ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Relocation

Has anyone here moved their battery to the boot of their Clio 172? Will this affect the computer or any other electrics because I will be running a positive wire from the engine bay (connected to the original wires for the battery) to the boot where the battery will be. The negative will just be bolted to the car in the boot somewhere.. would this be OK? Do I need an extra fuse somewhere? Thanks

19 16V

More resistance due to the length of wire, but I woulnt see it causing much of a problem...

So do I need to run another wire (negative) from the engine bay to the battery? Or is it ok to just bolt the earth onto the chassis?:confused:

19 16V

You could bolt it onto the chassis if you want, but if it bothers you or not if you want the engine working as it should be it needs to have its own earth... otherwise engine components may not work as good as they normally do..

You will need very heavy gauge cable to supply current to the starter and then back to battery from the alternator. Ie in the region of 200Amp capabilities or about 16mm squared minimum. 25mm squared ideally.

This (obviously) is very thick, do you want that running down the inside of your car? If so, connect the earth of the battery to the chassis, somewhere in the boot. you should drill the body in a suitable place and put a bolt or stud in once the paint has been taken back to get a good connection really.

Take the existing earth leads to the chassis somewhere and there you go. Alot of work for no real gain on a road car!!!!

Ah.... But there is a huge gain in space at the engine bay, I will fit an air box (Jap ARC one) where the battery was with cold hoses from the front:devilish:

yeah, I thought about that when I installed my amp and sub box, have a fused splitter box so I can do the swap and use the thick power cable Im running back from the battery in the boot to the engine bay... wish me luck!

on another IK mission linton?

tell ya what, ill sort a cylinder head for you and itll give you the largest gain of anything.

Got one sitting in the garage now........dum de dum dum....;)

which garage Ben? Reno? By the way, still have to get the knocking noise fixed, took it in last time and nothing was done (really need you there to get things done)... all the boys did was fill the top of my struts with red grease!!! Not happy:mad:

Your not happy because there is no official solution to the problem.

Im leaving this saturday so not much i can do im afriad.

Take the top nut/cup off and take a picture of whats hitting what......then ill know.