ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery light on Ignition only - Ph1

Evening,

My Ph1 172 that hasn’t been on the road for just over two and a half years is finally back on (occasional start and drive down the short road at the back of our houses in that time). The battery was knackered from being left out in the cold/not used etc.. So i got a new one and fitted it.

When i turn just the ignition on i get the battery light permanently illuminated (along with the STOP + Handbrake light as expected). Once i fire the car up the battery light goes out and that’s all i ever see of it until next time. I’m not sure if this is normal or not as it’s that long since it was in the road.

Code reader doesn’t show any faults, car drives fine. 12.64v reading / 14.54v when running and seems consistent. Last week i did have an issue where it wouldn’t even attempt to turn over but all electrics were working fine (had no multimeter with me at the time, immobiliser light was fine). I popped it on a 6amp battery charger for just under 2 minutes and then the car started fine and has done since. I just assumed there was a problem with the terminal wiring and me putting the charger on disturbed that so i took them off and cleaned them all up. Can’t be a flat battery as there was nowhere near enough time to give it power in 2 minutes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just an update.

I left the car stood for a week after driving it around for a week. Came to start it yesterday and everything lights up as expected just no turn over or no clicking like a low battery would give.

Put on a tester and it shows 12.55v. Put the battery charger on and it begins charging so i left it a few hours to charge up and it then started first time after.

Faulty alternator or faulty battery?