ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Balljoint Bolts to Wishbones, what specs?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Hi All,

I seem to have a problem where the outer most bolt that secures the balljoint to the wishbones keeps loosening off. The actual balljoint is fine with no abnormal play, the end bolts just require a tweak up now and then.

Reading around a bit on the forums, it seems the original Renault bolts are a finer thread or something to most aftermarket ones available and sometimes it causes this? Its quite probable the bolts have been changed for the new ones in a pack of aftermarket parts in its 16 years of age. Tried to order new from Renault and they're marked NLA.

Does anyone have the specs for these bolts? I know they're M12, guessing around 10.9 tensile? But as far as length and pitch i'm not too sure. I'm hesitant to measure the existing ones as they're causing me problems.

Any other advice regarding them loosening is greatly appreciated

Cheers

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Are you on about the 2 bolts into the wishbone or the pinch bolt in the hub?

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Renault don't make nuts and bolts mate

Try looking for Lemforder or TRW ones mate

I'd ordered just bolts from Renault about 6 weeks previous for the pinch bolt and gearbox mounts so it surprised me to be fair...

Are you on about the 2 bolts into the wishbone or the pinch bolt in the hub?

The 2 M12's into the wishbone, not the single pinch into the hub that ones nice and tight!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Shouldn't be coming loose tbh.

New ones come with Lemforder ball joints.

Bang them on at 62Nm.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Shouldn't be coming loose tbh.

New ones come with Lemforder ball joints.

Bang them on at 62Nm.

It is worrying why they keep coming loose.

So the only solution to sourcing new bolts is to buy a whole new balljoint? That's a bit of an annoyance as the actual joints themselves are sound. I'll wait for a euros/GSF discount weekend or something and have to pick some up! Cheers :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
It is worrying why they keep coming loose.

So the only solution to sourcing new bolts is to buy a whole new balljoint? That's a bit of an annoyance as the actual joints themselves are sound. I'll wait for a euros/GSF discount weekend or something and have to pick some up! Cheers :)

Changed a mates ball joints on the weekend and the 2 bolts didn't look anything special in terms of thread.

Just either 8.8 or 10.9 grade M12 bolts with nyloc nuts.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Changed a mates ball joints on the weekend and the 2 bolts didn't look anything special in terms of thread.

Just either 8.8 or 10.9 grade M12 bolts with nyloc nuts.

Thanks for the update mate, to be fair my original post was probably a bit pointless, any thread is better than one that loosens in hindsight 😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thanks for the update mate, to be fair my original post was probably a bit pointless, any thread is better than one that loosens in hindsight 😂

What are you tightening them to?

As really you could tighten them a lot more than the 62Nm quoted tbh, they're big bolts.

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
What are you tightening them to?

As really you could tighten them a lot more than the 62Nm quoted tbh, they're big bolts.

As they've been coming loose mate, as tight as I can personally get them with a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 1ft-ish bar on the end. So far they've stayed tight a week or so but i'm still not happy with it.

If you're re-using the nylock then it will come loose unless you give it a good wang or a few ugga duggas

They're not nylocs on there. I don't know the proper name for these type of nuts, I've had them before with car parts though. Best way to explain is they look like they've been squashed ever so slightly oval from new. I guess they 'lock' from always trying to pull back to that oval shape?

I've had them with lemforder etc on previous vehicles before but like I say no idea on the name

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
As they've been coming loose mate, as tight as I can personally get them with a 1/2 inch ratchet with a 1ft-ish bar on the end. So far they've stayed tight a week or so but i'm still not happy with it.

They're not nylocs on there. I don't know the proper name for these type of nuts, I've had them before with car parts though. Best way to explain is they look like they've been squashed ever so slightly oval from new. I guess they 'lock' from always trying to pull back to that oval shape?

I've had them with lemforder etc on previous vehicles before but like I say no idea on the name
You'll have to get a pic cos I have no idea what you're on about😂

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
You'll have to get a pic cos I have no idea what you're on about😂

NTLH10X15CLZ%20Class%2010%20DIN%206927%2015MM%20wrench.jpg

Shameless theft from google, but they look like that. It looks like a bad picture because the threaded hole isn't round but that's actually how they are.
Definitely had them with lemforder and the like before, Internet reckons they're 'torque prevailing' style lock nuts 🤷‍♂️

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right okay, built-in washer type. That's just so you don't forget the washer and have it pull into the metal, it's just for pressure spreading across a surface.

Yeah get a dab of Loctite on em and it'll be reet

406 V6, Race Buggy
No, it's a deformed nut - that's why there's two flats on the thread - the nut actually distorts to give a locking effect, like K-nuts.

What are you doing them up to?

Should be 76NM from memory.

If they're coming loose then I'd take them off to try and establish why.

I've just got Lemforder botls and nyloc nuts on mine, with generic heavy durty washers top and bottom.

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Hi, thought id add to this one rather than start a new one. Just got a pair of Lemforder ball joints to fit from Euros. Comes with the new nuts/bolts/washers etc but also comes with a white plastic template like thing. Can anyone tell me what this bit is for please? Thanks
IMG_8605.JPG

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
They're down at £7.79 with the discount code at mo so figured i'd change them while i have car in bits

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Hi, thought id add to this one rather than start a new one. Just got a pair of Lemforder ball joints to fit from Euros. Comes with the new nuts/bolts/washers etc but also comes with a white plastic template like thing. Can anyone tell me what this bit is for please? Thanks
View attachment 1474555
Does anyone know if you can buy these separately? Got new wishbones but they haven't come with any and i didn't have any on my car to start with.

Thanks in advance