ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AWT Matched Inlets for 172 / 182

I had my car on the rollers on Sat and its now 18bhp up having fitted an AWT inlet, KTEC remap, Janspeed sportcat and Pipercross filter.

Graphs to prove too.

The AWT inlet works and I highly recommend it.

:)

Clio Sport 172
Thanks everyone,

Would love to have throttle bodies, but my car is stil under an extended warranty, so I think it will have to be an matched inlet. Even if the gain is small, at least I'll know that part is sorted!!!

Cheers.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
just found the RR read outs.
169.73 bhp at the fly before.
182.78 bhp at the fly after.
the only other mods i had was an itg maxagen i.k. & a magnex zourst.
hope this helps.
matt.
Good gains there, the car must have been a little low on power before hand.
I had my car on the rollers on Sat and its now 18bhp up having fitted an AWT inlet, KTEC remap, Janspeed sportcat and Pipercross filter.

Graphs to prove too.

I thought you hit 186 Matt. Surely Pinky didn't start life with 168bhp?

Good gains there, the car must have been a little low on power before hand.

Graphs to prove too.

I thought you hit 186 Matt. Surely Pinky didn't start life with 168bhp?

186ps LOL.

Started out with 165bhp as most 182's do TBH.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Sweet lord, my 172 ran 172bhp with just a panel and exhaust on a DynoDynamics.

I've since fitted the Janspeed cat', inlets and had the remap so would hope for 185-190bhp.

MkII Ph.2 172. Modified.
Sorry if that sounded stupid? I'm not too clued up on all this engine stuff, I just like going fast!!! I was just wanting to know if the matched inlets is good enough to do while I save some money for throttle bodies! Or should i just leave it till I get the throttle bodies?
By RSA in your username, I assume you are in SA.

If so, a TB conversion is prohibitively expensive.
Jenvey Stockists:
http://www.precisionrace.co.za
You're looking at around ZAR15K for a complete Jenvey kit.
Dave Ingle Competition Engineering makes a superb set of throttles, he has a 165kw mk1 golf running on his 45mm throttles. The only problem is it requires a manifold with a weber bolt pattern on the throttle side (Custom job). If you can organise a manifold, I'll gladly help with his contact info as without the manifold, his kit (Rail, 4 bar FPR, injectors (He has a choice but usually 380cc bosch jobs), bodies and trumpets) comes to roughly ZAR9000.00

Management at a minimum will be ZAR2650.00 for Dicktator.

You need cams and valvetrain, and like Fred I'm partial to schrick.
Speak to OB at Chiplogic, or Rob Green at RGM. Both are Schrick stockists.

Pistons... Ha, let me know if you can find anything that won't break the bank or isn't a custom job.
Rods...
Headwork...
Exhaust...

All in, if you're lucky, the job may set you back 50-60k for a good job.

Bear in mind, if you are in Gauteng, you will not see the power figures quoted by some owners here, and you'll have to run your car on jungle juice or 102.6 unleaded from Kyalami, if it is still available.
If you use the 102.6, decat your car as the fuel is boosted with MMT and it blocks renault catalytic converters.

Hope this gives you a starting point. Of course, if you aren't in RSA, disregard this.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
For the record, I had my first crack at another RS last night. Off a roundabout and onto a dual carriageway. I ended up backing off a couple of times as the 172 was clearly quicker. Got to the lights for a bit of a drag, again the 172 was quicker.

Overall, the gains from the inlet and other mods may only seem minor on the rolling road but back to back with a car which in theory should be faster standard and to come out on top; Money well spent I say.

cup 182 mit stripes
In spite of me not being over the moon about my inlets, my cup eats 172s for breakfast.LOL

cup 182 mit stripes
No Len, but it goes a bit to disspel the impression that 172 cups are fastest. A 'phase quick' tried to pass me for 20 odd miles going through Glen Coe, you probably dont know what that's like, take it from me its the best racing road in Scotland. Also, in my village , had a standing start showdown with a 172 owning boy racer, his car was reputably at 185 bhp [corrected] was car length ahead at 60 and nearly 3 at 90.

For the record, I had my first crack at another RS last night. Off a roundabout and onto a dual carriageway. I ended up backing off a couple of times as the 172 was clearly quicker. Got to the lights for a bit of a drag, again the 172 was quicker.

Overall, the gains from the inlet and other mods may only seem minor on the rolling road but back to back with a car which in theory should be faster standard and to come out on top; Money well spent I say.

Sorry mate, don't understand your post!

You had a go with a 182 last night?

leon

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

Sorry mate, don't understand your post!

You had a go with a 182 last night?

leon

Just trying to highlight that a 172 with the matched inlets amongst other things was clearly quicker than a 182; a car which should be quicker as standard.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
No Len, but it goes a bit to disspel the impression that 172 cups are fastest. A 'phase quick' tried to pass me for 20 odd miles going through Glen Coe, you probably dont know what that's like, take it from me its the best racing road in Scotland. Also, in my village , had a standing start showdown with a 172 owning boy racer, his car was reputably at 185 bhp [corrected] was car length ahead at 60 and nearly 3 at 90.
So something has worked with your choice of mods then. I can understand why you weren't instantly overwhelmed by the presence of the inlets, I was in the same boat. I think it is a mod' that becomes more apparent over time.

As for VFM, that is a different bag o' beans.

Fair play mate, i want have a go, you never said which RS you had a pop with!:)

Great news , i will be gutted if after spending £600ish on , panel, inlet's , remap that a standard 182 had more power:dapprove:

leon

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It was a 182, un-Cupped from memory. Just remember that the 182's tend to gain less than earlier 172's due to better quality inlet casts.

Nevertheless, the car will be more driveable with that little lot. My mate terms my car as having ''much more reach throughout the rev' range'' in comparison to his standard 172.

Yeah the car feel's a lot better full stop!

It feel's ready! like how a RS should feel as standard?

The three mod's i have , just seem too work so well together,it feel's like the car was made for them!

Great stuff:)

leon

cup 182 mit stripes
I dont think a 172 cup is 80kgs lighter than a 182 cup, also, my alloys are 12kgs lighter than standard jobbies. Multiply that by 2 cos they are part of unsprung weight, factor in the data of me weighing just over 10 stone and you will find our weight is on a parr with your average 172 jockey and motor.