ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Belt Whining at Idle

Toyota Paseo
Hi Guys,

I've got quite a loud belt whine at idle (below about 1,000 RPM).

I've had quite a hard time showing my local mechanic this as it only comes in when the car has been driven quite a distance or during hot weather. The problems seems to cure itself overnight and throughout the entire winter never gave a peep.

The car drives fine and idles at 1200 - 800 cold and 500 warm - temperature seems fine, no obvious leaks and coolant is about 1/3rd between mini and maxi on the expansion tank. I'll need to check for play in the aux belt tomorrow morning , is there anything else I can check?

Another note worth mentioning - Cambelt was changed at 101,000 miles that's 16,000 miles ago.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem? - my mechanic doesn't think it's anything serious but it is pretty embarrassing rolling up at every junction with the car wailing away, I try to keep it clean looking but no amount of weekend waxing and plastX can be admired if it sounds like there's 25 live birds in the engine bay..

Cheers,
Tom

Mec 350 slk manual
Hi Tom I have this on my ph1 and now it starting to squeak the other day when I started the car it sounds like the alternator bearing is on it way out .