ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery / Alternator issues with odd noise

Hi Guys, I own a 172 02 plate and have been having a few issues with it this weekend. I went to start it one evening, and it turned over very slowly, once, then nothing happened. I assumed the battery had gone and charged it. It started fine the next night so I took it for a long drive to give it some power. (No warning lights at all)

Once i got back i turned the ignition off turned off auto lights and tried to start it up again. the engine wouldn't turn. (STOP & Battery dash lights on, but thought this happens at ignition anyway?) I just got some very odd sounds from the ignition area, possibly closer to the engine bay. I'm guessing its the alternator thats gone, but i recorded the sound to see if any one could help identify whats going on.

At first you hear the keys turn, at around 4 seconds theres a buzz as I'm trying to start. then an even deeper buzz/rattle. so i let the keys off and leave the ignition on and it goes back to the first buzz followed by some air-y clicking sounds Ive not head before, until finally the blowers come on at around 14 seconds. Obviously i stopped doing this straight away to avoid damaging something else.

If any one has any thoughts on what might be going on it would be good to hear your thoughts. Its dark now, but tomorrow i'm going to check alternator cable, bracket etc for the standard issues.

Cheers

Hi Guys, I own a 172 02 plate and have been having a few issues with it this weekend. I went to start it one evening, and it turned over very slowly, once, then nothing happened. I assumed the battery had gone and charged it. It started fine the next night so I took it for a long drive to give it some power. (No warning lights at all)

Once i got back i turned the ignition off turned off auto lights and tried to start it up again. the engine wouldn't turn. (STOP & Battery dash lights on, but thought this happens at ignition anyway?) I just got some very odd sounds from the ignition area, possibly closer to the engine bay. I'm guessing its the alternator thats gone, but i recorded the sound to see if any one could help identify whats going on.

At first you hear the keys turn, at around 4 seconds theres a buzz as I'm trying to start. then an even deeper buzz/rattle. so i let the keys off and leave the ignition on and it goes back to the first buzz followed by some air-y clicking sounds Ive not head before, until finally the blowers come on at around 14 seconds. Obviously i stopped doing this straight away to avoid damaging something else.

If any one has any thoughts on what might be going on it would be good to hear your thoughts. Its dark now, but tomorrow i'm going to check alternator cable, bracket etc for the standard issues.

Cheers
Hello!

I've not listened to the recording yet but could it be a dodgy starter motor?