ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux in for Ph2 172 Tuner List headunit? Socket populated already...

So I did a little reading yesterday regarding fitting an aux in cable to the clio sport headunits and it was suggested that you needed to know which type of headunit you had, and that there should be an empty socket on the back, adjacent to the yellow plug.

I pulled mine out of the dash this morning to get the serial number so I could look up the code (which it accepted). It's a Tuner List headunit. Unfortunately the socket is populated with a blue plug. Does anyone know what this is for? And how I might fit an aux input to the headunit?

IMG_20180718_063127263_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180718_063143256_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180718_063305593.jpg

Thanks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Iirc you clip a plug to that then plug them both in.

Check my mk3 aux in fitting guide for reference. I’m aware they’re different head units but it might give you an idea

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I thought tuner list couldn't have aux and 'update list' was needed. Unless using a connnects2

Ok, so I need a connects 2 which is £30 or so and then a bluetooth handsfree such as Anker Soundsync, or I guess go with an aftermarket headunit, but that loses the dash LCD and steering stalks unless there is a compatible adaptor cable....

Are the stereo connections standard ISO plugs?

He shouldn't have a cd head unit & changer (mind you, these day knows what's going on) it was either single cd hu, or tape player hu with under seat changer.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
He shouldn't have a cd head unit & changer (mind you, these day knows what's going on) it was either single cd hu, or tape player hu with under seat changer.
Mine had both, but I also had a satnav, so maybe that made it different?
It was a cabasse auditorium in mine.
20161005_120100_zpsbewc6e7e-jpg.jpg

20161005_120353_zpswlu2zjav-jpg.jpg

Blue cable can be seen in the back from where i disconnected it)

FYI You can't run one of those aux cables, pretty sure they dont work in these.

You can instead get a connects2 box that has an aux on it. I personally had one that went to a 30pin ipod connector as you could then hide away an old ipod. You could also get a 30pin to aux adapter if you wanted, just allows best of both worlds.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Mine had both, but I also had a satnav, so maybe that made it different?
It was a cabasse auditorium in mine.
View attachment 1375976

View attachment 1375977
Blue cable can be seen in the back from where i disconnected it)

FYI You can't run one of those aux cables, pretty sure they dont work in these.

You can instead get a connects2 box that has an aux on it. I personally had one that went to a 30pin ipod connector as you could then hide away an old ipod. You could also get a 30pin to aux adapter if you wanted, just allows best of both worlds.
I think your hu might have been an option ? or someone's changed it some time ?
My old mans (same as yours with s**t nav) has a tape hu & a cd changer under the seat. He has phone prep too, but it was disconnected when he bought it (he got it from Renault at about three months old)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I think your hu might have been an option ? or someone's changed it some time ?
My old mans (same as yours with s**t nav) has a tape hu & a cd changer under the seat. He has phone prep too, but it was disconnected when he bought it (he got it from Renault at about three months old)
I wouldn't say it was ever changed tbh, the original owner of the car owned it for years and always had it serviced with renault, ran a private plate etc so probably specced the car quite highly (Shame they didn't get Recaros) and maybe had this as an option. It was definitely one of the better headunits, much better than the one i had in my old clio.

Yes, i run an aftermarket easily enough.

You can get a connects2 box for about £15 on here, they come up often.

(One here for auction, pretty cheap - should work just fine. Looks identical to the one i had)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTSRN003-Stereo-Steering-Stalk-Control-Adapter-For-Renault-Clio-Kangoo-etc/123247043633?hash=item1cb218a431:g:AFcAAOSw~R1bR61Q&LH_All=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=connects2+clio&LH_ItemCondition=4&_from=R40&rt=nc

Connects 2 retains your steeering wheel controls too.

So if I get that then I can connect any ISO aftermarket HU and retain the full functionality?

EDIT: I believe I need one of these too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects...ring-Control-Adaptor-Patch-Lead-/171031211276

For whatever brand of headunit I choose to go for?

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So if I get that then I can connect any ISO aftermarket HU and retain the full functionality?

