ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery drain

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Sorry to bore you all with this, I've got a stinking cold so not in the best mood to be trying to trace the problem but I have discovered this mess on the radio (power in cable I think)

I removed the radio entirely but still get 80milliamps being drawn unless I pull the fuse mentioned above.
Disconnected both wing mirrors which had no effect.
Boot light is going out.

Pretty poor bit of soldering, what is the thin black wire that has been spliced in? Could this still be the issue even when not connected to the radio?

Attachments

• 20201231_161106.jpg
    20201231_161106.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20201231_161235.jpg
    20201231_161235.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Would assume its earth. Confirm by buzzing from wire to body (door strap or something) with multimeter
I'll try tomorrow, Ive at least narrowed it down a bit. One other thing that's dodgy is that there are two wires entering the engine bay fuse box and are then trapped under two separate fuses, proper bodge. I might try removing them to see what happens, I'll get a pic tomorrow

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
It was the earth but barely connected so I've sorted that and cleaned up every fuse in the engine bay fuse box as some were a but furry. I've attached a photo of the two wire trapped under the fuses that disappear through the bulkhead, not sure what that's about.

Interesting to not that detaching the connects2 drops milliamp draw from 80 to 14mAh

Attachments

• 20210101_132214.jpg
    20210101_132214.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  172 Ph1
It was the earth but barely connected so I've sorted that and cleaned up every fuse in the engine bay fuse box as some were a but furry. I've attached a photo of the two wire trapped under the fuses that disappear through the bulkhead, not sure what that's about.

Interesting to not that detaching the connects2 drops milliamp draw from 80 to 14mAh

Those wires would have been the first thing to disconnect to see if it was causing an issue .

But as I’ve been reading your post the fuse for the mirrors when removed cures your voltage draw.

The hunt continues I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Those wires would have been the first thing to disconnect to see if it was causing an issue .

But as I’ve been reading your post the fuse for the mirrors when removed cures your voltage draw.

The hunt continues I see.

I unplugged the mirrors on both sides which made no difference, I've not disconnected the wires under the fuses as I'm not sure what they are for. Would be interesting to know but the disappear and I cant trace them.

I think the Connects2 is causing it though, I meant to write 'interesting to note that the Connects2 being disconnected dropped the milliamps to 14mAh from around 80mAh.

172 Ph1
I unplugged the mirrors on both sides which made no difference, I've not disconnected the wires under the fuses as I'm not sure what they are for. Would be interesting to know but the disappear and I cant trace them.

I think the Connects2 is causing it though, I meant to write 'interesting to note that the Connects2 being disconnected dropped the milliamps to 14mAh from around 80mAh.

If disconnecting the connects2 dropped it by that much to 14mAh then I’d put it back together with it disconnected and see if the issue still exists .

Your not alone .
ef479538921a66a2aed1a80fdfa0c435.jpg

f5a05f91907c46a5a14652a097bfb6fc.jpg

Here’s the Mrs car minimum, it’s a merc , as much as I’d like 00.3mA it isn’t coming down.

Here’s the cause

8ca85849751b432c20ad7165fc52a32a.jpg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yea, thats substantial, perhaps wire up a neat switch to the connects2 if you want to keep it but not have it flatten your battery etc.

Good work. 14mA is like 60 days on a slightly tired battery (20Ah), which is inline with the self discharge rate of the battery and so negligible.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If disconnecting the connects2 dropped it by that much to 14mAh then I’d put it back together with it disconnected and see if the issue still exists .

Your not alone .
View attachment 1513438

View attachment 1513439
Here’s the Mrs car minimum, it’s a merc , as much as I’d like 00.3mA it isn’t coming down.

