ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been crashed into

hi all,
i got back from work yesterday to find out my car had been involved in a big accident, in which the driver, who was supposedly drunk/skagged up ran off so I'm preparing myself for a claim on my insurance and without no claims protection and £600 I'm fucked.

It doesn't look that damaged apart from the driver's side rear wheel is facing outwards and the arch is slightly crumpled. I'm guessing that the main damage is going to be underneath to the rear axel & suspension etc.
I'll put some pictures up but just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it might cost to fix on what I've described? Do you think it's possible that just the wheel has buckled or is it likely for the whole axel to have been bent?

It's been towed away by my insurance & i'm just waiting for a quote but on the basis that I think the axel etc. will need fixing/replacing, a new wheel (plus, both the passenger side wheels will need replacing/refurbishing as they've been curbed from where the whole car was shunted about 5 foot along the curb), a new rear wing & possibly new rear bumper, I think they're likely to call it a write off.

The book value for an 02 172 is about £2k from what I've seen but it's in good condition and worth considerably more to me than that. Does anyone know what the process is with buying the car back off them if they write it off as I think I could get £2k for it just in parts?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Re: been crash into

This is why we need gally back :dapprove:

AUDI A5 s-sline
Re: been crash into

So was you driving or was someone else? Don't understand the first bit? :). Gutted to her about the car tho! :(.

Clio 1.6 16v
I would have looked at the extent of the damage but it just bought up google docs and basically told me no can do!

More than likely be written off mate. It will be worthless in the insurers eyes and they probably won't want to pay out so much money on a car only worth about £2k anyway

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
haggle them up to 2.2k for it,
minus the exess, and take £1600 and buy a nice ph1!

then hope and pray they catch the scumbag who did it, and you can claim it all back off his insurance

ps, does your insurance not cover against being hit by uninsured drivers or vandalism??
could this incident not fall into a category like that??

they found the bloke but he was driving a stolen car... apparently i can still make a claim as the other car was insured and so under RTA insurance/Article 75 the insurance company still has to pay out, but since both my policy and the stolen car's policy is with Tesco I think they're going to do all they can to pay out as little as possible.
Sorry, I can't work out how to upload a picture - the mechanic has now come back with a quote of £3800 so far so I think it's fair to say they'll say it's a write-off. I'm considering trying to buy it back as they've said they'll normally sell it for 10% of the market value and I'd hope i'd make more than £200/300 back in parts??

Does anyone know how people normally go about breaking cars - would you pay a mechanic to take it apart as I wouldn't have any idea how to remove an engine etc? Do you think I'd make enough money back? There's only a small amount of damage - driver's side rear quarter, two wheels, possibly the back bumper and the suspension & axle - the front end and the rest of the body work is fine, as is the interior and the engine's only done 67000 so it was in pretty good condition otherwise.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Shouldn't of even told the insurance.

Get the car home somehow, break it and then buy another.