ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt / tensioner / replacement

Black 172...KN53EL*
Lads (and lasses!),

For a while now, i've had a grinding / belt slipping noise when turning - it started off as only on full lock but has got worse recently, from reading posts on here it sounds likely it's posssibly the aux belt tensioner. It's an '04 172, and 2 years / 12K miles back had the dephaser pully / timing belt kit / access belt kit replaced - Genuine renault parts, and was done at a (former) renault main dealers.

Should I be seeing this after 2 years / approx 12K miles?

From reading on here, if you get the timing belt done you should get the aux done too, but would you say it'd be ok to just have the aux kit replaced? And is it as involved as the timing belt kit - would you say it's ok getting it done at a non-reanult / local garage?

Cheers for the help....
Mick

Black 172...KN53EL*
Cheers for the replies :)

I've had another look and took a quick video.... The tensioner looks to be touching the belt as there's a mark along the belt in line with where the tensioner's coming into contact with it...
The pulley stops turning momentarily when turning the steering wheel.. Would you agree it needs a new aux kit fitting? If so, would a local garage be ok with it - ie none of the special locking tools etc required?

Thanks again
Mick

Last edited by a moderator: