ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Balancing Fine, no buckles, shocks ok...then what the hell is this?!

Flame Red 172!
As above, get a real noticable vibration through the steering wheel at about 80mph so had my balancing and tracking checked - 2 of the wheels has no weights at all and the tracking was 7 degrees out...got it sorted but it's still vibrating like a w*ore at 80...any ideas?

Thought it might be bearings but getting really f*cked off with it now!

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
dunno, havn't rang renault yet, they told me mine have lots of play when i had the mot, can't remember exactly what they said it was, but i presume if they are worn it will let the wheel wobble !! says on the mot thing at home what they are - some mechy will probably tell u b4 i go home.

clio 172
all depends how theyve balanced them if they static balanced them (just put the weights on the inner wheel only) they probably will vibrate i work at ATS and the balancer has got to show zeros with weight on inner edge and outer either clip on weight or a stick on weight behind the spoke.
sorry it sounds a bit in depth but it might stop the vibration.

Chocolate Bar™
I ahd this on mine. After having it balanced and tracked (both were tonnes out) there was still a small vibration. Coincidencially i'd ordered some new tyres, when i took the old ones off and put the new ones on it stopped completly, turned out it was due to heavily uneven tyre wear

Clio 172 Mk2
or distorted tyres ???

I reckon that this is more common that people expect - I used to get vibrations, some days worse than others. Had the wheels balanced, seemed a bit better but still there. Replaced the cheapo tyres that came with my new wheels and hey presto, no vibrations. Worse when the tyres are nearing the end of their life.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Not just cheap tyres though, I've had my Turinis fitted with Michelin PE2's balanced 3 times now and I still get a slight intermitant vibration through the wheel.

To Billy...

Are you running standard wheels?
If they're aftermarket your vibration could be down to incorrect spigot rings.

Flame Red 172!
Nope, still running original wheels and got good quality tyres all around - Conti sport contacts...front are brand new and back are 4 months old!

Doing my head in though...guess i'll just have to avoid motorways (shame)

Had a wicked drive on the back roads home last night though...I love the twisties!!!! :evil:

CB600FS
Mate check your driveshafts mine start to vibrate 80mph+ if I turn the wheel even slightly it goes. Just haven't got round to sorting it yet.

clio mk1 1.8/16v
id go with tom rt and get ya drive shafts checked if its not them get the garage 2 check your brake disc's arnt warped m8.