ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt problem on a 172

Only just brought the car the other day, and on driving it home, i pulled away quick on a roundabout for it to knock like mad (engine mounts i talke it)? Then as i got further up the road i noticed a rubbing noise.
After expecting in the light in the morning i noticed the aux belt was rubbing on the spring of the tensioner!
I am not sure how this happened as nothing was loose, but it wore into the belt enough to leave a mark and take the print off.
Fitted a new aux belt tensioner and pulley as it comes as a kit from renault and its now fine, so something has happened to the tensioner but i am not sure what.
Is this a common problem with these cars? As i know a friend of mine suffered the same sort of problem with his 172.
Is the car that badly built that you can't accelerate hard from a standing start? Surely this was taking into consideration when putting a 2l lump into a bean tin? What i am getting at is, is it a common problem on clio sports or have i just been unlucky? and maybe should look into getting my engine mounts changed asap.
Cheers in advance for any help on the matter.