ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Badge snobs

RS Clio Trophy
Since ordering my 200 i have been the victim of much ridicule
from friends and work mates for spending £15,000 on a RENAULT CLIO!!.
They all say omg you could have bought an old M3, a new style A3 a Merc, BMW 325i an Alfa GT the list goes on.
Its starting to get annoying and apart from the M3 which is nice but i,d never get insured there all so boring and more for comfort and showing off than actual driving pleasure!
I mean people with lots of money tend to miss out on such good cars like any renault sport clio or meg because it holds a renault badge. They might not have a million bhp but give it a twisty road and it will stick to most super cars arse worth 4-5 times the money.
So on that basis 15k is a bargain!
Does anyone else get these type of comments from friends and if so i want some witty comment to come back next time :evil:
i do all the time and it annoys me aswell! or another one is " a renault clio? thats a bit girly isent it?" let me take you on some twistys and then say its girly! but all this makes it more satisfying when you beat said "better" cars. i love my little hot hatches and probably always will

The depreciation is nothing compared to the cost of running a 20 year old golf like i did before. Not only the cost but the fact that every noise it made i worried and paniced thinking it was broken. For the little added extra cost i pay im happy to just jump in the car and not worry about any hidden costs. I know what i have paid is it so nothing else matters.

Oh and even second hand cars drop in price so pointless point.

Should be able to resell the 200 for 9-10k in 3 years EASY

Mate bought a 182 2 years ago 8k ish not worth much more than 5 now oh and he has to do his belts, he was also worring about some rattles coming from the exhaust aswell. He also has to MOT it,

Focus st brand new rnt 15k..,.

You get my point?

Paul
Not really, the older a car is, the less it depreciates.

Cars lose the most value in their first three years, after that it goes down gradually.

I guess it's fixed cost motoring for you at the end of the day, if you're happy to pay the premium, then fair enough.

Also, the focus was an indication as to how poor value for money that Clio actually is.
The focus will be better built, better engineered and faster. May lack some attributes of the Clio, but my 15k wouldn't go anywhere near a car manufactured by Renault.

RS200
You must be joking about the "supercar" part I hope.

The renault clio RS isn't exactly fast, I would class it as nippy, it merely feels fast because it's essentially a cardboard box on wheels.

Brand new, I would class it as poor value for money. I would pay a few k for one, I would never pay £15,000 for one as they are poorly engineered and IMO not worth £15k, even when new.
If it must be a hot hatch, something like this http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2007&vehicleRegLetter=57 will be better value for money as it's a little older, but will have some money spent on the interior and engineering of various mission critical parts.

Not in the slightest the clio if driven by a pro would down a twisty B road keep up with a supercar! Top Gear mag has just done a road test with a clio cup and a lambo sv, R8 focus RS, KTM x bow, Merc sterling moss, and more and it is as good as all of them on the road.
Super cars have too much power and not enough traction to go fast on a B road

RS200
it might not be out yet cos i get mine early i think they come out on a wed if i remember. but try anyway

Clio 172 RS2
You must be joking about the "supercar" part I hope.

The renault clio RS isn't exactly fast, I would class it as nippy, it merely feels fast because it's essentially a cardboard box on wheels.

Brand new, I would class it as poor value for money. I would pay a few k for one, I would never pay £15,000 for one as they are poorly engineered and IMO not worth £15k, even when new.
If it must be a hot hatch, something like this http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2007&vehicleRegLetter=57 will be better value for money as it's a little older, but will have some money spent on the interior and engineering of various mission critical parts.

Hahahaha

You obviously don't own a Clio RS innit'?
Ford Focus? WTF***
You must be a brand snob... :lolup:

A Clio RS feels fast because it is a cardbox?
So the Focus must be a brick... feeling solid planted et al.

Again the true meaning of a Hot Hatch!
The Clio RS ticks all the various boxes...

Cup and R6
I know what you mean about badge snobs,

having owned nothing but VAG cars in the passed, i can honestly say changing to a renault doesnt bother me in the slightest, sure it squeaks and rattles all the time compared to my old cars but the sheer driving enjoyment more than makes up for it, plus it handles a lot better than all my old heavy vag 1.8T lumps!

badge snobbery doesnt really bother me, having owned a skoda in the past :rasp:

but imo its people that arent car enthusiasts that make those sort of comments, anyone who knows an ounce about cars will know why youve bought a certain car, a receptionist at my gym took one look at my car and said "as if thats as fast as my mini (1.6 convertible)" i honestly almost said LOL out loud :rolleyes:

Hahahaha

You obviously don't own a Clio RS innit'?
Ford Focus? WTF***
You must be a brand snob... :lolup:

A Clio RS feels fast because it is a cardbox?
So the Focus must be a brick... feeling solid planted et al.

Again the true meaning of a Hot Hatch!
The Clio RS ticks all the various boxes...

Funnily enough I own a Clio 172. (why on earth would I be on a cliosport forum??)
The focus feels miles more solid than any clio that I have sat in.

RS200
I like focus st's but that one is awful with those go faster stripes and red leather!
They have very high running costs too.

Cup and R6
a friend of mine has an ST, i like them, just rather heavy, hes had his mapped and had suspension tweaks from morego so its a cut above a standard version, its quite twitchy tbh, id say the old RS was better round corners, IIRC the ST doesnt have the limited slip diff that the RS had, someone correct me if i'm wrong though.

still think theyre pretty chavvy though! :rasp:

GTD, Lupo
a friend of mine has an ST, i like them, just rather heavy, hes had his mapped and had suspension tweaks from morego so its a cut above a standard version, its quite twitchy tbh, id say the old RS was better round corners, IIRC the ST doesnt have the limited slip diff that the RS had, someone correct me if i'm wrong though.

still think theyre pretty chavvy though! :rasp:

nail and head comes to mind.

PS 200
Pretty much all cars lose 50% of their "value" in 3 years.

The Clio brand new costs the same amount as the amount of money you lose on most of it's competition (over priced over weight ex-hot hatches ;) - £20k new for a focus ST - or get a 2 year old one for half the price http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/for-sale/search/ford/focus-st-2005/45-17932271.aspx ) over these three years - so depreciation wise it's a winner.

It's engineers have pretty much spent all their time looking at the engine and the chassis in order to provide the best driving experience to be had for £15k. This they have achieved.

Sure in 3 years it will have cost me approx £2k a year depreciation - but it is definitely worth it :D

Last edited:
  PS 200
Funnily enough I own a Clio 172. (why on earth would I be on a cliosport forum??)
The focus feels miles more solid than any clio that I have sat in.
Have you sat in a 200 ?

I was pleasantly surprised the first time I sat in a 200 (which coincidentaly was the day I picked mine up :D)