiber and wiped over the passenger wing. It was just as easy as any qd you've ever used. Very very nice to use. So this is how I will apply the P&S in the future and just remember less is more with this product!

Beading and sheeting, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two. Desire is a very fast sheeter so the Sonax would be a lot faster than most waxes I'm sure. Very tight beads from both and very fast sheeting.

Beading from Sonax

y4u5yma2.jpg

2ujutysy.jpg

Beading from Desire

a9u2ehy9.jpg

uny5y4en.jpg

tupepenu.jpg

This picture straight down the middle shows the products on either side, very similar beading.

e3ajagu7.jpg

Unfortunately it was very cloudy at this point so the paint looks a bit dull but thankfully the sun came out for a few afters.

hamamady.jpg

geve6uhe.jpg

hypubuqu.jpg

I do love bg!

tymyjute.jpg

So what do I think of both products

Desire rrp is £120. Thankfully it can be had for a lot less than that.

Sonax P&S I paid £9.99 from ebay.

When you think the P&S is matching desire and it costs less than a tenner it really is fantastic value and once you get the hang of application it's a doddle.

Desire is just a lovely wax and if your into your waxing this is right up there with the best.

Will have to wait and see about durability because both of these are said to last 6 months. I'll update this thread with the outcome

Thanks for reading

Jack

Last edited:
Apologies for the desire beading pics, the sun just didn't wanna play so the pics are quite dark. In reality the beading was identical.
Cliotoby

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
What is Durability supposed to be like on P&S?

Great pic capturing BG at its best.

Coby. It's 6 months. Would make an ideal winter sealant because I do think it will self clean quite well.

Thanks! It's a great colour

One week update:

So I decided to give the car a wash as it had gathered quite a lot of dust over the week.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking but even after just one week I already know what product is gonna come out on top. This test doesn't even seem fair it's so one sided. Sonax P&S is in another league in terms of water behaviour.

I gave the car a quick rinse and cleaned the wheels. After that I gave the car a proper jet wash and the difference between sonax P&S and desire was huge.

All the pictures below are with a dirty car and a weeks worth of dust and dirt on the surface.

First of all sonax. As soon as the water hits the panel it runs off instantly.

This picture shows the bonnet with Desire on the left and P&S on the right. Desire is a fast sheeting wax but it's left way behind by the sonax.

peqe7yse.jpg

y6a6yjys.jpg

Now onto the rear quarter, blast with the jet wash exactly the same as the bonnet. All these pics were taken as soon as I stopped putting water on the panel.

Sonax

ymyva4yt.jpg

Desire

me9uzahy.jpg

Beading from sonax

sutumady.jpg

ru6ajupe.jpg

Desire

Not quite so tight and tall

4yravure.jpg

7emu9use.jpg

Both products seem to be fine over lime prime lite at this stage.

Here's a video of P&S over lime prime lite. Remember this is on a dirty panel. It's pretty amazing!

https://vimeo.com/104182573

Gave the car a wash with sonax shampoo and incredimitt. Great shampoo and mitt.

usymyse4.jpg

Here's some beading pics once clean.

Sonax is so much better in terms of beading and sheeting.

Sonax

dabuqe3a.jpg

a4e2upy8.jpg

Desire

Quite flat beads for some reason

8uzesumy.jpg

aterygap.jpg

Decided to give P&S application another try on the bootlid but this time with a microfiber applicator. Wow just so easy to use. It was just like applying at qd. It flashes off and that's it. I even applied it to a baking hot panel and it was just as easy.

Application couldn't be simpler.

I'll keep this thread updated but so far P&S is really impressing me

Jack

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Something I've found with the sonax products is that they seem to be able to bead and sheet regardless of how much dirt or dust is on the panel. Something that will have a strong influence over the majority of other LSP's

this does look impressive initially, until you realise that it's shedding all this water off the panel without taking any of the dirt or dust with it.

Interesting Dave. At this time of year my car isn't getting dirty as such so any dust or light dirt is easily coming off with the pressure washer. Will see what happens when winter comes and it gets really dirty.

I live out in the sticks so it will be getting plenty of mud thrown up the sides and I don't wash it that often in the winter months so it really does get filthy. Will see how it behaves then. Might do half the car with P&S and the other half with reload or c2v3 and see how they compare.

Honda & VW
If I hadn't read any of your write up Jack-C I'd have personally assumed the left had side of the bonnet (as you face look at it in the photo) had little or no protection whatsoever. Doesn't seem to be sheeting at all well

If I hadn't read any of your write up Jack-C I'd have personally assumed the left had side of the bonnet (as you face look at it in the photo) had little or no protection whatsoever. Doesn't seem to be sheeting at all well

Yeah it doesn't look too good in the pictures although to be fair to Desire after about 10 seconds or so the bonnet was almost dry. The sheeting was just a lot slower than the other side of the bonnet with the sonax on it.

I think most if not all waxes are really affected by a layer of dust on the surface.

Once I washed the car the beading and quick sheeting did return to the panels with Desire on them although no where near as quick as P&S.

I think Dave made a good point and it will be interesting to see how they compare once we start getting a bit of winter weather and the car gets dirty.