ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beating the post-VX220 blues... Newbie

Hello all,

I'm new here.

Having recently sold my VX220 after 2 years of ownership and trackday fun I'm looking at what my next track focused car will be. After much deliberation over personal finances and even more lurking on PistonHeads, here and a few other marque specific forums, I'm pretty set on the idea of getting a high mileage RS Clio (cup ideally) with some trackday focused mods. I know this will be a completely different car to the VX but having had a few trackdays driving around with incredibly able 182's and 172's, read from owners on the various forums and watched (many hours of) Youtube videos, they look like a lot of fun and a LOT of fun for the money and something I'd be more interested in than an MX5.

Having just moved to London after many years away, I'm not in a place to buy yet and will post in the "Wanted" forum when I am later this year. Over the course of the next month, I am keen to pop along to one of the trackdays where a few of you are going, take a closer look at them on track and have a few conversations to help my understanding of the car. I'll take a look on the trackday forum and if there are any trackdays I can make, I'll pitch in on that thread to introduce myself.

Looking forward to getting more involved, coming along to a few trackdays (eventually with my own Clio RS) and taking advantage of some of the expertise and guides when needed.

A Few
Hi There... Welcome To CS! If you become a full paid up member, you will be able to view the "for sale" and "wanted" sections and have access to lots more info. Anyway, hope you enjoy the forum!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Welcome to the club dude. Amazing cars on track, these!

Shame you just missed ClioSport Festival. I'm sure several members on here would have let you passenger lap with them!

Yeah, I saw that Typhoon... If I'd come to terms with the fact I had to sell the VX earlier in the summer, I could have been there!

Shame but I'm sure there'll be more opportunities.

Hi There... Welcome To CS! If you become a full paid up member, you will be able to view the "for sale" and "wanted" sections and have access to lots more info. Anyway, hope you enjoy the forum!

That's my plan, I'll become a member in a few months when I'm ready to start looking... where I'm living at the moment has no-where to keep an additional car so I have to fix that problem first :)

Awesome, thanks!

I'll keep an eye out on that South East sub-forum and will definitely be at the next Ace Cafe event, I'm currently living 2 miles down the road... very unhappy that the coucil put speed bumps down outside the front!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Awesome, thanks!

I'll keep an eye out on that South East sub-forum and will definitely be at the next Ace Cafe event, I'm currently living 2 miles down the road... very unhappy that the coucil put speed bumps down outside the front!
May see you there mate! Disappointing, yeah but it was going to happen sooner or later and it's all thanks to the car park warriors and their go faster stripes!

It was going to happen, a real shame what they've done to that strip. I have a lot of memories from that cafe as I grew up in the area and spent many evenings there. I remember seeing a Royal Mail truck locking his brakes and creating a lot of smoke on evening... good times :)

I became a member and am going to get to a few trackdays and down to the Ace Cafe next week. Goal is to meet some of you and see your cars in the flesh - cannot wait to get my hands on my own :)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Hello!

I bought a 172 Cup for the exact same purpose, just for some cheap thrills and it's amazing fun. You won't get anything more capable for the money. Mine is currently just sat in the garage now though. Can't really justify using it, but not sure I want to sell it either!

I'm in the same place right now, I wouldn't be able to use it right now but will be ready to buy soon.

It's good to hear that it ticks the cheap thrills and fun box, that's always the concern coming from a car like the VX. I was at Blyton Park last year and was caught and I let past a very quick driver with a set of A888's on a pretty standard 182. In the paddock afterwards I instinctively asked "wow, what have you done to that car?!" and was left feeling like an utter pillock... he was a very quick driver but there's no getting away from the fact that the Clio is deceptively fast around a twisty track!

mk1 Octavia VRS
They are great fun on track and hard to beat for the money. Being FWD they are a bit more predictable and forgiving than a RWD car when pushing the limits on track.

If you're primarily going to use it for trackdays then the 172 cup would be my ideal choice, though I ended up with a 172 FF because a good one came up locally. I wouldn't set your sights too firmly on the 182 if a good 172 came up locally. If you buy a standard car that's only had road use you'll probably want to replace the shocks/springs/wheels/tyres anyway.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'm in the same place right now, I wouldn't be able to use it right now but will be ready to buy soon.

It's good to hear that it ticks the cheap thrills and fun box, that's always the concern coming from a car like the VX. I was at Blyton Park last year and was caught and I let past a very quick driver with a set of A888's on a pretty standard 182. In the paddock afterwards I instinctively asked "wow, what have you done to that car?!" and was left feeling like an utter pillock... he was a very quick driver but there's no getting away from the fact that the Clio is deceptively fast around a twisty track!

Yes they're really good fun. Mine seems to terrorise much more expensive machinery and it hasn't had an awful lot done to it.

In fact, you should buy it, it's a waste that it's just sitting there gathering dust lol.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
And another clio road car bites the dust. But who can blame you, they are unbeatable in the £/fun stakes. I'll loom out for the project thread when you find a car.

They are great fun on track and hard to beat for the money. Being FWD they are a bit more predictable and forgiving than a RWD car when pushing the limits on track.

If you're primarily going to use it for trackdays then the 172 cup would be my ideal choice, though I ended up with a 172 FF because a good one came up locally. I wouldn't set your sights too firmly on the 182 if a good 172 came up locally. If you buy a standard car that's only had road use you'll probably want to replace the shocks/springs/wheels/tyres anyway.

It's interesting advice mate, I was quite blindly set on a 182 because... horsepower (and I have to admit I like the look of the double exhaust). You've made me think though as the cup edition looks really good. I'll keep my eye out for them and there are also some tidy looking 172 FF's too; I'll probably won't restrict myself too much as I could miss a great 172.

And another clio road car bites the dust. But who can blame you, they are unbeatable in the £/fun stakes. I'll loom out for the project thread when you find a car.

Sorry :(

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I love my 172 cup, there's a few different things that imo make it probably the best basis for a track car, there's no ABS, Air con (weight saving and power saving) and the front suspension has a slightly different geometry. Great fun car right out of the box, although you may do better to hold out for one that has been track prepared, as you will probably pick up a bargain and spare yourself some of the work.

... although you may do better to hold out for one that has been track prepared, as you will probably pick up a bargain and spare yourself some of the work.

This is a fair point. I would love one with at least cup or modified suspension and some engine/exhaust/cat mods. More would be a bonus but you're right, it may be worth holding out for more :)

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
You've made a great choice bud!

Bang for buck you can't beat the little Clio out on track. Granted the costs do start to spiral as the mods pile on, but that's down to self control! [emoji23]

All the best for your hunt. As for advice etc, you won't find a better place than this forum.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I think the best price/performance mods I have done/tried are solid top mounts and koni adjustable dampers. While they don't allow height adjustment like a coilover, they are a lot cheaper than a decent set. A good set of seats and steering wheel makes a hell of a difference too.

Thanks for the comments folks.

I got the chance to drive a few Clio 182 and 172's over the last few days and am confident I'm making the right choice of VX follow-on car!

It has changed my view on what I'm looking for though, I'd originally wanted some track focused mods but I'm realising that these cars are great straight out of the box so I'm coming to this more open minded... Although the idea of koni/cup dampers with AD08's remains very attractive!

The hunt is on.