Here’s the cause

View attachment 1513440

Is that an SL or SLK? I think they have quite a rep for filling their boots up with water

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'd forgotten I'd fitted the Connects2, it must have been the cause all along. Googling it three up a few people having problems with them not shutting down with the ignition on, I should have known really as the one I had in my 182 was a bit of a pain for disconnecting

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Any thoughts on what the yellow and red wires under the fuses are?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
An utterly shonky bodge... if it's for your connects2 thing, I'd guess lives (ignition and permanent) ?

What fuses are they bodged into...
No I've got the connects2 into the back of the original radio.

That's under a 60 amp and a 15 I think the small blue is

Attachments

• 20210101_132214.jpg
    20210101_132214.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  172 Ph1
It doesn’t matter where the power comes from at this stage , you can remedy that later , the main issue is , is what ever it’s powering is that the cause of the drain . It’s needs to be ruled out .

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
It doesn’t matter where the power comes from at this stage , you can remedy that later , the main issue is , is what ever it’s powering is that the cause of the drain . It’s needs to be ruled out .

I suppose if I pull them out its only a case that something wont work, however I'm absolutely certain it was the connects2 causing the drain, I just dont like the untidyness/bodge of it. Probably a badly executed previous aftermarket radio or amp install

172 Ph1
I suppose if I pull them out its only a case that something wont work, however I'm absolutely certain it was the connects2 causing the drain, I just dont like the untidyness/bodge of it. Probably a badly executed previous aftermarket radio or amp install

It sure is a crap install for sure .
Trace the wires ,do they disappear into the car or under the scuttle ?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
It sure is a crap install for sure .
Trace the wires ,do they disappear into the car or under the scuttle ?

I'll have a better look tomorrow but they are wrapped in insulation tape and wrapped together with the two black bonnet switch cables. Looks to go under the screen wash bottle which makes me think it may be alarm related.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have a better look tomorrow but they are wrapped in insulation tape and wrapped together with the two black bonnet switch cables. Looks to go under the screen wash bottle which makes me think it may be alarm related.

Maybe they're going that way to access the rubber grommet which enters the cabin?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
So the red and yellow wires bodged under the fuses are indeed the Cobra alarm power feeds, I've removed them and the alarm led by the gearstick no longer illuminates.

Next question is where should they really be spliced into as I want them tidied up, done a fair amount of Googling but cant find an answer yet.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Just bin the alarm, they're useless anyway. They never go off when you want them to 😂
That's certainly an option, can't be arsed with pulling the scuttle covers off right now, the clips will only beark in this cold. I might just tape up the ends for now.

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Probably not the answer or daft thought but any chance the wires are in the correct place but have snapped off the fuse base. then maybe bodged back over the top and pinned with the fuse.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Probably not the answer or daft thought but any chance the wires are in the correct place but have snapped off the fuse base. then maybe bodged back over the top and pinned with the fuse.
Quite likely mate, I'm having one of those days though, shut the bonnet but forgot the insulation tape was up by the scuttle! Now the bloody release mechanism wont release 😖

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Quite likely mate, I'm having one of those days though, shut the bonnet but forgot the insulation tape was up by the scuttle! Now the bloody release mechanism wont release 😖
my old one jammed like that. got the wife to pull the handle while I joggled the bonnet towards the drivers side. catch was pulled enough for me to open bonnet

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yea, last time I touched mine I had a day like that and decided it was better for everyone involved for me to just go and have a good sulk in the warm.
Better that than grabbing a brick!

Seriously though, theres recoil on the release lever but not much. I think the bonnet pin is misaligned in the mechanism, tried a wire looped round it to tug it but no joy. I cant quite see how getting the bumper off is either possible or going to get me access

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
1609692870894.png

1609692910719.png

Wonder if with the bumper off you will be able to get a bent wire (coat hangar or something) around the latch from below to pull it free of the bonnet pin, would imagine with rad in it will be tights as.

Before using a can opener I would push down on the bonnet and lever the front edge (taped up screw driver pocked between passenger wing and bonnet edge near to head light) over to the left (drivers side) then get her to pull the lever.