ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery question...

A black one
My Clio is just under 2 years old and coming to the end of its warranty.

I went to use the car the other day after a week not using it and the thing wouldn't start. The starter made a horrible repetitive clicking sound and none of the lights worked and the wipers went really slow/windows wouldn't work etc. I eventually got a mate to jump start it. I have driven it every day since and when I turn the key in the ignition it really struggles to turn over.

Sounds like a dead battery I thought. So I went to Halfords today to get the battery checked & the guy said it was a dead battery & I should get it replaced.

Now, I have an after market alarm system installed and also an amplifier in the boot. The guy @ Halfords said that would void the warranty, and that I should get myself a battery and have it installed by the person who put my alarm in - as they will need to reconfigure the alarm.

Is this correct? Sounds like it will be really expensive :(
Or can I get a replacement battery under warranty?
Will I need to have the alarm reconfigured or should it work fine whoever does the battery installation?

I'm not very impressed that the battery has faile already on a 1 3/4 year old car.

A lot of batteries only have a 2 or 3 year guarantee, but its pretty rare for a battery to fail during its guarantee time, especially if the car is in regular use.

To be honest, with Renault being how they are, they will no doubt blame your alarm and amp as being to blame, and not the battery. Even so, i'd still take it to them first, as you've got nothing to lose.

If you have to get another battery, you should be able to get a decent Exide or similar make with a good 4 year or so guarantee for about £40. Fitting it with the alarm also shouldn't be a problem, and it only takes a couple of minutes to do

A black one
Thanks for the quick reply. :) So you're saying I shouldn't necessarily have to get it fitted by the guy who put my alarm in?

A black one
Also...What battery should I go for? I want one that will power my amp sufficiently and start the car every time without worrying about getting stranded! What's the best quality battery I could get?

The Amp is 150W I think.

A black one
Had a word with the dude who installed my alarm, and he said as long as I put it into 'Valet' mode it should be fine to disconnect the battery and install a new one without the alarm needing to be recalibrated.

Still not sure what battery to go for though. Any recommendations?

1.6 16v clio priv
yes get a bosce silver. I have a second one in the boot running a 2200w system ran for 8 hours a couple of times and wasnt dead. Will still hold charge perfectly too. My original renault battery in the front gave up after its 4th year replaced with same as in the rear never had a problem since.

naples valver
i use a clio diesel battery in my car it powers my sound system and have never had any problems with starting the car, diesel batterys are more powerful cos a diesel engine requires more to turn it over. but upto u just giving u another option.

rich