ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aux belt issue! very close call, panicking slightly and need some advice :)

Titanium PH1
hi there i have a little issue with my 05 clio 182 cup basically i was driving down a road around 50mph andi noticed suddenly i lost my power steering as i looked down at the clocks i noticed my battery and stop light where on instantly had a panick attack and turned the car off popped the bonnet to find my aux belt literally on top of my engine not tangled in anything tensioners fine its just baffled me how its just threw the belt off it was changed like 2500 miles ago genuine renault...

been having a weird dry bearing noise from around belt area lately thinking maybe water pumps seized?

any suggestions going to take it apart tomorrow and look..,.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Just check if all the pulleys move ok, belt could have been fitted incorrectly (easily done) seen them fitted not quite right on the p/s pump pulley.

S4 Avant
Fit a new belt at the very least. If the belts flicked off like that, I'd imagine somethings been chewed on it. They're under a lot of tension and the edges of the pulleys could have damaged the belt as it hopped off.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the noises you've heard will be related. you'll have to have it looked at to see what's been doing it

Titanium PH1
All fixed now...turned out the alternator and the bracket that mounts the aircon pump and alternator had snapped! :eek:

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I just picked up a 172 with a very similar issue. Top bracket on the alternators had snapped causing the belt to loose tension and come off. Very weird.

Rb 182
Somthing similar happened to mines at knockhill

was very odd

BD010929-2305-4FC8-9D14-70F89A65CEA2-2376-000002289E822CC9.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've seen that failure a couple I times now.

Why it happens, I believe, is the bottom bolt comes out due to incorrect assembly and the alternator is pulled round by belt tension/force and it snaps the casting.

Titanium PH1
I've seen that failure a couple I times now.

Why it happens, I believe, is the bottom bolt comes out due to incorrect assembly and the alternator is pulled round by belt tension/force and it snaps the casting.

This is exactly what happened!!