ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Drain

IDH

Renault Clio
The battery drains if Don’t use the car for a couple of days. I recently notice there is a little red light on the instrument panel that lit up when the ignition is switched off.Anybody know what’s causing this please.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Is it a flashing red light? That's the immobiliser. That's the only light you should see on the instrument panel when the ignition is off.
Can't help with your battery drain. Have a look for user @DomP182 and his posts. You might find some helpful information there.

IDH

Renault Clio
Is it a flashing red light? That's the immobiliser. That's the only light you should see on the instrument panel when the ignition is off.
Can't help with your battery drain. Have a look for user @DomP182 and his posts. You might find some helpful information there.
No it’s not flashing, but on continuous but very faintly.I only noticed it the other night after it got dark.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No it’s not flashing, but on continuous but very faintly.I only noticed it the other night after it got dark.
So it never flashes? What does it do when the ignition is off and you lock the car?
Ive never heard of the light staying on continously before.
Maybe you could get a picture or video if it's visible enough.
How old is the car battery?

IDH

Renault Clio
So it never flashes? What does it do when the ignition is off and you lock the car?
It’s an old car99 Had a new battery and alternator
i’ve started disconnecting the battery at night,so it will start again next morning I’ve a new battery and alternator

IDH

Renault Clio
It’s an old car99 Had a new battery and alternator

i’ve started disconnecting the battery at night,so it will start again next morning I’ve a new battery and alternator
Having said that the new battery isn’t on yet, I’ve no idea how old the existing one is.I had it tested a couple of years ago and it was fine ( just a bad connection.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Having said that the new battery isn’t on yet, I’ve no idea how old the existing one is.I had it tested a couple of years ago and it was fine ( just a bad connection.
I'd try the new battery on the car first. It could just be something as simple as an old battery not holding enough charge and this cold weather will be affecting it even more.

IDH

Renault Clio
I'd try the new battery on the car first. It could just be something as simple as an old battery not holding enough charge and this cold weather will be affecting it even more.
But that wouldn’t solve the light problem would it ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
But that wouldn’t solve the light problem would it ?
It might do. Like I said before. I've never heard of the immobiliser light staying on continously.
Having said that. My 182 died on a supermarket car park. There was no indication there was a problem with the battery, it was the original battery though and 8 years old. It had been starting OK and driving OK.
He did mention something about the immobiliser light if it stayed on continously. Anyway. I fitted a new battery and everything was good again.
Like I said before. That would be the first thing I did, especially if I had a new battery ready to fit.

IDH

Renault Clio
It might do. Like I said before. I've never heard of the immobiliser light staying on continously.
Having said that. My 182 died on a supermarket car park. There was no indication there was a problem with the battery, it was the original battery though and 8 years old. It had been starting OK and driving OK.
He did mention something about the immobiliser light if it stayed on continously. Anyway. I fitted a new battery and everything was good again.
Like I said before. That would be the first thing I did, especially if I had a new battery ready to fit.
That’s interesting I’ll put the new one on and see if it cures it and let you know the result,Thanks again for your help Billy.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
That’s interesting I’ll put the new one on and see if it cures it and let you know the result,Thanks again for your help Billyhopefu

That’s interesting I’ll put the new one on and see if it cures it and let you know the result,Thanks again for your help Billy.
Good luck. Hopefully the new battery will sort out your problem.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Definitely fully charge your battery and do a parasitic drain test with a multimeter