ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been having a few problems with my MBP

Recently my 1-year old MBP has slowed down drastically with start up time, program times, glitching and generally slower.

I know this comes with any computer but I'm taking it along to the Genius bar today to get it looked at, along with the wireless receiver which isn't picking up the new broadband at half the speeds my flat mate's PC is.

My question is, if I back up through time machine, and they wipe my laptop at the store to see if that does anything like they usually do with the iPhone, will I definitely be able to just plug in my ext. hard drive to my laptop and restore everything?

May seem a silly question but it's not something I'd like to leave to chance!

Are they likely to just restore the computer and send me on my way?

Rav4
Recently my 1-year old MBP has slowed down drastically with start up time, program times, glitching and generally slower.

I know this comes with any computer but I'm taking it along to the Genius bar today to get it looked at, along with the wireless receiver which isn't picking up the new broadband at half the speeds my flat mate's PC is.

My question is, if I back up through time machine, and they wipe my laptop at the store to see if that does anything like they usually do with the iPhone, will I definitely be able to just plug in my ext. hard drive to my laptop and restore everything?

May seem a silly question but it's not something I'd like to leave to chance!

Are they likely to just restore the computer and send me on my way?

Do you have bootcamp? If so, turn off indexing your bootcamp partition. That will solve a lot of your speed issues.

Secondly, check the permissions on your HD and make sure that they are all ok, do it through utilities.

My question is, if I back up through time machine, and they wipe my laptop at the store to see if that does anything like they usually do with the iPhone, will I definitely be able to just plug in my ext. hard drive to my laptop and restore everything? If you have setup your time machine properly, with the required folders, don't forget iTunes, then yes, you should be fine. I would personally do a manual backup too just in case, using carbon copy or a similar tool.

Are they likely to just restore the computer and send me on my way? They will use of their own professional utilities to make sure all is ok, if you need a new hard drive, that is another thing. Could be one of many things, or a combination, so hard to give you an answer through there.

I would say you have done the right thing by booking an appointment, let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

G.

For anyone who would like to know, I took it in and some of the programmes had been staying open, using a lot of the 4gb of RAM i have, over 3/4 of it in fact.

After closing a lot of programmes properly, this went down to half, so I am going to upgrade to 8GB of RAM to see if that does anything for me.

As for the wireless problems I have been offered a replacement wireless receiver which will take 5 days under warranty, so I can't complain!

Anyone know where to get the cheapest RAM?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What sort of programs are you using !? :S

I leave my 2008 poverty spec Intel iMac on (it sleeps when I'm not using it) for literally months at a time.. no issues with RAM filling up.

Go to Crucial and fit it yourself :) Apple will want a fortune to buy/fit that... if that's what you were intending on doing ?

Were you quitting programs or just closing them?

Quitting, but when I have them open, programmes like Safari, Pages, Mail are using a lot of RAM when they are all open. The Apple guy said that a directory called 'kernel' was using a lot of RAM, which is the thing which runs everything while you aren't using them and leaving the computer on overnight. This builds up if you leave it on all the time in sleep mode apparently, but I am a bit cynical of some things he said.

What sort of programs are you using !? :S

I leave my 2008 poverty spec Intel iMac on (it sleeps when I'm not using it) for literally months at a time.. no issues with RAM filling up.

Go to Crucial and fit it yourself :) Apple will want a fortune to buy/fit that... if that's what you were intending on doing ?

I will be doing it myself, not even sure if Apple offer that as a service?

Clio 172
I've noticed my kernel service eating a lot of ram recently.

I've just rebooted my mac every now again because I normally leave it sleep and it sorts itself out :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
you want to go careful, kernel likes his ram almost as much as he likes chicken.