ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux Belt/Pulleys

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Afternoon!

I believe from what I have seen (video attached) my aux belt is slipping/squealing, doesn’t do it unless the wheel is being turned and only currently when the car is stationary (guessing more load when stationary?) I am assuming that it is something power assisted steering related. Has anyone had similar? Anyone got a how to guide for a Ph1 172 aux belt and pulleys? Do most people keep PAS or ditch it when they have issues and go EPAS or similar?

Thanks in advance, Happy New Year
1f44d_1f3fb.png

Cheers
Gareth

Attachments

• IMG_6003.MOV
    15.4 MB

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Aux belt tensioner is knackered. Mine did that when it went, I suspect the tensioner spring is just starting to rub on the belt.
The tensioner in the bottom left of the video? Did you do the work yourself? Did you follow a guide? Sorry for all the questions :)

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
The tensioner pully is attached to the spring you can see in your video. I did do it myself yes, I didn’t follow a guide though because ‘MAN’ it’s not a hard job, but a pain in the arse that’s for sure. Access is pretty tight, well it is on a 182 with ac

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Tensioner will most likely have failed. I would get it sorted ASAP as if it takes the aux belt out there is a high chance it will wrap its self round the crank pulley and jump the timing belt taking the engine with it, and engines are getting expensive!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
From memory if you take the drivers side headlight out there is a hole you can get a tool through.

You will want to buy a 100mm (again from memory sorry) Jubilee clip and place it around the spring. You tighten the Jubilee to compress the spring:

1672948686157.png

1672949012952.png

I think this is the hole behind the headlight that lets you (with some swearing) undo the top bolt.

1672949100278.png

Top bolt is a female torx, E12 rings a bell but might be inventing that.

The bottom bolt is a largish allen key here:

1672949241245.png

With the Jubilee clip tightened you are able to remove the Aux belt, with the two bolts undone you can remove the tensioner. Its a fiddly faff but its not really difficult.

Assuming you have AC I would personally buy this kit:

Aux belt is a 3 year service item while cam belt is 5 years I think.

Good luck!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
The tensioner pully is attached to the spring you can see in your video. I did do it myself yes, I didn’t follow a guide though because ‘MAN’ it’s not a hard job, but a pain in the arse that’s for sure. Access is pretty tight, well it is on a 182 with ac
Looks similarly as tight on a Ph1 with AC 😂

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Tensioner will most likely have failed. I would get it sorted ASAP as if it takes the aux belt out there is a high chance it will wrap its self round the crank pulley and jump the timing belt taking the engine with it, and engines are getting expensive!
That's my worry, haven't driven it anywhere since, just trying to figure out what to do, it is also due cambelt so might get the garage to do all at the same time, would just have to get it there

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
From memory if you take the drivers side headlight out there is a hole you can get a tool through.

You will want to buy a 100mm (again from memory sorry) Jubilee clip and place it around the spring. You tighten the Jubilee to compress the spring:

View attachment 1626455

View attachment 1626456

I think this is the hole behind the headlight that lets you (with some swearing) undo the top bolt.

View attachment 1626457

Top bolt is a female torx, E12 rings a bell but might be inventing that.

The bottom bolt is a largish allen key here:

View attachment 1626458

With the Jubilee clip tightened you are able to remove the Aux belt, with the two bolts undone you can remove the tensioner. Its a fiddly faff but its not really difficult.

Assuming you have AC I would personally buy this kit:

Aux belt is a 3 year service item while cam belt is 5 years I think.

Good luck!
Cheers Rob, that's a great help, I downloaded Pure Motorsport AC delete fitting guides last night so that has helped also. Looks a lot easier with the engine out of the car

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
while the belt is off check the crank pulley, i had a problem with the pulley separating, damper has perished away