ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux Belt sqeak

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Sounds like my aux belt its squeaking a bit,

but its very tight, im almost scared to tighten it up more encase its knackers a bearing somewhere!!

is there anything else that can make an aux belt sqeak other than incorrect tension?!

Audi A5
If you had water on it or if it was too tight can cause a speak.

You probably don't have it tight enough, I take if you have a cup alternator setup? These have a belt tension of around 180nm iirc which is quite tight tbf.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
its tensioned in the same way was a cup set up. perhaps ill just tighten is up some more!! 180nm sounds mental! thats double what a wheel nut should be!! how can the tensioning stud handle that?!

Audi A5
Sorry was just going to correct that I ment herts not nm.

If theirs no pre tensioner in the system their usally quite tight so not a lot of movement when moving it with your fingers.

172 cup
I also have a sqeak on my aux belt could someone point me in the direction of the tensioner so i could tighten it up?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
water pump isnt leaking, its pretty much new! im slightly worried the bearing in it is faulty.

so how tight is 130 hertz?! i terms of me turning a 10mm spanner on the tensioner?!
how much should i be able to move the belt up and down?!

S4 Avant
Mine was squeaking a couple of months ago. I thought one of the pulleys was on its way out. Turns out the belt had been rubbing against the tensioner and had worn through to the cable, carving a 2mm groove in the metal.

Audi A5
water pump isnt leaking, its pretty much new! im slightly worried the bearing in it is faulty.

so how tight is 130 hertz?! i terms of me turning a 10mm spanner on the tensioner?!
how much should i be able to move the belt up and down?!

It's not 130 herts! I double checked it earlier for a 172 cup alternator set up it should be 183 herts give or take 9.

If you don't have a herts meter at your disposal then you could try tightened it abit more each time til it stops, it should only move a little bit up and down like silent scone said, about a coins worth.