ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bent engine mount?

Hi all,

I was looking under the bonnet earlier and spotted that the upper engine mount looks a bit warped or normal?
I am getting knocking sounds under acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear so I wonder if this could be why.

Thanks
alzIPGc.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That very slight bend is at the front so will have no affect. When you accelerate the engine will move to the rear of the mount.

What if you accelerate in reverse?

Haha that’s true, it would be rear engined and rear wheel drive then too! Cheers though, I forgot the engine would move the other way during acceleration so this probably isn’t contributing to the knocking sound.

Hammer it back and get a powerflex mount, or just f**k it all off and get a ktec/vibra mount.

Cheers for the tip, i think I will hammer it slightly as per your suggestion so it’s no longer warped. Although I do like the sound of this ktec vibra mount. What are the benefits, have you fitted one to yours?

RB Clio 182
Cheers for the tip, i think I will hammer it slightly as per your suggestion so it’s no longer warped. Although I do like the sound of this ktec vibra mount. What are the benefits, have you fitted one to yours?
Ive fitted the vibratechnic mounts mate, enginge and gbox and i noticed an instant improvement, no front end swinging about when thE engine moves, it feels proper stiff and precise mate, one of the best mods ive done by far.

That sounds spot on! Where do you buy those from? Are they just poly bushes that fit in the metal mount?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What dog bone mount have you got?. With uprated engine/gearbox it will rattle its tits off. At a guess.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
What dog bone mount have you got?. With uprated engine/gearbox it will rattle its tits off. At a guess.
Was just about to say, check the dogbone mount. I've just replaced some crap orange coloured 'poly' bushes that came on a 182 I bought with proper powerflex items and the difference is night and day. It used to knock like f**k with any jerky throttle movements and it's solid now.

The dogbone has standard Renault bushes at the moment and I doubt they’ve been replaced before so they’re probably 14 years old! Although I have already bought power flex poly bushes for that - going to fit it soon and that should definitely improve things:)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I fitted a powerflex insert on the engine mount, didn’t last long. If it was a track car etc then yeah, but on a road car nah.

I fitted a powerflex insert on the engine mount, didn’t last long. If it was a track car etc then yeah, but on a road car nah.

Have you got a poly’d dogbone mount though? I’m doing the dogbone mount on mine soon but won’t do the upper engine mount if the car drives fine as it is. Sounds like the bent bit on mine is nothing to worry about either

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you got a poly’d dogbone mount though? I’m doing the dogbone mount on mine soon but won’t do the upper engine mount if the car drives fine as it is. Sounds like the bent bit on mine is nothing to worry about either
Polybush in the dogbone will make the world of difference. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't sort your issue out mate. I swapped each mount round on my 182 with the solid vibratechnics mounts i've got on my track car and it was the dogbone that got rid of my knocking on acceleration.