EDIT: I believe I need one of these too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects...ring-Control-Adaptor-Patch-Lead-/171031211276

For whatever brand of headunit I choose to go for?

You can buy the connects2 I linked to, to retain your factory headunit and use the 'cd' function on it to listen to your ipod/phone as the connects2 plugs into where your cd changer goes.
It retains factory stalk controls as you're still using your factory headunit.

If you want to change to a new aftermarket HU, then you'll need to get a patch lead that matches the headunit you buy (Alpine, pioneer etc)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
@Louis Ah so you get another cable to go from aux in (3.5mm jack) to the socket for the CD changer on that loom?
If you're running an aftermarket HU it most likely comes with an aux in.

If you're meaning with the connects 2, buy the one above and plug the blue connector into the place where that other blue connector is, then buy this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-Pin-Male-Cable-Stereo-3-5MM-AUX-input-To-iPod-iPhone-Dock-Connector-Adapter/232136398413?hash=item360c68564d:g:y9oAAOSwT6pVuILo&_sacat=0&_nkw=30+pin+to+aux&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.X30+pin+to+au.TRS0
You can't use cd's after fitting the connects2.

@Louis This is the adaptor for adding an aux in to the existing headunit I believe, 3.5mm jack on one end and the CD changer style plug on the other with an interface box

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTVRNX001

CTVRNX001.jpg

Whereas this one allows for the fitment of an aftermarket headunit whilst keeping the steering wheel controls

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSRN003

CTSRN003.jpg

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTPIONEERLEAD (for pioneer headunits)

CTPIONEERLEAD.jpg

The one you linked me to doesnt have a blue plug?

And I've no idea where you'd use the 30 pin aux cable as it doesnt match any of the connectors on the factory headunit or the connects2....

Last edited:
I'm not following, sorry.

So as far as I see it, I have two options, either add an aux in to the existing headunit, or install an aftermarket headunit.

To install aux on the existing one, I need CTVRNX001 which plugs in in lieu of the CD changer (blue blug), and allows me to input a signal from a 3.5mm jack? Everything else stays the same, as it's the factory headunit.

To install an aftermarket stereo, I need CTSRN003 (The one you linked) which takes all connectors from the rear of the factory HU and provides a standard ISO plug. If I wish to retain the steering wheel controls then I also need CTPIONEERLEAD . With this I get my aux in as its a feature of the aftermarkey HU, and retain the steering wheel controls but not the dash display?

What's the ipod adaptor you're talking about?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

So as far as I see it, I have two options, either add an aux in to the existing headunit, or install an aftermarket headunit.

To install aux on the existing one, I need CTVRNX001 which plugs in in lieu of the CD changer (blue blug), and allows me to input a signal from a 3.5mm jack? Everything else stays the same, as it's the factory headunit.

To install an aftermarket stereo, I need CTSRN003 (The one you linked) which takes all connectors from the rear of the factory HU and provides a standard ISO plug. If I wish to retain the steering wheel controls then I also need CTPIONEERLEAD . With this I get my aux in as its a feature of the aftermarkey HU, and retain the steering wheel controls but not the dash display?

The ipod adapter i'm talking about is just CTVRNX001 but with a different plug in. (CTARNIPOD003) So you see on that one it has a cable for aux with 2 rca inputs, the other one i'm talking about has a cable for ipod 30 pin cable and no rca input. This means you can run an ipod and also use an adapter (30 pin to aux) to use aux. But if you're not bothered about ever using an ipod just buy CTVRNX001

Clio RS 172 2002
Get something like the Parrot Mki9000 handsfree, keep the stock head unit for radio and CD, the Parrot plays phone calls, maps and music through the speakers using bluetooth. Pretty easy to install.

Yeah the problem is the audio quality is awful.

In the end I bought a used adaptor lead and a pioneer bluetooth headunit for £50 which gave me bluetooth streaming and handsfree with functioning steering wheel controls.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Yeah quality isn’t fantastic. I’m still on the stock speakers and headunit though so SQ was never going to be great anyway.