ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bc coilovers rear ride height adj. (and some pics...)

MK2 PH2 02`
I just installed a set of BC Racing coilovers for my 172.
I replaced them together with new front and rear top mounts (rear are the ones that came with the BCs).
I installed the set with its original setup for height, from factory. But i get the impression the rear ride height is lower then it should be. My reference is stock setup that put the front lower then the rear.

The rear damper is with some kind of adjustment for the damper's body in his lower mount. The spring came with 2 spacers, one thinner then the other.
I installed the thicker one(on the bottom of the spring).
How am I supposed to adj. rear height? By adding one more spacer? Or by screw the whole body up ?

Btw, i measured the front height from the sub-frame and its 11.5 cm. for comparing, the Trophy is 15.9 cm.

Anyway, since the info on BC at Clio scene is pretty short i want to share with you several pics of the set while i measured some of the coilover parameters. And some pics from after installation. Enjoy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962071.773948.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962107.056760.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962180.151178.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962207.636221.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962250.427217.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962281.361824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962309.698241.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962333.903253.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431962389.862910.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
To increase ride height at the rear, put more spacers under the spring.

IIRC they come with a 5 & a 10mm spacer.. So you can have 0 (lowest), +5, +10 or +15mm.

Mine I think went with the 10mm so I had a chance to go either way should I see fit.

I haven't done anything to it since fitting !

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, you use the shims to add/subtract height but you can also fine tune with the lower collar on the rear also.

I also run the +10mm and haven't had to adjust anything else:

IMG_1060.JPG

My rear is +10mm over the front ride height as the rear is pretty stiff so there isn't much in the way of weight shift when booting it

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
This is one of the advantages of the 3rd collar which BC/Ohlin use. I'm not sure what the exact value is on the rear collar but you'll have a good +/-30mm either way i'd wager. You're supposed to use the shims to get you to where you want to be and then trim it via the 3rd collar when setting it up on the scales... Do not put that 3rd collar on the last two threads or else the bottom joint will fall off - Use some common sense.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
would hope people would do it the other way round.....first drop the shock as far into the bottom bracket as it will go, then start adjusting the spring perch to drop it, thus losing minimal travel on the shock.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Indeed but its good to have some adjustment either way to get a correct/target CWP on the scales, so going all the way down isn't the best route to go either.

MK2 PH2 02`
Thanks Mick, i am now with the +10 mm on the back and thats how it looks:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432552772.660417.jpg

I have edited the photo just so you can see the ride height (i know its looks bad)

Btw, i drove with the original set up and on hard cornering the wheel touching the arch.. So i screw out the front damper on the front. Right - 1 cm. Left- 1.1 cm( its a Left hand drive clio)
Now the front ride height is 13.5 cm from subframe.
Here are some pics from the process who took only 20 mins.( on jack, popping wheel out, unlock lower collar, screwing damper up with bare hands and measuring)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432553037.727522.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432553065.692709.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432553079.777856.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432553103.934375.jpg

I haven't yet checked the rear ride height..

Anyone have a exact set up from his coil over?
I wondering if i should set up the ride height like the Trophy ( 149 mm front, ~200 mm rear), what do you think?

Thanks, Dambo (;

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Ride height is personal preference much like taste is women. My cup is around FR +597mm and RR +605mm

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned above with regards to the height adjustment. I really like my BC's and i like the fact that the damping adjuster is at the top of the struts f+r meaning no kneeling on wet roads to alter them, and the fact the adjuster can be unscrewed once set if you dont want them on.

Fully soft is lovely and fully hard is.... fun :smile:

Mine are set with no spacer rings on the rear but still the spring platform and protector ring in place.

A few more pics of the kit here::

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58003155@N07/sets/72157644032062787

And how it sits :cool:

16860060169_2053f50433_z.jpg

17020298036_16ab1d1a07_z.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That looks perfect. How does it handle being pressed hard in the corners?

I've tried to keep my ride height sensible so as not to dramatically mess with the factory geo.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely. There's a nice corkscrew on my way to work and its great for chucking it into a bend. I'd like to give it more anger but my tires let it down imo. (Michelin PE2's)

It's also a daily so I have it set 2-10 from soft, depending on what I fancy. Once I get decent tyres, I'd like totry and harden it up and give it some more anger as I know it's good for it.

I really like these coilovers. They also come up like new when cleaned, thanks to the protection, unlike some other brands.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Mint! I love mine and genuinely cannot believe more people with Clios haven't purchased them.

I don't think I've ever had to set mine to max hard. I'm normally around +12 on track and love the feedback but I am on a custom setup.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I went out to get fuel a few miles from home one time and I set it on full hard just see.... The ride home was very hard!

I was impressed with them when @TheEvilGiraffe took me out in he's ph1 with them on. Well recommended for the price and the adjustability on height and damping as well as looks and quality.

My car is currently off the road atm but hopefully next week I'll be back in it. I'll put them through its paces again soon!

dan's cast offs.
Mint! I love mine and genuinely cannot believe more people with Clios haven't purchased them.

if people understood how important pre load was on suspension they probably would buy them. anyone from a bike background knows the first thing you do with setting suspension up is set the pre load.