ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery drain

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@Touring_Rob I've poked a camera prob in to try and see what's up, pretty hard to manipulate but I got a few glimpses of the pin. If it wasn't so miserable outside I'd have stuck at it but crouched motionless on damp concrete got weary.
The photos are handy as a reminder of what I should be looking at though. Thanks mate, hey at least the drain is sorted and also a good job I left the car unlocked as the battery is disconnected.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Touring_Rob I've poked a camera prob in to try and see what's up, pretty hard to manipulate but I got a few glimpses of the pin. If it wasn't so miserable outside I'd have stuck at it but crouched motionless on damp concrete got weary.
The photos are handy as a reminder of what I should be looking at though. Thanks mate, hey at least the drain is sorted and also a good job I left the car unlocked as the battery is disconnected.

Yes, glad you fixed the drain before making the battery so difficult to get to!! Good luck, hope its not too much of an arse to get open again.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yes, glad you fixed the drain before making the battery so difficult to get to!! Good luck, hope its not too much of an arse to get open again.
Getting somewhere now, the cable is snapped so in fading light I've got the bumper off leaving the grille behind so I have better access to the release mechanism. Any idea which bit I need to lever as I have very limited access and view. Just a photo of the mechanism would do.

172 Ph1
70d2ec0b5b259bb7881274253466150f.jpg

Attachments

• 7830bd30fd753e8174c4853b83fdca47.jpg
    7830bd30fd753e8174c4853b83fdca47.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Too one looks like a mk2 to me, opening it should be easy now cheers! Hopefully RPD have a cable otherwise theres one on Ebay

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
1609794825394.png

So red is the cable, blue is where it goes into the catch. You might be able to cut the outer and yank on whats left of the cable through the grill assuming is hasn't broken right at the catch (which obviously it has because why would it do anything helpful).

Did you try levering the bonnet over while simultaneously pushing down on it and pulling the lever?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think I can get a screwdriver or something thin through from the front to lever the...lever over.
1609795226951.png

Trouble is the lower slam panel support (the vertical one) loosk mighty in the way. You can unbolt it from the bottom (crash bar 2 x 13mm) that might let you wobble the slam panel about enough to unjam it..... Alternatively might be time to begin the hunt for a nice bonnet..... I think after two days I would have lost my rag by now.

No chance you can squeeze a spanner onto the top catch bolts?

Alternatively if you can see the bottom of the catch I would be pounding seven sorts of s**t out of the rivet below to break the mech:

1609795566944.png

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I can get in between the two parts of the slam panel as in pic, then lever over like in 2nd, I hope!

Attachments

• 20210104_213125.png
    20210104_213125.png
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210104_213347.jpg
    20210104_213347.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 29

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@DomP182

I suffered a snapped bonnet release cable and included some details in the thread linked below:-

hope it‘s of some help

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@DomP182

I suffered a snapped bonnet release cable and included some details in the thread linked below:-

hope it‘s of some help
That's great mate! It confirms what I thought possible while looking at it tonight. Any idea what the part number for the new cable was?

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I bought my cable 2nd hand from a mate, so not sure of the part number, but google seems to suggest it is 8200235412.

Here is the diagram on Partsouq

just be sure to get a ph2 cable as the ph1 cable has a different end connection for the ph1 mechanism (Ph1 striker pin is thinner and thus the mechanism in the slam panel is slightly different)

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Is it possible that my radios autochanger socket isn't shutting down with the ignition off? I thought it was my Connects2 that was draining the battery but thinking about it now it was doing it with the auto changer plugged in beforehand.

To add to the confusion I'm using a replacement Cabasse auditorium but my original standard headunit was also drawing higher than normal amps which points to the radio loom maybe? An earth possibly?

Anyway it is solved by having neither plugged in👍

Reactions: MLB
  Clio 182
This has been an interesting thread for me.

I really help someone can assist me.

I want to know any other possible battery drains can be possible?

New bosch battery, all fine for about a month car, used every other day, come to it the next day and flat.( v = 11.9) Left on charge for a couple of days on a trickle (12.6v)

When engine running = (14.6v)

Come to it after 1 day and flat, cant even remote unlock. (manually unlock and alarm sounds until it is clipped onto fast charger)

Is there something i can disconnect to solve problem? (which fuse?)

Sorry im not a pro electrical / mechanic.

No lights or anything turned on inside.

Thanks for any help!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
This has been an interesting thread for me.

I really help someone can assist me.

I want to know any other possible battery drains can be possible?

New bosch battery, all fine for about a month car, used every other day, come to it the next day and flat.( v = 11.9) Left on charge for a couple of days on a trickle (12.6v)

When engine running = (14.6v)

Come to it after 1 day and flat, cant even remote unlock. (manually unlock and alarm sounds until it is clipped onto fast charger)

Is there something i can disconnect to solve problem? (which fuse?)

Sorry im not a pro electrical / mechanic.

No lights or anything turned on inside.

Thanks for any help!

That's a massive drain to do that in one day!

You need a multimeter linked in series and start pulling fuses and/or the alternator power cable.

Clio 182
i know that why im so confused! i complete battery in 1 day. Whats the best way to test if the alternator is drawing a charge while engine is off, fuse , plugs etc.

(sorry for being a newb) something is seriously wrong.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
i know that why im so confused! i complete battery in 1 day. Whats the best way to test if the alternator is drawing a charge while engine is off, fuse , plugs etc.

(sorry for being a newb) something is seriously wrong.

As I said, you need a multimeter set to Amps linked in series with the negative cable and battery terminal.

Start pulling things one at a time and wait for the number to drop considerably.

I'd expect and light or radio or something like that to cause that much of a current draw. Failing that the alternator can back draw current as mine did, but not nearly as bad as yours.

It'd feel warm to the touch if it was that, with it drawing so much.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I recon your alternator is ducked. The alternator diode pack can fail (mine did) alternator got so hot it was smoking.

Best way to check alternator is to charge battery up, plug it in and feel how hot the alternator gets. Do you own a multimeter?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Dont forget to clamp the passenger door switch in the shut position as you'll need access to the fuses from the passenger side.