ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back fire and running rough when cold

Clio sport 182
Hi, had a replacement engine in my 182 a few months back and took in to Oulton Park for a blast. On the warm up laps, revving for the sound test and when engine was cold, there was some backfiring and pop/bangs going on and the engine was running a bit rough. Felt like it was misfiring. I don't have a pop/bang re-map but its a 172 engine dropped into my 182.

After a few laps of Oulton, the issue went away. No back firing and all seemed OK. Since then I've only had a few little runs but again, running rough.

Had new dephaser, belts, water pump etc. Engine light is flashing so wondering if its coil packs, plugs?

Anyone with any ideas?

Help and advice appreciated

Thanks

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Injector is usually the culprit when you have the engine management light flashing.
Have a search on here and you'll see it's quite common.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be pretty confident that it's likely to be an injector. Mine went into full-blown Scooby Mode when it went and the EML was flashing.

Got a new injector ordered through Euro Car Parts and the problem was sorted. Ordered a replacement set for the other three cylinders, not long after.

Clio sport 182
A basic code reader will tell you which injector is playing up too - just remember Renault's numbering system of the cylinders!
Cheers Darren. I was hoping it would be something simple! I do have a code reader but it seems to be knackard. Will get one ordered and see how it goes. Cheers for your help.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
No worries - I the one I ordered was this, but I guess it will be cheaper with a discount code applied or bought from elsewhere? I certainly didn't pay that much for one.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Just make sure you go OE for injectors. I had a similar issue and stupidly thought the eBay ones would work and they were worse than the buggered ones.

There was a seller on eBay doing genuine MM ones for around £30 each IIRC.