ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

<b>What are coilovers</b>

Im looking into lowering my 172, but dont want to lose the pliable handling, or make it too uncompromising on the limit of adhesion. Ive heard that coilovers would be the best solution for this. But what are they?

Matt

Lionel Richie

Fully adjustable suspension units. You can adjust the ride height, the damping rate and probably something else but i cant remember!!!!

Hey matt, Bilstein make a set of coilovers for the 172, it has adjustable ride height from 0-70mm and also 16 point adjustable damping on the shock. youu can check pics I posted on the yahoo cliosport web page photo album under "Jap Parts"

Cheers Mate! (off to check out the pics now...)

So do they replace the standard springs and shocks then?

Any idea roughly how much the Bilstein parts would be - I cant find anyone who sells Bilstein stuff for a Clio 172.

Matt

Lionel Richie

They replace you front struts (springs and shocks) completely. Same on the rear i think theyre about £850 (im not 100%sure though)

coileover will only be good, if you know how to set them up. Normal adjustables like konis will be more than good for the road. Coilovers when used for the road are just for clearance and slamming. I doubt the average person could tune the coilovers to their best at the limit. I wouldnt bother if you just want to tidy up the handling, save money, and buy more stuff! like super sticky yokohama A038Rs. Then nobody, and i mean nobody will be able to keep up round the bends!

Yeah, Im thinking of getting some koni adjustable shocks myself to go with my APEX springs. The Konis have 8 point damping adjustments which is more then enough and the APEX springs are low enough for me (35mm front and rear) but Koni springs are also the same ride height as the APEX.
I was seriously thinking about getting coilovers but because I dont think Ill go lower than what I already have to be able to drive in Hong Kong (loads of speed bumps and sh*tty roads) so I ditched the idea. The Konis should be fine.

BenR do you know how to setup coilovers? H&R are selling them for Clio 172s now. Not that I was thinking of getting them. Just gonna stick with GTT springs and uprate shocks later. Plus H&R are 675 pounds not including VAT. Ouch.

Chun.

well, the only way we could effectively set up the coilovers would be to go to castle coombe and take lap times..but then, that setting would only be useful for castle coombe. I have a fair bit of experience with suspension settings and i mostly had to del with it myself as i couldnt communicate with the mechanics too well, and so didnt give them enough feedback. If you do get the, we can set aside a weekend to setup the right compression/rebound rate and ride hight. Assuiming that its fairly adjustable.....i run my konis on thier softest setting and its sill a bit too hard for the road.

the real problem though it the rears....most of us will be experienceing heavy understreer in fast corners because the rear torsionbar is too think and doesnt provide string enought spring effect. Well, and teh rear is usually too low aswell. The secret is to load up the rear suspension as much as possible, giving it some work to do, as opposed to 10% of the mechanical grip generated. This can be done by having a super hard rear suspenion setup...by hard i also mean spring rates are high...not just compression damping.

oops, just my spelling, string aint even meant to be there and think after torsionbar is meant to be thin....oh well......im your regular dumbass...but teh lovable type "align=absmiddle>