ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bad coilpack connector/clip or wire?

172 ph1
My 172 ph1 has a weird issue. I suspect it's the coilpack connector that comes from the ECU, or one of the 2 wires that are connected to that connector/clip.

Sometimes my car would go to 3 cylinders. This can often be solved just be a restart which resets the ECU. But sometimes I have to wiggle the coilpack connector or take it off and replug it to get the engine running normally again.

I rarely see the problem in everyday use. Most of the time it starts happening after I've pushed the car hard on track for some time - perhaps a heat issue? In any case it became much better after I wrapped some tape on the 2 thin wires of that connector, and used some gaffa tape to help hold the clip down better, but the problem still came back after a few hours of lapping Spa.

Should I replace the connector and possibly the last bit of wire that's connected to the connector?

edit: I must clarify that it's definitely not an issue with the coilpack. When I had the misfire and replaced the old coilpack with a new one, the problem did not go away. The thing that did help was the gaffa tape.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Poor connection in the loom/multi-plug or maybe even a broken or damaged wire. Try running direct lines from the ECM directly to the coilpack and see if it cures the problem.

172 ph1
Poor connection in the loom/multi-plug or maybe even a broken or damaged wire. Try running direct lines from the ECM directly to the coilpack and see if it cures the problem.
Thanks for that!

Is it easy to locate the contacts to use for the coilpack on the ECM, do I just need to I use a multimeter?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
essentially yes... continuity test the lines till you find each pin (though if you have a break in a trigger wire you won't get the "Beep" as you won't have continuity)

Clio 172,Focus rs
Hello , for reference on what they suggested to you about the direct lines from the ecm... The ECM pins to the coil triggers are the following:
Pin 1 ignition 2-3 control
Pin 32 1-4 control

Try to wiggle the ECM connector to see if the misfire occurs. Happened to me and it turned out the wire to pin 32 was loose.

I hope this helps

ClioSport 172
can any of you advise me? Should there be 3 or 4 pins inside the coil pack PLUG.. there are 4 pins on my coil pack but I can only see 3 pins in the plug.. My cars doing the same as yours.. running like crap and jumpy on 3/4 cylinders.. think I may have damaged plug removing/pluggin it back in several times whilst making repairs.. think the 4th pin may have gone walk abouts inside the plastic plug as it doesn't mate with the coil pack very easily at the moment either..Thanks