ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic Budget Valver Project

Well everyone else seems to have a project thread so i thought id do one. Its very slow progress and i dont have a lot of money so not alot has been done to it.

first it all started with my clio RT:

DSC01215.jpg

this snapped its cambelt, so i thought, f**k it il find a valver for it.

i started searching and i found a complete valver for sale near essex for silly low money but it was a mission and due to snapped gearbox mount bolts it would need trailoring back. i checked a couple of days later and he had lowered the price further so i snapped it up.

the car had no interior or wheels so i unbolted the front seat out of my RT (i had a valver interior in that) and took of my wheels, booked a van and trailor and set off to pick it up.

when we got there, it was on axel stands so after it starting first time (apparently it haddnt been started for like a month, and it had no battery on it) we loaded it onto the trailer.

wheels on:

DSC01563.jpg

on the trailor

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01566.jpg

the arches were dead but everything else looked sweet, and the engine was on just under 70K! that is awesome for a phase 1 valver. this was all backed up by paper work too.

no i had a decision, do i break the valver and put the engine in my RT, or do i fix both. i decided that this tungsten phase 1 was too good to break so i started getting it roadworthy. It needed the gearbox drilling out and welding as the bolts had snaped in it. it needed an exhaust, an interior and numerous other bits and pieces but i loved it.
heres how it looked whilst it was waiting to go get the gearbox sorted:

side exit/missing exhaust lol

DSC01578.jpg

Rusty arches:

DSC01572.jpg

starting to put the interior in:

DSC01570.jpg

in the meantime while the valver was away i decided to fix the snapped cambelt on my RT. no i have NEVER done anything on an engine in my life before this so i was nervous, but i decided what the fvck, i may aswell have a go:

DSC01677.jpg

DSC01680.jpg

a fair few hours and mistakes later, i tried starting it and barely turning over twice it came back to life!! to say i was happy/suprised/in disbelief was an understatement!

anyway i got the valver back, freshly though its MOT and roadworthy. i love the power! such a step up from the RT.

DSCN0014-1.jpg

DSCN0004-1.jpg

DSCN0001-1.jpg

couple of pics by F0xy (hope you dont mind) with his beast

F0xy9.jpg

F0xy3.jpg

can see the difference between tungsten and xerox!

i drove it like this for a while not really doing much and then i decided it needed some stuff doing.

i took the fromt apart when i was bored one day and decided to try tidy the engine bay

Image006.jpg

To:

Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

lol

and then i finally decided the arches needed sorting, my dads friend owns a bodyshop so i booked it in and the results:

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

and thats it so far!
i know its not much and a pretty boring project but im happy with it so far.
next steps are lowering (obv) and a ph2 grille as i hate the ph1 ones (thats why it has no grille at the min)
im gonna take the engine out pretty soon too as i dont think the cambelt has been done yet, do the cambelt and the rest and put my piper fast road cams in. then exhaust and it should look half decent!
thanks for the read, ill try keep it updaded however slow the project might be!

Last edited:
  E36 328
Looking good mate! Like the black on grey.

Post up how you find the cams when you fit them as I was looking into getting some but not sure about the gains without remap etc cos I also don't have a lotta money!

cheers, the black on gray just happened as these were the wheels i put on off my old car.
i think the orange vent looks too much tbh, im gonna spray it black but i think ill spray the calipers orange lol

yeah will let you know, i dont think it will be that hard to put the cams in so when they are in ill post a mini review haha.

cheers everyone

F0xy - Soon lol, just need to gain the b****cks to take out the engine lol

Beef-Mc - £100 lol, but had abit spent on it getting it back home/roadworthy/bodywork etc

JDM Dc2
y000, glad to see you've finally got a project on the go... and your comment uptop 'to make it half decent' its more than half decent IMO!... arches look really good now too... get that bonnet vent satin black altho it is my fault for it being orange haha...

yup chesh as f0xy says, off him. im abit weary about fitting the kent pullies though.....

aye riggerz, thought it was about time. and yes, i blame you fully for the orange vent haha

nickharding, cheers, i try lol

JDM Dc2
yup chesh as f0xy says, off him. im abit weary about fitting the kent pullies though.....

aye riggerz, thought it was about time. and yes, i blame you fully for the orange vent haha

jord told me yesturday to make sure you get a chip with a raised rev-limit at the same time as there'll hardly wont be any difference iirc

yeahh the one im on about getting has.

matteh, yer it was jamies fault that bonnet vent, i just havnt got round to spraying it black agen lol. as for the ph1 grille? behave, i took it off cos i hate the ph1 items haha, im on the lookout for a ph2 one haha

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
bringing valver back from the dead = hero.....

good on ya...always nice to see a car turned around

williams and trophy

in my experience id throw the kent pullies. preferably into the canal.

Mk1 F4R
Its looking good now mate
did it have bad arches last time i drove it, looks like a good job now its been fixed
wots next for it?
fit the cams

172 ph2
SWEEEET M8...i had a grey valver and did my trim and calipers orange 2..lookes mint..
u know u wana get some standard alloys and spray them orange 2..il post pics of mine so u can see how it looks with tango'd wheels

what f0xy said, they break a little too often and all 16 valves die.

yup adam, as rigby said only had them done last week. not too happy with the colour match though, the new paint looks far too blue! but we'll see after a good polish.

as i said, next things are cambelt/cams, ph2 grille and lowered on some springs for now

oh and never lend your car to your mums ever, come back tonight with 3/4 around the front passenger wheel kurbed to f**k :(

well not much of an update...

got my ph2 grille on, but its white lol. got some tungy spray paint mixed up but not got round to spraying it yet.

got my front brakes sorted as one of the calipers were siezed, got some green stuff pads too. not the best but they will do for road use.

polished up my forge expansion tank too as that was a mess.

also this happened today:

P1631_22-10-09.jpg

car got broken into today and 90P in coppers got stolen lol, thread here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=461639

sorry for lack of pics/s**t update, will get pics soon ;)

182+1.5DCI+S2000
sigh if i saw somebody doing that...and even if it was not my car i would smash there face in..(whooops out pocket knife) :evil:

yehh, its nothing special but it keeps me happy lol

rigby - yehh vent and grille and hocky sticks will be going tungsten when i get chance.

just need to clear out the garage now as i have found myself an engine crane to lend :D

Right! had to propper search for this thread as it has eben so long since i updated!

long story short, headgasket has been on its way out for a while, so i took it off the road a couple of months ago. due to my final uni exams, thats where it stayed up untill a few days ago.

It was decided that i was gonna take the engine out for a few reasons

1. It was a mess, so i would be able to clean it all up, and clean the bay
2. It would be easier to work on
3. I wanted to
4. I would be able to do all belts, water pump, etc etc.

i also have purchased some GAZ coilovers (2nd hand) so there going to go on too :)

i had a little help along the way

P1601_15-03-10.jpg

P1637_20-05-10-1.jpg

P1640_20-05-10-1.jpg

P1704_28-05-10.jpg

P1724_28-05-10.jpg

P172403_28-05-10.jpg

Had some help from Andy Murray, complete with Tennis (badminton) racket too!

P1657_28-05-10.jpg

Cheers, Nick.