ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BC Racing Suspension fitted..but PMS strut brace now does not!

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've just upgraded to BC Racing DS suspension. However the front struts do not use the three bolt holes which my Pure Motorsport Strut brace utilised for mounting. Thee BC Racing struts use plates either side of the strut top hole partially covering the bolt holes to locate the strut. So I have a few options; find a strut brace that will fit, modify PMS Strut brace probably by welding strut top fittings to strut tops, or just do away with the strut brace. My Clio though road legal just does hillclimbs nothing else.

Would welcome sensible thoughts/suggestions

Tony

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Like these?
220270_5.jpg

in that case, cutting off the brackets from the pure mounts and welding them on the BC plates (if there is room) would be your best bet.
have doubts about the room though.
next idea would be a new bracket with the larger pcd of the BC bolts.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It won't fit with those style top mounts.

You'll either have to run without the brace or change the top mounts to pms ones.
Thanks.
As soon as I looked at the new struts I realised I had a problem? As you suggested I've just looked at PMS site and unfortunately they only do one mounting type, so if i want a strut brace I'll have to make up brackets. However do i really need a strut brace??

Hi Tony, sorry no help on fitting but curious what BC DS spring rate combinations did you go for? I did Harewood Academy and hopefully make it to a couple of events this year.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi

I went for 9kg front at 8kg rear but there is no choice for rear as in class 1b you have to run original delayer damper and coil setup, rear coilovers are not legal.
May have gone too hard on the fronts but I can drop to 7 kg spring with damper config I have. Trackdays bots run 10 or 11kg but I think a slightly softer spring as tyres do not get that hot and corner speeds are generally lower than trackday. Would be great to see you at Harewood!

Hi

I went for 9kg front at 8kg rear but there is no choice for rear as in class 1b you have to run original delayer damper and coil setup, rear coilovers are not legal.
May have gone too hard on the fronts but I can drop to 7 kg spring with damper config I have. Trackdays bots run 10 or 11kg but I think a slightly softer spring as tyres do not get that hot and corner speeds are generally lower than trackday. Would be great to see you at Harewood!
Thanks a lot. Yeah if not allowed rear coilovers they look like best option, not a lot else can do other than poly bushes and maybe strengthen rear beam.

Curborough allows rear coilover and ARBs but it seems various opinions around roll centre correction due to spherical bearing used but its not part it mount to car only on hub side.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi
Harewood does not alloy arbs or rear coil overs and the correction kit contain the correction kit is not allowed as contains spherical bearings which are not allowed unless fitted as standard.