ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cup driveshafts?

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Hi ive seen alot of this has been covered many times in the past but im struggling to find any upto date information about driveshafts, specifically the drivers front (OSF) driveshaft for a 182 cup. Whats im tryna figure out is whats out there?
Ive seen multiple driveshafts out there such as the j&r but some people say the inner boot gets torn apart on them, is thats true? And is it possible to fix that?
Ive also heard about how if a cars lowered the driveshaft length plays a large part of it as some wont fit or get worn out quickly?

My clio is a 182 ff in daily use so having it off the road for a few days is a struggle so wanting to do the job once and not ordering random shafts hoping they fit. The car is on coilovers so what would people recommend?

Many thanks for reading all this and i hope in this post it can be made clear as these driveshafts are increasingly harder to find😁

I tried J&R once and it's a cheap part that cost me a lot in doing the job again to replace them within weeks!

GKN were available for one side and much better quality, think I put the original other one back on, this was a couple of years ago

May be Autodoc have some options, not sure what the import duties are like and can take weeks to arrive apparently

K-tec have some genuine Renault available (incl 182 Cup N/S!) £178

Renault clio 1.2 16v

K-tec have some genuine Renault available (incl 182 Cup N/S!) £178
Sweet thanks!
Assuming with the ktec driveshafts as there isnt a 182 cup OS id have to get the regular 182 non cup amd then get a cup abs ring

Good point, this thread

goes in to more detail and seems to agree (& also that the GKN one may be the non-cup version)

Good luck bud; let us know how you get on 👍🏻

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Hi ive seen alot of this has been covered many times in the past but im struggling to find any upto date information about driveshafts, specifically the drivers front (OSF) driveshaft for a 182 cup. Whats im tryna figure out is whats out there?
Ive seen multiple driveshafts out there such as the j&r but some people say the inner boot gets torn apart on them, is thats true? And is it possible to fix that?
Ive also heard about how if a cars lowered the driveshaft length plays a large part of it as some wont fit or get worn out quickly?

My clio is a 182 ff in daily use so having it off the road for a few days is a struggle so wanting to do the job once and not ordering random shafts hoping they fit. The car is on coilovers so what would people recommend?

Many thanks for reading all this and i hope in this post it can be made clear as these driveshafts are increasingly harder to find😁
Shaftec supply refurbished genuine ones. I'd highly recommend one of those.

More money than the J&R but they're essentially a refurbished genuine part. You want R396R (OSF - Drivers) replaces 8200352042 and R396L (NSF - Passenger) replaces 8200372167.

IMG_6093.jpeg

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Ive had a quick look around seeing where i can get each driveshaft, as of right now ktec have offers on for there non 182 cup osf drive shaft which is making it the cheapest at £178 and then its the shaftec which looks to have the cup abs ring already on it at £183 and then the gkn which is about 220 and from ECP has a £70 surcharge so overall depending on what people r after id say the shaftec is the least hassle and the gkn would be the cheapest if u didnt mind waiting to be refunded that £70 after sending the orignial unit away. And then if the ktec is anything like the other stuff on their site then its gonna be great. But if the offers go off itll be the most expensive.

Hope the breakdown of the shafts can hopefully help someone but i havent tried any of these driveshafts yet so could be wrong🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230429_083756_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_083756_eBay.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230429_084312_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_084312_Chrome.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230429_084554_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230429_084554_Chrome.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 34
  Renault clio 1.2 16v
Shaftec supply refurbished genuine ones. I'd highly recommend one of those.

More money than the J&R but they're essentially a refurbished genuine part. You want R396R (OSF - Drivers) replaces 8200352042 and R396L (NSF - Passenger) replaces 8200372167.

View attachment 1641111im definitely tempted the most by the shaftec unit as it seems to be a direct swap and i dont have to faff around with abs rings

Carparts4less you can either pick it up from Eurocarparts or get it delivered for free & can take the return item to ECP now, so with current 20% discount code BANK (always a code on, from 17-19% usually) and a lower advertised price, is £70 cheaper than choosing their sister company to give your money to!

When I was looking at J&R, there were mixed reviews, I made a punt and paid the price. Looking at google reviews of Shaftec, I wouldn't be going down that route (also may be coincidence, but both companies are based in Birmingham, both offering a similar service, and both have mixed reviews, the bad ones are really bad and not just one or two) Great to hear of a potential alternative option though

Good luck whichever route you take 👍🏻

Renault clio 1.2 16v
Ive currently got a j&r on the NS i bought it expecting it to just get me able to get to and from work as i struggled to find other shafts in stock and so far theyve done over 3.5k miles and i have put them thru a bit of stick to see why theres so much negativity about them but it seems good, but if it does go wrong ill mention something on here

Renault clio 1.2 16v
I have finally got round to swapping the osf driveshaft!
I bought a shaftec driveshaft in the end which was quite an easy job to do however ive noticed the clip for the inner boot hits the engine aswell as the inner boot, ive swapped the clip for a cable tie for now which only just has clearance but the inner boot noticeably rubs against the little block on the side of the engine, kinda looks like a tab thatll support the engines weight when its on some sort of stand.
So my question is, is there anywhere that sells driveshafts which have the oem inner boot? Or is it a case of cutting that tab off and hoping for the best?

I have seen an oem non cup driveshaft osf driveshaft which has the oem boot so might be able to swap the abs rings🤷‍♂️ but as theres no new oem 182 cup driveshafts for the osf whats the best thing to do?