ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banging about the n/s front

"Navy" N17 TWO
Since yesterday I've noticed I'm getting a strange banging/sometimes catching noise coming from the n/s front wheel arch (that's where it seems to be when driving)

The wheel is catching something and makes that "thud" on full right lock but ok on the left lock :S

At first I thought it was my CAF in the lower grill flapping around as it was loose, tightened it up but the noises are still there.
Even took the tow-eye off the bumper to eliminate anything that would rattle about.

I've had a look around the wheel and can't really see anything obvious that would make that sort of noise.

It only happens if you drive over "imperfections" in the road, ie the slightest dip or bulge in the tarmac lol

Any ideas?
Trev

"Navy" N17 TWO
A mate has suggested a droplink - but didn't say where abouts lol :S

Any other things I can check in the morning?

"Navy" N17 TWO
When you go over a speedbump you only hear the knock when the front wheel gets right over the bump.
But if you drive over uneven road or even onto different road surfaces in town, it's mayhem - sounds like the front bumper is about to rattle off! :eek:

Sounds possibly like the drop link from the anti roll bar

basically its a big bolt and a bit of rubber that connects onto the anti roll bar
when it breaks the anti roll bar and the suspension arm bang off each other
hence the noise

very common on clios

"Navy" N17 TWO
All the arb bushes seem ok Mikey

I had a look around the wheel & suspension arm today when i got the jack underneath.
When I pus putting the jack in, I was very surprised to find one of my caliper bolts wedged between the subframe and the chassis of the car! :eek:

Had another nosey around and found the back of the hub is caked in CV grease :banghead:

Fun times!

PH1 V6
Iv got this problem and have done for a while now... car drives without fault so iv kinda just learn to ignore it. im fitting coilovers, new top mounts and arb bushes soon so hoping that cures it lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
I put my caliper screw back in (top one, of the 13mm ones on the back)

Bloody thing won't fully tighten :S

2.0 Sport
Sounds just like problem I had just after I bought mine in 2008. Turned out a modification was needed to the suspension turret and was a common fault. Dealer fixed for £156.

The noise used to occur when mounting a curb (on full lock) or going over a speed bump. It was a creaking / knocking sound.

Hope this helps

Iceberg Ph1
I put my caliper screw back in (top one, of the 13mm ones on the back)

Bloody thing won't fully tighten :S

Eek.. finding that is a bit of a scary thing, do you mean the sliding bolt that threads into the calliper with a rubber sleeve, or the bolt that holds the carrier to the strut? Either way that would probably be the cause of the noise, being loose, swinging and causing catching on your discs from your pads.. Chances are the nut was overtightened in the past or perhaps cross threaded and may need a replacement calliper/carrier.. Hope you get it sorted mate that's a bit hairy!

Sounds just like problem I had just after I bought mine in 2008. Turned out a modification was needed to the suspension turret and was a common fault. Dealer fixed for £156.

The noise used to occur when mounting a curb (on full lock) or going over a speed bump. It was a creaking / knocking sound.

Hope this helps

Was this perhaps done by putting a large washer under the top mounts?

Edit.. Didn't realise you wrote the 13mm bolt, this is the sliding bolt in that case. You need to use a 13mm on the actual bolt and a 17mm iirc on the larger nut the bolt screws into.. Might help if you haven't tried already..

Last edited:
  Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
be happy its making noises it means the parts still there.

When the rattling goes thats when you get worried and look in your rear view mirror to see if its lying in the road ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
LOL Steve, that's certainly one way of looking at it :)

Anyway, here's where I found the screw that came out of the top of the caliper (wedged in between that bracket and the chassis)
PA250004.jpg

You can see in this pic where it's out of the caliper
PA250002.jpg

PA250003.jpg

And of course my lovely CV joint :rolleyes:

Top mount in full left lock!
PA250008.jpg

Eek.. finding that is a bit of a scary thing, do you mean the sliding bolt that threads into the calliper with a rubber sleeve, or the bolt that holds the carrier to the strut? Either way that would probably be the cause of the noise, being loose, swinging and causing catching on your discs from your pads.. Chances are the nut was overtightened in the past or perhaps cross threaded and may need a replacement calliper/carrier.. Hope you get it sorted mate that's a bit hairy!

Edit.. Didn't realise you wrote the 13mm bolt, this is the sliding bolt in that case. You need to use a 13mm on the actual bolt and a 17mm iirc on the larger nut the bolt screws into.. Might help if you haven't tried already..

Just realised that when I had got pi**ed off with it and put everyting away lol :eek:

Iceberg Ph1
^^ My god thats a bit messy haha.. CV joints are a nightmare when they come apart! Looks like in those pictures though that the carrier is hubbing on the joint (not sure if its just the grease thats making that effect or not)

Looks asif there are a few issues with your offside, I'm pretty sure the top mount shouldn't be sitting like that when on full lock, Mine tilts ever so slightly but not as bad as that... Hopefully you have it sorted mate I bet that was a bit of a shock to find a random bolt wedged into the chassis lol

Iceberg Ph1
Just managed to get onto a PC with a much better monitor then the sh!t we have a work.. Can see now that the carrier hasn't rubbed the CV.. Oh and I meant Nearside really! Doh!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah cheers Darren, the noise had gone when I got the screw in and drove down to a mates to get the CV boot done.

After that we double-checked both calipers and then he noticed one of my coolant hoses was off the back of the radiator so I was loosing fluid!

Got the hose back on and topped up then she wouldn't hold her level so I bled the system at a mates house and rechecked. By that time it was pitch black, I had run out of coolant and the map sensor was hissing to add insult to injury.

Called the AA out to make sure everything was fine as I had no way home and no way of getting the car to a mechanic .

We stripped the plenum off the car to get part of the sensor out that had fallen in then he took me down the road home to get the spare map sensor I got from Josh on here and Bob's your uncle - the 17 TWO is home :D

What a feckin day! :rolleyes:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Glad to hear you got the car sorted man :D Wouldnt want you to miss out on feb 7th ;)