ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Awful metallic noise coming from belt side of the engine

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Hi, I started my car this morning and heard a weird metallic noise. I got scared but had to go anyway. I ended up turning the engine off at some point and starting it up again and the noise was gone. It came back when I was at a red light, I switch the A/C on and it disappeared straight away. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220414_142415.mp4
    17.8 MB

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
I'd think so too, how much of a pain is it to fix?

Do you know if it's dangerous to drive it like that?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Would think it could throw the belt if it locked up, potentially taking out the timing belt. Although I did drive my old 182 with a squeaky aux belt for a week or so and didn't have any issues.
Hopefully someone more qualified can answer with more certainty though, wouldn't take my limited knowledge as gospel.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yes, as said sounds like ac pump (pulley). Don’t leave it as it will wipe out your timing belt when the pulley fails, belts jumps and goes through lower timing cover.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Does this require special attention being the F4R or should any Renault shop be able to do it?

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Looks like you can't buy the only the pulley so I need to replace the AC compressor? Any chance the pulley just needs to be tightened? Don't really fancy paying 250 for an AC pump 😦

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Have you confirmed its definitely the AC compressor? does the noise come and go with the activation of the AC? As above just stick a second hand AC compressor on it.

Make sure the fuel rail guard is tight as these can also cause a metallic rattle when they are loose

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
I have no idea, basically I started the car and heard the noise, drove for 5mn before stopping because it sounded really bad. I turned the car off, turned it back on and to noise was gone. Keep driving, go to a drive through, the noise comes back while waiting in line. For some reason I turn ON the A/C and the noise is gone. I drove about 100km since and never heard it again.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like the aircon pully clutch might not be releasing with aircon off.
Had this on an Alfa 156 once, nearly ruined the family holiday!
AA wanted to fix it with a new pump, but car was going anyway.
Alfa mechanic mate said get a shorter belt and bypass aircon pulley. French garage didn't wanna know three days of grief then fixed it myself in 30mins...

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Not sure I follow, you fixed it with a smaller belt as the dealer said? So you post AC?